Balcony or Mini-Suite??

stroza

I was thinking of upgrading our cabin. We have a balcony now but was wondering if a mini-suite would be better? We will be on the carribean princess on 5/1. Can anyone tell me if it would be worth the difference?

And what the differences are??

Thanks for any info!!

The biggest difference is space! The mini has a sitting area with loveseat and chair with a second tv. The bathroom is much bigger with full tub instead of shower stall. Personally, we like the extra space but the balcony itself is the biggest draw. It all depends on how much time you want to spend just chilling in your room.

We like to book minisuites but that is a personal choice. Either way, have a great time.

Hi. I like the extra space you get in the minisutes with the couch area and tub too. While the balcony is larger, it is totally uncovered (read: visible to everyone above you who happens to be outside) unless you get one of the 10 or so minis aft on the deck below Dolphin.

3 weeks and 2 days!! yeah!!!

Well we opted for a MINI this trip (May 17th - whoohooooo). Our last seven cruises have all been balconies but on the Carribean Princess (our 3rd time coming up) we opted for the mini because of the bathroom actually. The bathroom is like a closet on that ship and if I were a skinny Mrs. I wouldnt mind, but I'm not, so therefore I want the extra space. It's just an added bonus about the bigger deck. I could care less that it's open. If anybody wants to look down on us while we have our coffee or read our books - then have at it. Just don't drop anything on me or I will be really ticked off and I will find you - L0L

:)

With the exception of one cruise we have always opted for a mini suite. I said I would never go back, however we just booked an Aft balcony on the Crown to experience the great view and the huge balcony. We booked early to get a corner stateroom. This is an alternative to a mini.

If you decide on a mini you definitely won't regret it! Some don't like the open balconies on dolphin deck; we love them for the sun :)

Well we opted for a MINI this trip (May 17th - whoohooooo). Our last seven cruises have all been balconies but on the Carribean Princess (our 3rd time coming up) we opted for the mini because of the bathroom actually. The bathroom is like a closet on that ship and if I were a skinny Mrs. I wouldnt mind, but I'm not, so therefore I want the extra space. It's just an added bonus about the bigger deck. I could care less that it's open. If anybody wants to look down on us while we have our coffee or read our books - then have at it. Just don't drop anything on me or I will be really ticked off and I will find you - L0L

:)

I totally agree on your logic. The larger bathroom alone (whether you use the tub or not) is well worth upgrading. I am not a larger person, but it's nice to have a little extra space in the shower. And the sitting area is very nice for whenever you just want to hang around the cabin and not just sit on the beds. ;)

The only negative to the Mini Suites is the bath tub / shower combination. If you're 6 foot + it's very uncomfortable to shower!! The shower head sits about the 5'8 level :(

The bathrooms are at least 2x bigger

We book all of our cruises on Caribe balconies. 9' deep and half covered half open. Best bang for the buck with that BB category. This past year we tried the coveted corner aft C753 and were not disappointed (fully covered and what a view!). We were upgraded from our Caribe balcony one year and had a Dolphin mini - 7' deep and uncoverd. Some don't mind but we didn't like it being so exposed. Yes the extra room inside is nice but we found we spent far more time on our Caribe balconies and that outweighs any advantage to the mini's in our mind. Just our preference. :)

Our first cruise on Princess, dh and I had a mini. We loved it. I'd sit on the sofa and read for hours.

Our Second we opted for a reg balcony. It was nice ( what balcony isn't nice,;) ) but really should have taken a mini again. We ordered the ultamate balcony breakfast and they bring so MUCH, we had the bed COVERED with food. :eek:

This next one, we are back to a mini. :D

For us its based on itinerary. If there are lots of sea or scenic days (like the Panama Canal) we'll go mini for the extra space because we will be in our cabin more. For a med cruise 5/6 days are in port, so we went regular balcony and even considered oceanview, but the prices were close and we like the fresh air.

We've done everything from an inside to a suite. If money is no object going for the extra space is usually the best bet. Princess mini and full suites are out for us since my DW can't handle stepping into the tub so we stick with balcony or outside cabins with shower stalls. The Caribe deck cabins are great with the larger balconies and always try to book those if it will be a warm weather cruise. We go with an outside on cool weather itineraries. If you won't be spending much time in your cabin, save money and go for the balcony cabin. As we age we seem to spend much more time in our cabin so comfort has become a key issue. BTW, HAL's newer ships have full and smaller suites that have both a tub and a shower stall.

We've done everything from an inside to a suite. If money is no object going for the extra space is usually the best bet. Princess mini and full suites are out for us since my DW can't handle stepping into the tub so we stick with balcony or outside cabins with shower stalls. The Caribe deck cabins are great with the larger balconies and always try to book those if it will be a warm weather cruise. We go with an outside on cool weather itineraries. If you won't be spending much time in your cabin, save money and go for the balcony cabin. As we age we seem to spend much more time in our cabin so comfort has become a key issue. BTW, HAL's newer ships have full and smaller suites that have both a tub and a shower stall.

