What to wear to climb Dunn's River Falls

klo28910

This might sound silly, but what should you wear to climb the Falls? Do wear swimsuit, or shorts and shirt? It's my understanding that you can bring a change of clothes for the way back to the ship. We are going on a Carnival excursion to DRF from Montego Bay, so I know that we will have a long ride. Thanks.

you can wear what ever you want - within reason . . .

there are no 'buckle' restrictions like at modern water parks - no need to worry about scratching the rocks!

drf9.jpg

There are small lockers and changing areas ... a bit rustic, but functional.

You need footwear that will get wet, provide some traction and not come off. So flip-flops and crocs are out. You can use real water shoes, old running shoes or Velcro strapped sandals that are designed to get wet. They will rent you something but they will charge you as much to rent as you can pick up water shoes in a pharmacy in Florida prior to your trip.

We brought older running sneakers and then left them with our guide at the end of the tour. I was just going to toss them to not worry about a change of shoes...but he was really pleased to take them and give them away. That worked perfect.

We wore swimsuits and brought clothes along with dry sandals.

No problem Mon!

We've climbed the falls twice - once I wore sneakers and once I wore water shoes. I wouldn't recommend sneakers. They don't grip well on the slippery rock and they don't get dry afterwards! You will have a pair of soggy, heavy wet shoes in your cabin the rest of the week. :)

You'll definitely want to take a bathing suit because you'll get wet. The guides will take pictures of you under the falls or falling back into the water.

Enjoy your climb for the very brief period it will last. The guides do not like or encourage people lingering in the waterfalls or pools. THey just want to get you from the bottom to the top as fast as they can, collect their tips and get to the next tour group. A very disapointing experience.

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing visit to DRF, Kathy. Ours was quite enjoyable. The walk up took around an hour and at no time did the guide try to rush us. We kept a steady pace up the falls but it wasn't too fast. Also, there were a couple places where we stopped for photos and that wasn't rushed either.

Enjoy your climb for the very brief period it will last. The guides do not like or encourage people lingering in the waterfalls or pools. THey just want to get you from the bottom to the top as fast as they can, collect their tips and get to the next tour group. A very disapointing experience.

It is sad you had not read more here first because I've posted many times that DRF is a park and you are paying a daily entr' fee. The guides are programmed to run you thru cruise ship style - one quick climb with a guide, wham bam thank you mam - and out. But it does not have to be that way.

Many times since 1986 and most recently in May of 2010 I've visited DRF and spent just as long as I wanted; in May about 4 hours. We climbed without guides - they are not required - and lingered in the ponds and pools for as long as we wanted.

drf8.jpg

on the left is the cruise line ..... we're in the middle

drf9.jpg

hangin in a pool, behind is a cruise line

drf7.jpg

you CAN go up the middle

or hire a private guide for $20

when I take newbies I hire a guide for the first climb - not a big line, our own guide - then after one climb we do it a time or two on our own.

I'm sorry you fell into their trap . . . but then again it is not their trap. This is the way the ships set up the excursion. Go on your own and have fun . .

you CAN go up the middle

or hire a private guide for $20

when I take newbies I hire a guide for the first climb - not a big line, our own guide - then after one climb we do it a time or two on our own.

When you say private guide, do you mean pre-arranging for someone or offering money to one of the guides waiting for the cruise line groups? (I've read about people just offering money to the guides inside the park.)

I am slightly concerned about dodging the people insisting that we join one of the groups. ...so here's my plan... When we arrive, we bypass the groups starting the climb and head to the beach. "No thanks, beach." Then we can spend some time watching everyone else climb & figure out our plan of attack for climbing on our own. Is this a good way to start out?

When you say private guide, do you mean pre-arranging for someone or offering money to one of the guides waiting for the cruise line groups? (I've read about people just offering money to the guides inside the park.)

I am slightly concerned about dodging the people insisting that we join one of the groups. ...so here's my plan... When we arrive, we bypass the groups starting the climb and head to the beach. "No thanks, beach." Then we can spend some time watching everyone else climb & figure out our plan of attack for climbing on our own. Is this a good way to start out?

That's all I do

a polite "no thank you" and walk down the stairs. Hang at the bottom for a break between the cattle calls then start climbing.

And yes you can just approach a guide and offer him $10 to just take you . .

What happens when the rest of the cruise group gets to the top and you are still on the bottom? I would be worried about the bus leaving without me. Does the bus wait until everyone shows up or is there a set time everyone is suppose to be back on the bus? I've been thinking of this shore excursion too.

I would also like to know whether there is a set time the busses are scheduled to leave prior to climbing the falls or do they leave as soon as your "group" has finished climbing the falls. I am doing the River Tubing\Dunn's River Falls excursion and when climbing the falls, I would prefer to climb on my own than to climb in a line of 50 people.

Archived