Engine room tour?

Laszlo

Get me around anything with a motor in it and I want to see what makes it go. You ladies might not understand unless your married to someone like me:)

Do they offer any tours that take you to the engine / mechanical rooms of the ship? I don't need to see the kitchen or laundry room.

Thanks

No. When we did our behind the scenes tour on the Star recently, we asked about this. We were told that the engine room was off limits to passengers and they did not do tours of that area.

Laszlo, I am the same way. I love mechanical stuff, especially engines. I did a behind the scenes tour on Princess, and the took us to so many things. Engine room was off limits, but we did get to see the engine control room, which we got to see all the computers that run the engines and live cameras.

Have been thinking about a cruise on the Epic for next year, hope they have a tour like this. I would go again!

hubby has wanted to do this since we started cruising we were told years ago that they dont do anything like this since 9-11.

we had a Bridge Tour....join your Roll Call for the best chance of that one...that was really pretty COOL being up there and seeing how it is all done with the computers and such, and the LOOK OUT guy spottin the whales and dolphins:Dactually we spotted them before the "Official Spotter";)

Those are some pretty loud compartments, probably one of the reasons they are off limits. They are amazing to see in action I must say.

I'll bring my own ear protection, heck I'll even volunteer to do so work below.:D

Thanks for the replies, nice to see a few other think like I.

I'll bring my own ear protection, heck I'll even volunteer to do so work below.:D

Thanks for the replies, nice to see a few other think like I.

The engines are pretty cool, I myself would like to take a tour to see them underway. A building I use to work in had an old submarine engine in the basement for backup power, it was fun to watch them fire it up every so often.

I, too, would love an engine room tour! But since they're not likely to be offered anytime soon, I'd recommend a visit to the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. Not only can you get up close and personal with the engines, you can also follow the propeller shafts as they snake their way back. And you can visit the steering mechanism where the rudder is attached. It's definitely not for the claustrophobic!

Archived