Insignia - Internet questions

webpixi

I'm going on the Wonders Of The Ancients That Are Still Safe to Visit (April 23, Rome departure) - my first cruise ever.

My parents are paying for this, so I didn't choose this date. I work as an instructor (Technical Writing, Freshman Comp) at a local university, and my chair was understanding enough to let me call the class "hybrid", and so I'm officially teaching online while on this trip.

I am setting up a lot of things on the school's (slow) web based system (BlackBoard), so the "instructing" part is handled. And I have a pseudo-TA who will go into that system for me (we've tested this), and grab the files and posts from students, and send them to me in a single email.

However, I read on these boards of one time where the internet was completely broken for the entire cruise. Are there McD's with free wi-fi in the eastern mediterranean?

Also, many people say the internet is "slow" while on ship. How slow is slow? Is it like the days of the 1200 baud modem, where you can read faster than the text displays, or is it just not as fast as we're used to at home, so videos would be bad, but emails with attachments are just a little slower to grab?)

Another related question - Has anyone used Outlook Express while on board? (I've noticed some places with wi-fi block that network port, but when it works, it's the fastest thing, and I can do lots of responding while offline.) If OE works, then I just need 10 minutes of access per day or less.

I know many will say "relax, it's vacation," but I can't be 100% on vacation. I would have chosen a different time, if I had $$ to buy my own cruise. So I'm trying to play by parents' rules and work rules.

It can be slow but it is not too bad ..not fast like at home on cable

I use Eudora for a mail reader, worked fine

Did have a problem last summer replying to my mail & had to use my webmail site

But this past cruise it worked OK ( I think it was my settings) as that was the first time a problem with Eudora while travelling

I would think OE would also work

Lyn,

My computer geek tells me I'm the only person he knows who still uses Eudora. I'll have to tell him about you!

I haven't had problems using Eudora on board either. But yes, not nearly as fast as at home!

Lyn,

My computer geek tells me I'm the only person he knows who still uses Eudora. I'll have to tell him about you!

I guess we are just behind the times or we just know what we like & stick with it ;)

Lyn

I think it's the latter. Eudora is still superior to anything else I've ever tried.

But I do get attached to the systems I use and have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the next one!

We were on Insignia from Buenos Aires to Barcelona this past month. In my opinion the internet has improved considerably since our last cruise, and the internet manager stated that they had upgraded the system. There are wireless hubs all over the ship (we were somewhat aft, and had one just a few doors away - look for the inverted dome on the ceiling). Although it seemed like dial-up during peak hours, we could usually download our email (about 40-45 messages) in two minutes if we used it early in the morning or in the evenings. I think you can make it work for you. On this 19 day voyage, we really only lost internet once somewhere in the middle of the ocean, but there a number of times the TV lost satellite reception.

It's not bad and they are very helpful in the computer room. Each time I go it seems to be a bit better. If you search our ports on cruise critic, many times it will tell you where you can find an internet cafe e.g. Cosmo Internet Cafe on Jewish Square in Rhodes.:)

I was on Nautica this Jan/Feb and got to understand the system and capabilities very well. As a currently working executive, it was extremely important that I kept up with my emails and in touch with the office daily. But I also did not want to spend more than the cost of the cruise itself for internet service - you laugh? It can easily be done!

Here is what I discovered:

There are two systems: internet and cruise mail.

USING THE INTERNET SYSTEM IS NOT THE MOST COST EFFICIENT WAY TO GET YOUR EMAIL - CRUISEMAIL IS. SEE BELOW ON HOW TO USE CRUISEMAIL TO YOUR BENEFIT.

Internet:

Cost - without discounts it's $1.00 per minute. That's $1,440 per day! If you buy their package you can cut it down to $720 a day.

Speed - its as slow as your first AOL dial up modem in 1998. You can spend 2-5 minutes just to get to your email.

