Question re Olympics for Bill L

tabatha1

Dear Bill

Just wondering if there is any progress re the possibility of Azamara being in London for 2012 Olympics. Thanks for your help.

Hello tabatha1,

Although we have been in discussion with some charter clients, no decision can be taken at this time until the UK port authorities are able to provide the fixed costs for berthing and additional services. Also, I believe that if the charter comes to be, it would not be open for sales to the public. I will update this post when a final decision has been taken.

Thank you for your interest in Azamara.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Dear Bill. Thanks very much. Very much appreciate the access we have to this type of info. Was hoping it might be not be a charter as it would be a great way to see the Olympics. We'll just have to get the bus now!

We are interested in the July 2012 Black Sea cruise. It appears that there is a high likelihood that this cruise will be canceled if the ships are used in the Olympics, so that would be a disincentive to book the cruise?

We are interested in the July 2012 Black Sea cruise. It appears that there is a high likelihood that this cruise will be canceled if the ships are used in the Olympics, so that would be a disincentive to book the cruise?

If you aren't flexible with changing your plans, then it would be a disincentive to book now. Here's another thread on this topic, from January. In the article quoted in the first post it sounds like Azamara is intent on going ahead with this if it works in their favour.

Spend a little time on google using search Azamara 2012 Olympics theres quite a few industry blogs and reports indicating that AZ is still hoping to secure space.

There is nothing that says that have been refused or changed plans on this.

When we were looking at Plan B cruises after our Tunisia, Libya cruise was changed for Oct 2012...We did ponder the Black Sea cruise...

but the idea was quickly dropped

specifically because AZ has expressed its intention to basically cancel it, if someting "better comes along" for them (as in, an Olympic Charter)

Quite frankly, I learned that life lesson when I was about 7 years old when my mom told me I had to go to soccer practice instead of a birthday party because I made a commitment to my soccer team prior to receiving the birthday invitation.

Its the same thing...AZ advertised a Black Sea cruise which is a unique itinerary outside of mainstream Europe cruising and usually offered only 1-2 times a year by a cruise line (if you are lucky). To advertise, take bookings and then bail out on this itinerary which usually only attracts very seasoned travellers/cruisers is just wrong. It mind sound "cool" to say they were a hotel for the Olympics, but to the repeat demographic AZ needs to survive. It's just bad PR

Where2next -

I completely agree with you. We were looking at the Black Sea cruise because we have "done" a lot of the Mediterranean. We actually had a Regent cruise booked for about the same time frame but plan on canceling it due to being relegated to second class status. Azamara seemed like a good replacement, however, I would definitely not put a deposit down on a cruise that may not happen.

Thank you so much for letting us know about this potential issue.

We need to change our scheduled Azamara October 2012 cruise because we are now basically doing that same itinerary a year early in 2011 (after a change in the itinerary of the cruise we were suppose to be taking this weekend). We looked and looked and would you believe that the Black Sea cruise in July 2012 from Istanbul was the ONLY itinerary for the entire year in 2012 that we liked because we have not been to any of the ports. Almost all of the other itineraries are the same old for us, so I guess we are now waiting for the 2013 itineraries to come out.

Its the same thing...AZ advertised a Black Sea cruise which is a unique itinerary outside of mainstream Europe cruising and usually offered only 1-2 times a year by a cruise line (if you are lucky). To advertise, take bookings and then bail out on this itinerary which usually only attracts very seasoned travellers/cruisers is just wrong.

Azamara is not getting it when it comes to the "seasoned travellers" who are looking for the unique itineraries. That is clearly shown on the canceled October 2012 Libya/Malta cruise that is being replaced with a mainstream port cruise, as well as the multiple Egypt port cancellations this year with replacement ports which include Santorini, Rhodes, and Kusadasi. And, the November Egypt cruises being entirely replacement with new itineraries to Italy and Croatia.

Quite frankly, I learned that life lesson when I was about 7 years old when my mom told me I had to go to soccer practice instead of a birthday party because I made a commitment to my soccer team prior to receiving the birthday invitation.

Love it!!!! Just be wary if you book a cruise to Brazil in 2014 :D

B&T

Hello Azamara Followers,

I want to inform you that Azamara will not be chartered for the 2012 Olympics in London and that we will operate our published itineraries, which means that the Black Sea itinerary that you have been discussing is still a viable choice.

