Ft Lauderdale vs Miami hotels

QponQueen67

In January we will be flying in to Fort Lauderdale because the airfare is cheaper to there than it is to Miami. I am leaning toward getting a hotel in Ft Lauderdale but I am having trouble figuring out which one. Are there any hotels in Ft Lauderdale that you can recommend? I am hoping to rent a shuttle the next day which will take us to the Port of Miami for our cruise. That is possible, right? I have heard good things about the SAS. I'm getting overwhelmed with all the hotel choices. I don't want anything real expensive but I dont want a dive either. I'm thinking of something in the $150 range, one that has a complimentary breakfast would be nice...oh and a shuttle from the airport to the hotel too.

Thanks in advance.

Look at hotels in the 17th street/downtown area - every chain is there (including every flavor of the Marriott and Hilton brands), most offer free airport shuttles, and there are dining and shopping options within walking distance. Try the Embassy Suites (free happy hour :D) or the Holiday Inn Express.

A little more upscale is the Pier 66 - you'll need to cab from FLL (about $12 or so), but the pool area is great and we like it.

Good luck! :)

flying in to FLL and plan to stay the weekend and drive down to Miami port morning of cruise.

I probably should have asked this before I just booked at the Ocean Sky Resort on the beach in FLL which I see gets very mixed reviews. Booked via hotwire (first time doing this) . since we are 5 people we needed two rooms, and rates for the end of june were very high. Got a good deal for 2 nights but now I am hoping that I don't regret it.

Does anyone have any experience with this property?

We prefer staying in FLL whenever cruising from MIA. We've stayed at several locations on 17th. Last time was at the Extended Stay. Clean with shuttle from FLL. Definately in the economical category($). The only complaint that I had was the pillows were thin. No breakfast but we like to go to Marina Deli across the street for breakfast anyway.

We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express ($$ - FLL shuttle and good breakfast bar) and the Renaissance ($$$ - shuttle and great rooms but no complimentary breakfast).

SAS has always been our preferred shuttle to and from the Port of Miami. We've used them 4 or 5 times, no problems.

Charlie

I've stayed at a few of the hotels near the FLL port. The Hyatt I got on priceline for about $80 per night in January. Has a complimentary airport shuttle. I found the hotels in FLL much more convenient to eat and pick up any items I needed prior to boarding. Steve at ridesas.com and Alan at acetoursinc.com are both reliable to get to POM. SAS is about $5 per person cheaper I think but if he's not available just want to let you know that Alan is dependable and reasonable also. On priceline I used 3+ stars and downtown ft. lauderdale area 2 section I believe. Check betterbidding.com to see what to do also.

I stayed at Miami Intercontinental and just found there was little around the area and just did not like it as much as staying in Ft. Lauderdale but that is just my opinion.

I am in the same boat (I promise.. I'm not trying to hijack your post!). We are flying in to FLL on a Sunday night, then we leave out of Port of Miami on Monday morning. We are trying to figure out if we should stay in FL or Miami that night. I checked on a shuttle companies site, and they say it will take 2 hours to get from FLL to Miami area.

If we stay in FL, then drive down to Miami in the AM, I don't want to deal with the stress of getting up earlier and rushing around for the 2 hour shuttle ride.

If we stay in Miami we don't have to deal with the shuttle in the AM but we will end up paying more for the hotel. AHHH.

Any recommendations?

I am in the same boat (I promise.. I'm not trying to hijack your post!). We are flying in to FLL on a Sunday night, then we leave out of Port of Miami on Monday morning. We are trying to figure out if we should stay in FL or Miami that night. I checked on a shuttle companies site, and they say it will take 2 hours to get from FLL to Miami area.

If we stay in FL, then drive down to Miami in the AM, I don't want to deal with the stress of getting up earlier and rushing around for the 2 hour shuttle ride.

If we stay in Miami we don't have to deal with the shuttle in the AM but we will end up paying more for the hotel. AHHH.

Any recommendations?

Curious to know what shuttle company told you it would take 2 hours to get to POM.

Have taken SAS from Fort Lauderdale hotels to POM several times and was always at the port in 30 - 45 min. depending on the # of stops we made to pick up other pax.

Dianne

Curious to know what shuttle company told you it would take 2 hours to get to POM.

Have taken SAS from Fort Lauderdale hotels to POM several times and was always at the port in 30 - 45 min. depending on the # of stops we made to pick up other pax.

Dianne

Since I am in CA I had no clue what shuttle services were available in that area, so I visited the Fort Lauderdale / Broward County website. They said that Yellow Limo / Cab is the company that is used. I went to their website (Floridalimo.com) and they give me an estimated arrival time that is 1 hour and 45 minutes after the pickup time. I checked the map and it shows it's about 30-40 minutes.. I just figured the extra time is because of picking up and dropping off other passengers.

I contacted SAS (after learning about them in this post) and they will not be able to pick us up as our flight gets in at 9:45pm. They don't pickup after 8pm =[.

Now we are just thinking about staying in FL the night before, and then taking the shuttle in the AM to the Port.

Since I am in CA I had no clue what shuttle services were available in that area, so I visited the Fort Lauderdale / Broward County website. They said that Yellow Limo / Cab is the company that is used. I went to their website (Floridalimo.com) and they give me an estimated arrival time that is 1 hour and 45 minutes after the pickup time. I checked the map and it shows it's about 30-40 minutes.. I just figured the extra time is because of picking up and dropping off other passengers.

I contacted SAS (after learning about them in this post) and they will not be able to pick us up as our flight gets in at 9:45pm. They don't pickup after 8pm =[.

