Hawaii

SANDEE

My personal preference for the best weather in Hawaii is late September and all of October. However, late April into May is also great. Those are also the least busy, less crowded times. Of course - you don't get to see the whales that you would see in Jan, Feb. and sometimes March. The other consideration is what the weather is like on the West Coast of the mainland because the first 2 days out of L.A. and the last 2 days back (which is a pretty good chunk of your cruise) can be cool and misty or foggy. Personally I feel the best times for good weather for 90% of the cruise is late September, early October and also the least crowded time in the islands. I live in the L.A. area and have been traveling to the islands at least once a year for the last 30 plus years. Just my opinion.

I don't think we have ever visited Hawaii when it wasn't 'crowded'. Even during off peak times there are lots of crowds. But if I had my vote, during whale viewing times is the very best time to visit. Last cruise in February and March, was the best trip to Hawaii we have ever had. The whales put on a show themselves.............and it made the entire trip much more interesting and delightful.

We are sailing on the Golden on 11.23.2011 for the first time, we asked friends that sail to Hawaii every year, they said November. So we booked it.

I did fly to Hawaii at the end of October and it was great.

Come Join our group in November. there is a post.

Mike

Could someone tell me what time of year would be best to do the Hawaiian cruise? We would like to go when it isnt so busy but when the weather would be the best.

Thank You

Sandee

Weather nearly all winter long is great unless you run into a storm which is impossible to predict in advance. We spend a lot of time in Maui & January is my favorite time after the New Years crowds have gone home & temps are in upper 70s to low 80s. We sailed the Golden the day before Thanksiving & returned on 12/8 & found it very uncrowded. Unlike cruises just before us where they had to immediately take a cab to Pearl Harbor to visit the Mrmorial, we took our time & went on The Bus arriving after 10 & were on the tender about 20 minutes later. Lahaina seemed to have only ship's passenges...so late November & early December have been very uncrowded for us whether on a cruise or staying in Maui.

We've sailed twice over Thanksgiving and had great weather in the islands. Weather for first couple of days from LA was cool both times as were the last 2 days back to LA. We had no rain in the islands. We didn't see any whales however so if that's a primary for you, you may wish to sail a bit later.

For Hawaii ..... whatever time best suits YOUR schedule for a wonderful cruise vacation. Hawaii has summer all year round, which makes it a great place to escape to about the time you think you just cannot take any more winter weather!

I have cruise there with Princess 3 times so far, once in January and twice in March. Hawaii weather was wonderful both times. (But LA has always been damp and chilly when I have cruised from there between November and March.)

I have a cruise booked for October that has the Hawaii ports as part of the itinerary.

And I have another mid-March Hawaii cruise booked for next year.

We went in early March 2 years ago and although the weather wasn't perfect, there were absolutely no crowds. As a matter of fact, we kind of thought the economy was really suffering ....lots of shops were boarded up in Maui and we were the only two customers in the International Market on Waikiki. Too sad, actually.....

In Maui, we did a whale watching tour and were really treated to a mother whale teaching her calf how to slap its tail. Wow....that was so cute. The water was so rough and it was chilly but we forgot all about that while on our tour.

We stopped back in to a bar for a cocktail before waiting in the tender line to get back to the ship...again, the only two tourists there and it was right by the port. So, in my experience, this was a time in Hawaii when it was really not at all crowded!

Archived