Interestingly, your comments about potentially alienating “seasoned travelers” who might be attracted to a voyage featuring less frequented ports is an issue that Azamara considers when making the business decision of whether to substitute a published itinerary with a “charter” operation. Usually we focus on the amount of lead-time before we take the voyage out of our reservations system; the number of guests who will have to be displaced and might be subject to airline penalties and whether there are other voyage alternatives that might serve as a substitute. Of course, the most important measure is whether the “charter” revenue covers displacement expenses so that with this “premium” it sufficiently exceeds the forecasted revenue for that specific published voyage.

We understand how important it is to include less frequented and different ports of call so that we can truly deliver our brand pillar of “destination-immersion.” But that is always trumped by our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests; therefore, the voyages to which Jade 13 refers were modified because of the continued uncertainty in Egypt and North Africa and in an abundance of caution for guest safety.

Thank you very much for your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Azamara Followers,

IWe understand how important it is to include less frequented and different ports of call so that we can truly deliver our brand pillar of “destination-immersion.” .

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Dear Bill..

Thank you for your response on this and the reasoning behind doing a charter or not.

With all due respect, I want to point out a discrepancy in your response

You state that But that is always trumped by our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests; therefore, the voyages to which Jade 13 refers were modified because of the continued uncertainty in Egypt and North Africa and in an abundance of caution for guest safety

While this sounds good, Im very aware that

on the Oct 16th, 2012 sailing you pulled Tunisia from the itinerary

let's be honest it has NOTHING to do with our safety, because if it did you would NOT be offering Tunisia on the Oct 27, 2012 sailing.

Are you expecting such a drastic change within 11 days on a itinerary that is 17 months away???

So, please don't try to BS me and others who study the Azamara itineraries in detail.

Safety concerns most certainly are NOT the reason Tunisia (a North African port) was pulled.

Dear Bill..

Thank you for your response on this and the reasoning behind doing a charter or not.

With all due respect, I want to point out a discrepancy in your response

You state that But that is always trumped by our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests; therefore, the voyages to which Jade 13 refers were modified because of the continued uncertainty in Egypt and North Africa and in an abundance of caution for guest safety

While this sounds good, Im very aware that

on the Oct 16th, 2012 sailing you pulled Tunisia from the itinerary

let's be honest it has NOTHING to do with our safety, because if it did you would NOT be offering Tunisia on the Oct 27, 2012 sailing.

Are you expecting such a drastic change within 11 days on a itinerary that is 17 months away???

So, please don't try to BS me and others who study the Azamara itineraries in detail.

Safety concerns most certainly are NOT the reason Tunisia (a North African port) was pulled.

Hello “where2next” -

I have always found your comments to be reasonable and cogent. I respectfully want to tell you that I was very disappointed that you referred to my response about itinerary changes as “BS” and stating “let’s be honest it has NOTHING to do with our safety.”

On April 1, 2011 the itinerary group published an official list of “Middle East” voyages that would be changed “due to the continued uncertainty” and “in an abundance of caution.” The October 16, 2012 voyage was included on that list and was modified in order to eliminate two days in Libya and one day in Tunisia. You’re correct; the October 27, 2012 voyage includes a call at Tunisia but Libya was never included. You’re right when you wrote that ”Safety concerns most certainly are NOT the reason Tunisia (a North African port) was pulled.” It was Libya rather than Tunis that drove that decision for the October 16th voyage.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion whether I put a “spin” on everything that I post; however, I’m concerned that other first-time readers might interpret your somewhat smug comments as an attack on my integrity and intelligence as Chief Blogging Officer to think that I could “get away with trying to pull a fast one” on the community.

I consider myself to be your “objective ombudsman” to ensure an ongoing, freely flowing two-way communication process between all of you on Cruise Critic and our executive management team. I’m the bridge across each constituency - let’s refrain from adding “potholes” to it.

I not immune to making mistakes and misunderstanding policies and procedures, but I assure you that I’m committed to providing “straight talk” to the Cruise Critic community.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello “where2next” -

Hi Bill

I have always found your comments to be reasonable and cogent.

Thank you

I respectfully want to tell you that I was very disappointed that you referred to my response about itinerary changes as “BS” and stating “let’s be honest it has NOTHING to do with our safety.”

