How much time do YOU spend in your cabin?

Murphey

I've cruised ten times and had a balcony four of those cruises. Two were in Alaska, and I would spring for this everytime there. The third time, our cruise was being paid for by very generous inlaws who booked us a minisuite. The fourth time was one of those glorious unexpected upgrades--from an obstructed OV to a Caribe balcony.

Although I would love to have the best cabin available for every cruise, I don't think it is worth the price for me to pay for one. We are up and about so much of the time. It seems that if we are ever back in our cabin during the day, it is to nap....and I could do that in any cabin.

With all of that being said, I've only had one inside cabin and it will be my last. I go crazy without some natural light.

We like having balcony cabins and spend a considerable amount of time there, enjoying the view, especially first thing in the morning over a leisurely breakfast. We are not crowd people, so it is great to have some outside space away from the general hubbub of some of the public areas and the noise of the pool deck.

On Caribbean Princess last week, we were lucky enough to have Baja aft cabin B748, which is one of the end cabins, so the balcony was larger than average and much of the time if felt like we were very alone - just staring at the sea or the port action. The cabin we select is therefore very important for our overall cruise enjoyment.

We always get a balcony cabin. I couldn't stand to be in an inside room as the closeness would get to me. Hubby and I spend mornings on our balcony to have breakfast, sometimes relax in the afternoon and just sit out on it in the evenings. We love to hear the ocean and the waves. Have also seen flying fish and dophins. This is our special place to relax. Had a mini suite once due to an upgrade on the Sun. Was really spoiled.

We are very selective when it comes to cabin selection. We have even booked cruises purely on the availability of the cabin we desire. But I read about so many people who say they never spend any time in their cabin....to sleep and change only. I guess we are strange. We enjoy the privacy of our cabin and find it our oasis in a "sea" of people.

Now, when we first started cruising, we always booked gty's and hoped for the best and were happy! Now.....I'm not sure when the "conversion" happened! ;)

We are interested in what other cruisers think.....(btw, our preference is an aft balcony or caribe bal. Have only done a mini a few times when the price was incredible. Never had the luxury of a suite). Thank you for your thoughts.

ALWAY book suites and ALWAYS spend 90% of our time in the cabin!

We usually book caribe deck and if the aft is available even better:) It's our own piece of heaven.:rolleyes:

Agree. We have a Caribe aft for our May 1 cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Cannot wait! DW and I bring an ipod dock, wine and books and enjoy our time on the balcony.

We usually get a mini-swt with a balcony. We monitor what's going on aboard the ship on Sea days closely and if the event is to our liking we will attend it. We also usually prefer to have a nice lunch in the dinning room on Sea days.

I usually watch the TV schedule for movies that I want to see and if there is any I will watch them in the cabin.

If the weather is warm and nice I do like to sit on the balcony and look at the sea.

We enjoy our cabin and rest up for the next Port and it's shore excursions. ;)

Our first cruise was to Alaska and my husband and I shared an oceanview cabin. Big mistake! As we sailed into Glacier Bay, we raced upstairs and fought for rail space to admire the many glaciers. The next two times we sailed to Alaska, we reserved a balcony cabin so we could enjoy the beauty of the glaciers from our very own space. When we got too chilly, we'd sneak into our cabin and warm up. Having a balcony offers us an extension to our cabin and we are quite comfortable spending time there -- whether enjoying room service breakfast, an afternoon cocktail. or a private sunning session. It's certainly worth the extra fee.

we've had balconies, ocean view, and inside cabin... The best one is....

The CHEAPEST ONE..... I won't sleep well until I know that I paid the lowest $$$ for the cruise :) so now we always choose Inside cabin and enjoy the ship all day long. The cabin is not like a hotel room, it's for storing things and sleeping at night. And the best nap during a day is a nap without any lights! (especially when you travel with small kids)

For me, it all depends. If I'm on a 10-day cruise with eight ports, I'm off the ship every day and spend little time in my cabin. Quite a few of my cruises have had cold weather at least part of the time so again, little time spent in the cabin or balcony. If I'm on a warm weather, relaxing cruise, I spend a lot more time in my cabin and on my balcony. I disembarked this morning from a HAL cruise and had an aft balcony cabin; the balcony was huge with two full-sized loungers, a big easy chair and ottoman, another chair and a table, with lots of room left over. It was too chilly to use the balcony the first day and a half out of San Diego and again, all day yesterday as we sailed from Cabo to SD. So, I got to use the balcony for four days, three of which were port days, and spent most of my time there.

We love our balcony! After a long day, nothing is better than relaxing on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine and good company! Just booked our first aft corner cabin (B748) to experience a larger and more private balcony. We're really excited to try this new location. Sunsets should be incredible from this vantage point :)

We are relatively new to cruising, but so far have always booked a balcony. We are so looking forward to our first Princess cruise with aft balcony this New Year.

We like to have breakfast on our balcony in our bathrobes. We then spend the day out and about wherever the ship docks, or up on deck if a sea day. (Providing we can find a chair)

Late afternoon we have a glass or two of wine on our balcony and relax, read, watch the sea birds and if we're on the right side for the sunset, all the better. then get ready for our late sitting dinner.

I just love having a balcony.

We have booked balcony and inside cabins and have come to the conclusion that the extra money we spend on a balcony is not worth it. We would rather take the money we save on the balcony cabin and spend it on shore excursions. Of course having a balcony is nicer just not that much nicer. :)

Archived