Ruins and Ambergris Caye?

excursion99

Is it possible to do both a ruins tour Altun ha and make it to Ambergris and snorkle? We are a family of 2 adults and 4 young children. We'd like to see the ruins and then the adults snorkle for about a half hour - nothing major. I'm assuming we snorkle off a boat? Or do you snorkle right from the beach?

Can you recommend a good tour operator that could do both?

If we can only do one which is better? I have seen lots of ruins - macchu picchu, tikal, etc. and we'll be doing the Chaccoben in Costa Maya the day before.

But I think the family would enjoy the beautiful water and if the kids could see lots of fish from the boat or beach, they would like that.

If you want to snorkel off of Caye Caulker & then visit Caye Caulker for local lunch after snorkeling, we'd suggest that you look into Coral Breeze Tours. Do a search for their site for their tour options. We have used these guys twice each year for quite awhile now & have always had a great time on this trip.

The ruins & snorkeling do sound to me like a bit much in a short time span & I'd pick one or the other & give it enough time to enjoy.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

No way to do both. Even the nearer Altun Ha ruins. Unless you're in Belize overnight. Pretty much all day to either place and return including tendering.

I'd recommend doing Ambergris Caye, but it could be expensive as the best way with least time to get there is via air. Via water taxi, you'll have to grab an early one travel an hour and a half up spend a couple of hours at mot and travel an hour and half back. Air gives you about an hour longer on the island, depending on your ship's schedule.

You might also check out going to Caye Caulker via water taxi, a bit shorter.

But look up excursions to Bannister Island or Goeff's Caye from your ship on vendors mentioned on these boards. You can snorkel a bit there. Also ships have boat snorkel excursions.

Good luck.

Two different directions, the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour is easily 6 or 7 hrs itself, going inland on the mainland. BTW, I preferred Xanantunich to Altun Ha, I did both this past Dec and Jan. Ambergris Cay is also a lengthy tour, either by boat or air, and I'm hesitant to book an independent tour there - on my first Belize stop years ago I went directly on a speedboat from the Paradise to Shark Ray Alley and it was also a lengthy tour. Wish CCL would resume that tour!

Archived