FYI-Most full suites on the larger ships of Princess have a seperate shower, so no stepping into the tub. ;)

FYI-Most full suites on the larger ships of Princess have a seperate shower, so no stepping into the tub. ;)

I didn't realize that the larger Princess ships have suites with both shower stall and tub. They would generally be more than we want to spend. The smaller HAL veranda suites are affordable for us and have the tub and shower stall combination. If we are really lucky that may lead us into a deluxe veranda suite like it did on our last HAL cruise due to an upsell offer. Looking at the suite amenities for Princess, they are almost exactly the same as the HAL suite amenities but no mini bar setup on HAL. HAL has the wonderful Neptune Lounge with the great concierge service. A wonderful way to travel on either line.

We have done balconies, minis, and C753. C753 is a wonderful cabin, particularly on an itinerary with some sea days. We love minis because of the extra room, but are satisfied with balconies. I approach the situation like this - - - if I find a great balcony for a price I am satisfied with, I book it. If later a gret mini comes available for about that same price, then I book the mini. Then I feel I have the best cabin for us at a price I am happy with. Like anything about cruising, different people have different views. We like the open, uncovered dolphin deck minis, but are happy with the larger balconies on Caribe deck. For us the most important thing is the itinerary. A nicely priced mini on a great itinearary is about as good as it gets. We have a mini for our upcoming Fall TA and are really looking forward to the extra space, particularly on the sea days.

I absolutely agree with you Jerry! We typically book mini suites, however we opted for an aft balcony for a 14 day cruise we just booked. I just didn't see spending the added $$. I remember when mini suites had separate tub and showers! Those were the days :rolleyes:

63830770_vbkqJ-L-3.jpg

63830779_CeXXr-L-3.jpg

Dave

I absolutely agree with you Jerry! We typically book mini suites, however we opted for an aft balcony for a 14 day cruise we just booked. I just didn't see spending the added $$. I remember when mini suites had separate tub and showers! Those were the days :rolleyes:

63830770_vbkqJ-L-3.jpg

63830779_CeXXr-L-3.jpg

Dave

Dave, but those were only on the Sun Class ships, and they were much higher in price than the minis on the larger ships are now, and there were a lot fewer of them too. ;)

We are looking at a couple of cruises on the 'Dawn' from our home city, Melbourne to New Zealand for 2012.

We have previously cruised several times on Oceania or HAL.

I have done a search and scrolled through numerous postings here, and it looks to me that the Mini-Suites, do not have covered balconies?

I cannot find any information in relation to balconies for the Suites, and would be grateful if anyone could advise if they have covered balconies please.

We are looking at a couple of cruises on the 'Dawn' from our home city, Melbourne to New Zealand for 2012.

I have done a search and scrolled through numerous postings here, and it looks to me that the Mini-Suites, do not have covered balconies?

I cannot find any information in relation to balconies for the Suites, and would be grateful if anyone could advise if they have covered balconies please.

Try the aft minis, as they do have a covered balcony on the Sun Class ships.

Have done both mini suite and balcony cabins, and although the extra space is nice in the mini, I prefer to have the larger balcony which is half covered / half exposed on the caribe deck cabins, as I tend to spend more time on the balcony than I do in the room. Its an individual thing though and each to their own.

And I will add to your 2 cents

We love the mini's because we are not. I also do not mind others looking down on me because I do not have to look down on anybody just the water (love it). As far as being open it is great at night (if nobody leaves the lights on around you). Water below stars above.

Oh dear we have 6 months and 9 days to go. I can't wait to be on our balcony.

Laura

Totally agree with you Laura! We usually book a mini on Dolphin deck because we enjoy the open balcony. If people want to look down on us...Go for it :p

Wish it was a little bigger though! Trying our first aft corner cabin this coming February.

All balconies regardless of regular stateroom, mini-suite or full suite on the Dawn are covered. The aft minis are laid out a bit differently than those on the port/starboard sides and the balconies are a bit deeper but, again they are covered as are the side ones.

The discussion of covered, not covered and 1/2 of each really only applies to the newer larger ships in Princess's fleet.

All balconies regardless of regular stateroom, mini-suite or full suite on the Dawn are covered. The aft minis are laid out a bit differently than those on the port/starboard sides and the balconies are a bit deeper but, again they are covered as are the side ones.

The discussion of covered, not covered and 1/2 of each really only applies to the newer larger ships in Princess's fleet.

I must have had the larger ships on my mind when I responded earlier. I totally agree with larsen, ALL of the balcony cabins, whether they are mini suites or not are fully covered on the Sun Class ships. :o

Archived