Perhaps I should have sugar coated it more than I did

On April 1, 2011 the itinerary group published an official list of “Middle East” voyages that would be changed “due to the continued uncertainty” and “in an abundance of caution.”

The October 16, 2012 voyage was included on that list and was modified in order to eliminate two days in Libya and one day in Tunisia. You’re correct; the October 27, 2012 voyage includes a call at Tunisia but Libya was never included. You’re right when you wrote that ”Safety concerns most certainly are NOT the reason Tunisia (a North African port) was pulled.” It was Libya rather than Tunis that drove that decision for the October 16th voyage.

You made the broad statement that changes in North Africa were for our security. Tunisia is in North Africa. I understand that you pulled Libya, but there was no reason to pull Tunisia just because you pulled Libya. In fact extra days could have been added to Tunisia as there is so much to see there.

If you had not used an all encompassing North Africa to indicate safety concerns I would not have made any comment.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion whether I put a “spin” on everything that I post; however, I’m concerned that other first-time readers might interpret your somewhat smug comments as an attack on my integrity and intelligence as Chief Blogging Officer to think that I could “get away with trying to pull a fast one” on the community.

I have NEVER said or written in any post that you put a "spin" on everything or even the majority of what you post.

In fact I've actually praised and defended you on numerous occassions since you began working in this position. I remember in the 1st months of your arrival there was one particular thread demanding to know why you hadnt been on a AZ cruise and I told posters to stop prying into your personal business.

(To any new posters reading this, Bill has since toured Azamara ships)

I consider myself to be your “objective ombudsman” to ensure an ongoing, freely flowing two-way communication process between all of you on Cruise Critic and our executive management team. I’m the bridge across each constituency - let’s refrain from adding “potholes” to it.

Bill, be careful on pointing that finger regarding "potholes".

Azamara, has created a need for some serious roadwork all on their own.... (just for record, I rewrote that response a couple of times, so it wouldnt come across as smug)

I not immune to making mistakes and misunderstanding policies and procedures, but I assure you that I’m committed to providing “straight talk” to the Cruise Critic community.

Well, we agree on the straight talk...I will and have praised Azamara for all the wonderful things they do ..you know that and MANY other posters on this board know that. I spent hours creating an info resource page just on AZ on our website, because of my love of AZ.

However, when AZ is not performing to the best of their ability and the Executives of AZ seem to be dropping the ball on shoreside service on numerous issues I will comment on that. Consider the firmness of my posts on an issue....free focus group feedback.

Kindest Regards,

where2next

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Was it necessary to be quite so rude to another poster? Your question and argument concerning the two different sailings including Tunisia was valid, but you have lost all credibility by being so negative and confrontational.

Was it necessary to be quite so rude to another poster? Your question and argument concerning the two different sailings including Tunisia was valid, but you have lost all credibility by being so negative and confrontational.

Ummm...

All credibility?

that's a bit extreme, especially since I've provided hours and hours of positive feedback, tons of port and Azamara ship information to numerous posters on this board who have sent me a 62 personal emails thanking me.

Not to mention the lurkers on this board who actually printed out my information and that we saw using it in the ports we visited last year.

If you really dont think I have ANY credibility..

might I suggest that you use that wonderful ignore function CruiseCritic offers..

that way you will never be bothered by ANY of my posts again.

Bill and I have a diffrence of opinion...

He thinks I was bordering on smug, you think I was rude...

I'm going to refrain from adding what I think.

that way, no one needs to pass around the popcorn.

but I will say this...I'm pretty sure that even Bill wouldnt say I've lost all credibility

Side note...just looked at your past posts..interesting reading! Looks like I'm not the only one in your crosshairs

Hello “where2next” -

Hi Bill

I have always found your comments to be reasonable and cogent.

Thank you

I respectfully want to tell you that I was very disappointed that you referred to my response about itinerary changes as “BS” and stating “let’s be honest it has NOTHING to do with our safety.”

Perhaps I should have sugar coated it more than I did

On April 1, 2011 the itinerary group published an official list of “Middle East” voyages that would be changed “due to the continued uncertainty” and “in an abundance of caution.”

The October 16, 2012 voyage was included on that list and was modified in order to eliminate two days in Libya and one day in Tunisia. You’re correct; the October 27, 2012 voyage includes a call at Tunisia but Libya was never included. You’re right when you wrote that ”Safety concerns most certainly are NOT the reason Tunisia (a North African port) was pulled.” It was Libya rather than Tunis that drove that decision for the October 16th voyage.

