Help with dining plans

YoDadio

On July 23, 2011 the wife and I will be boarding our first Princess cruise (Golden to Alaska, from Seattle). It is my understanding that typically the formal nights coincide with the "at sea" days and therefore tend to have the "higher-end" menus. Furthermore, the Chef's Table is not usually held on formal nights. I would hate to miss out on the big three (lobster, crab, and escargot) in the Main Dining Room due to my poor planing.

Off the cuff I am thinking I should plan on the MDR for formal nights and Sabotini's on the first night (avoiding the rush later in the week and giving us plenty of time to try it again... :D) and then the Crown Grill on the last night (I've seen some CC posts that's when the MDR has its least exciting menu AND the most tired staff), though this would likely require the first available seating if we plan to go into Victoria anywhere near 7 pm.

Does anyone have specific recommendations as to when a) the Chef's Table is held (I know its a crap shoot, but you never know...), b) "best" nights to visit the specialty restaurants, c) any special table to get?

I have the same question so might as well keep it in this thread. I have heard the Caribbean night in the MDR isn't very exciting....doing a 7 day on the Ruby April 23rd...anyone know which night is Caribbean night? I think we'll plan for the UBD that night. We want to do Sabitini's too, so interested on opinions as to the best night for this too. Sorry to 'hijack' your post YaDadio, but since you've got people thinking about food..... :)

And if you're thinking about Sabitinis or the Crown Grill, you can talk to the head waiter about which theme nights (in terms of the menus) are which, and they'll often help you pick out a night for the specialty restaurants. I'm guessing they don't usually get booked up the first afternoon anyway.

In general, we tend to always eat in Sabatini's on the first night. The "Sailaway" menu in the MDR's is a bit odd. Also, turnaround days are really tough on the staff, it's a really long hectic day for them. Sabatini's usually isn't crowded the first night so the waiters are not as stressed as those in the MDR.

Archived