Now we are just thinking about staying in FL the night before, and then taking the shuttle in the AM to the Port.

Chef

We much prefer staying in Ft Lauderdale anyway. Have done it a number of times. Many (most?) of the hotels on 17th have a shuttle service from FLL. There are a number of restaurants, a grocery, a wine store and more nearby for last minute essentials (especially the wine store;)). SAS will pick you up the next day and have you at the Port of Miami in less than an hour.

Charlie

In January we will be flying in to Fort Lauderdale because the airfare is cheaper to there than it is to Miami. I am leaning toward getting a hotel in Ft Lauderdale but I am having trouble figuring out which one. Are there any hotels in Ft Lauderdale that you can recommend? I am hoping to rent a shuttle the next day which will take us to the Port of Miami for our cruise. That is possible, right? I have heard good things about the SAS. I'm getting overwhelmed with all the hotel choices. I don't want anything real expensive but I dont want a dive either. I'm thinking of something in the $150 range, one that has a complimentary breakfast would be nice...oh and a shuttle from the airport to the hotel too.

Thanks in advance.

For your budget, you can get a good 17th Street hotel of hotwire, Hyatt Place, Hyatt 66, Renaissance, Hilton, etc.

Booking traditionally that will get you a Sleep Inn, Comfort Suites, etc.

I'd do some research on www.BetterBidding.com and www.BiddingForTravel.com (and one other I can never remember) and book through hotwire and get a better hotel.

I'm wondering if it would be practical (and possible) to drive to Ft. Lauderdale, stay overnight at a hotel that offers FREE parking during your cruise and the take a shuttle service to and from the POM as our ship (Valor) departs from there???

At this point it's just about saving some $$$ however if it turns out to be hassle I'll just get a room in Miami and park at the POM.

I'm wondering if it would be practical (and possible) to drive to Ft. Lauderdale, stay overnight at a hotel that offers FREE parking during your cruise and the take a shuttle service to and from the POM as our ship (Valor) departs from there???

At this point it's just about saving some $$$ however if it turns out to be hassle I'll just get a room in Miami and park at the POM.

Nothing impossible about that plan.

Practical? Dunno. We always fly in and have never had to think about the sleep/park/cruise combo. If a hotel offers it you could save some bucks.

Parking at POM is something like $20 per day. So another option would be to find the inexpensive hotel of your choice (where ever) and drive to MIA airport. Park for $7 or $8 a day in the long term lot and take a cab from there. Savings should be around $50 for the week if it's worth the hassle of schlepping your bags to and from the terminal via the MIA shuttle bus.

Charlie

We are sailing on Monday 4/18 and will be staying in ft lauderdale/Hollywood beach area. We land before noon on Sunday and would like to spend some time walking/laying on the beach having a warmup drink.....any recommendations....it's just the to of us....DDs still have college classes.....a hot el with a rest./bar? On the beach? Not too far from port?

We are staying at Embassy Suites on 17th St in Fort Lauderdale. They are 2 miles from airport but don't have a free shuttle. However, your stay includes a manager's reception and cooked to order breakfast. The short taxi ride ride from the airport is about $10. SAS is picking us up the following morning to take us to POM.

For those that have used SAS.....what time do you normally get to the port (POM)? We like to get there early...is that possible?

We have requested a 10:30am pick up time and they have agreed, however, I am moving the time up to 10:15am. There are 15 of us and I want us to get situated and arrive at POM around 11:00am.

We have requested a 10:30am pick up time and they have agreed, however, I am moving the time up to 10:15am. There are 15 of us and I want us to get situated and arrive at POM around 11:00am.

Thanks for your quick response. Does the arrival time depend on where they have to stop between our hotel and the port?

We just cruised out of Ft Laud and we picked 10am for our hotel shuttle, went straight to the port and was checked in and waiting by 10:30 or 10:45 :D

Thanks for your quick response. Does the arrival time depend on where they have to stop between our hotel and the port?

We just cruised out of Ft Laud and we picked 10am for our hotel shuttle, went straight to the port and was checked in and waiting by 10:30 or 10:45 :D

Yes, the arrival time depends on if there are any stops between hotel and port. Fortunately, because of the size of our group we are supposed to have a direct ride. We have caught the Carnival shuttle before and have had to wait wait wait.

We are staying at Embassy Suites on 17th St in Fort Lauderdale. They are 2 miles from airport but don't have a free shuttle. However, your stay includes a manager's reception and cooked to order breakfast. The short taxi ride ride from the airport is about $10. SAS is picking us up the following morning to take us to POM.

Took your advice and booked at the Embassy as well. We will be staying the night before our cruise out of Miami, and the night before our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Found a great rate online, and can always cancel if I find something better or decide to priceline when it gets closer to the date.

Took your advice and booked at the Embassy as well. We will be staying the night before our cruise out of Miami, and the night before our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Found a great rate online, and can always cancel if I find something better or decide to priceline when it gets closer to the date.

I found a great rate as well. Happy cruising!

Do we dare to compare our great rates? I know time of year will change prices but I got my September rate at $111 per night, after taxes will be $124. Sounded great to me!

I don't mind. We are going in July and the rate was higher at $149.99 but I used a discount code for hilton members (which is of course free) and it took $30 off for a total of $119 + tax. I like the breakfast there and I know if my family of 4 went out for breakfast we would spend at least $45. If you want the code let me know. Give me your email address and I'll send it to you. I don't think we can post things like that on here.

Archived