If you use Comcast, ATT, Roadrunner, etc. make sure you know your username and password and how to get to the log-in screen. Many passengers are used to using their home PC/Mac where they just hit a "Mail" icon to get to their inbox and don't know another way. That will not work on the ship. You need to know your mail provider - for example, if you use Comcast, how to go to Comcast.net and enter your username and password and get to your inbox. Same if you are using an IPAD.

If you have a Kindle, load everything before you leave!

If you like to surf the net (Ebay, Facebook etc.) remember is very expensive. On shore you will find plenty of internet cafe's and hotels that will have much cheaper access - even on your IPhone.

CRUISEMAIL:

Before you leave on your cruise, Oceania provides you with a CruiseMail address. You can receive unlimited emails at this address for FREE. It costs $2.95 to respond to the email - even if it takes you two hours to write the response. You can even write a response, save a draft, come back to it and send it for $2.95. On the internet system it will cost you $1.00 for each minute it takes you to just write the reply. And think how much email you get that you just want to read and never reply to - these are all FREE.

What I did was before I left: I had all my email from multiple accounts forwarded to the cruisemail email address I was given beginning on the first day of the cruise. You need to set this up before you leave. Work with your provider on how to do this. Then on the boat I received over 1,000 emails during my trip for FREE and responded to only a few. This was FAR CHEAPER than using the INTERNET system.

The Oceania person on-board does not know the CruiseMail system and gets people to the internet - I suspect to make the line more money. They almost discourage the use of CruiseMail.

I have given Oceania feedback that they need to lower the price and have unlimited service for just a premium over what a good hotel would charge - like $25.00 a day instead of $1,440 per day. There were people who didn't know how to sign out of the internet and the thing would keep charging their credit card and they would have a $700 bill on the first day!

ADVICE FOR PHONE USERS:

Especially for smart phones (Iphone, BlackBerry) make sure you turn off roaming, wi-fi and location services while on board the ship (best to have your phone powered off completely). If it is on you will get reception from the boat's service which is not covered under ANY plans. Even international unlimited plans. If you use your cell phone on board thinking you are fine because you have an international plan, you will have a HUGE bill when you get back.

When you are off the boat, then turn on your phone and roaming, or use the wi-fi piece for internet access.

Good Luck!

Then on the boat I received over 1,000 emails during my trip for FREE and responded to only a few. This was FAR CHEAPER than using the INTERNET system.

Interesting

but did you have time to enjoy the cruise ;)

CRUISEMAIL:

Before you leave on your cruise, Oceania provides you with a CruiseMail address. You can receive unlimited emails at this address for FREE. It costs $2.95 to respond to the email - even if it takes you two hours to write the response. You can even write a response, save a draft, come back to it and send it for $2.95. On the internet system it will cost you $1.00 for each minute it takes you to just write the reply. And think how much email you get that you just want to read and never reply to - these are all FREE.

What I did was before I left: I had all my email from multiple accounts forwarded to the cruisemail email address I was given beginning on the first day of the cruise. You need to set this up before you leave. Work with your provider on how to do this. Then on the boat I received over 1,000 emails during my trip for FREE and responded to only a few. This was FAR CHEAPER than using the INTERNET system.

I have to send a lot more outgoing than I'll have incoming (75 students to give feedback to), and I can compose offline, and batch-send the messages. The built-in email reminds me of the days of the Prodigy pre-internet system, when it suddenly started charging $0.25 per email -- insane!

Since I can easily enable/disable my network card on my laptop, I won't have to worry about being charged for taking a long time to respond. I'll download, disconnect, prep-responses, batch-send, and probably check other online stuff too.

Another question - if my husband and I each bring laptops, do we share 1 internet package for the room?

And do they provide a count telling you your used-minutes status?

Thanks!

Another question - if my husband and I each bring laptops, do we share 1 internet package for the room?

And do they provide a count telling you your used-minutes status?

Thanks!

You can use the same log in name that you set up for your account and as long as you are not on at the same time .... that is the way we did it.

After you log off it does come up with a summary of time used , time left in your package or if you just use the per minute rate it will tell you what the session cost was

Archived