You made the broad statement that changes in North Africa were for our security. Tunisia is in North Africa. I understand that you pulled Libya, but there was no reason to pull Tunisia just because you pulled Libya. In fact extra days could have been added to Tunisia as there is so much to see there.

If you had not used an all encompassing North Africa to indicate safety concerns I would not have made any comment.

Where2next, so why do you think Tunisia was dropped from your 2012 canceled itinerary? Do you think it was because the port distance no longer fit into the rest of the new itinerary, or Azamara is just trying to attract a mainstream audience who might be afraid to go to North Africa?

Also, there is a lot of speculation on the Celebrity board on whether Celebrity/RCCL will reinstate Egypt this year as HAL/Princess have done (they are already going there even changing ports back on the World cruise with 4 days notice to passengers). If so, I wonder what Azamara will do. They actually added an extra full day in Ashod, Israel instead of what was originally a half day, which is a very positive change. But, they have not added any tours for that day, probably trying to figure out if the overnight tours start that day or the next day ending in Haifa. We are still hopeful they might do a modified reinstatement leaving Israel as is but at least trying to get passengers to Alexandria for even one day. At least that way they don't have to worry about rearranging the Israel tours, including overnights.

There is lots of discussion on the Celebrity boards with so many cancellations.

• 1 month later...
Hello Azamara Followers,

I want to inform you that Azamara will not be chartered for the 2012 Olympics in London and that we will operate our published itineraries, which means that the Black Sea itinerary that you have been discussing is still a viable choice.

Interestingly, your comments about potentially alienating “seasoned travelers” who might be attracted to a voyage featuring less frequented ports is an issue that Azamara considers when making the business decision of whether to substitute a published itinerary with a “charter” operation. Usually we focus on the amount of lead-time before we take the voyage out of our reservations system; the number of guests who will have to be displaced and might be subject to airline penalties and whether there are other voyage alternatives that might serve as a substitute. Of course, the most important measure is whether the “charter” revenue covers displacement expenses so that with this “premium” it sufficiently exceeds the forecasted revenue for that specific published voyage.

We understand how important it is to include less frequented and different ports of call so that we can truly deliver our brand pillar of “destination-immersion.” But that is always trumped by our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests; therefore, the voyages to which Jade 13 refers were modified because of the continued uncertainty in Egypt and North Africa and in an abundance of caution for guest safety.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

We might have booked the 7/28/12 Journey itinerary had we known about this sooner. We were making plans with another couple and both couples were concerned and we both wound up booking 7/8/12 British Isles on Princess. Quite honestly, I liked the Journey's itinerary better with the multiple Paris overnights and overnight in Dublin. Quite honestly, it might have made more sense, considering cost of airfare so close to Olympics, if Azamara had done this great itinerary closer to the beginning of July. Oh well. It would have been our first Azamara cruise. But we'll do pre-cruise nights right in Paris and have a great vacation as always with Princess and eventually book a cruise with Azamara.

We might have booked the 7/28/12 Journey itinerary had we known about this sooner. We were making plans with another couple and both couples were concerned and we both wound up booking 7/8/12 British Isles on Princess. Quite honestly, I liked the Journey's itinerary better with the multiple Paris overnights and overnight in Dublin. Quite honestly, it might have made more sense, considering cost of airfare so close to Olympics, if Azamara had done this great itinerary closer to the beginning of July. Oh well. It would have been our first Azamara cruise. But we'll do pre-cruise nights right in Paris and have a great vacation as always with Princess and eventually book a cruise with Azamara.

Hello Ljberkow,

I’m disappointed that we won’t have the opportunity of welcoming you and your friends onboard the Azamara Journey in July 2012.

Thank you for letting me know that Azamara Club Cruises is on your radar screen and we’ll look forward to welcoming you on board hopefully sometime soon. As you can see for yourself on these boards, our more-inclusive tariff has created a new level of service which makes each guest feel truly special by eliminating their worry about tipping and by reducing the number of times that their onboard account would be charged for “extra” services.

Enjoy your cruise with Princess next July. If you have extra discretionary time, visit the first phase of our new website to consider a fall 2011 or early winter 2012 Azamara vacation.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Archived