Ok First Timer - Have Questions

needabreakcanada

Our first cruise is a way off. Don't laugh - 2013 - that is when our 30th wedding anniversary is. My friend and her hubby cruise every year and we are trying to plan for 2013 a southern caribbean 7 day out of san juan. We are saving our aeroplan pts for flights.

So I have no clue what what I should be asking, but have found out some information, feel free to correct me if I a wrong.

We should fly into port the day before the cruise but can fly out the same day the cruise ends.

As we are looking at Royal Caribbean - some restaurants are extra charge as is alcohol and pop. We have been advised to bring a water container with us.

I have read that people take cases of water and juice on board with their luggage - is this true and how would you go about doing that? Do they charge extra for the extra weight?

What are room signs? I have read about them on cruise critic and how to print them off - but nobody explains what they are.

Are there cruise critic gatherings on the ship?

What items are not in the room that you should bring to make life easier?

And what items are you risking them confiscating?

(I have read extension cords, power bars, coat hangers???)

Will I be judged if I take a wheelchair access room (bringing my own wheelchair) and if I have a good week and don't need the chair much?

(I have fibromyalgia so it is hit/miss)

How much more would you pay for a balcony over a inside room?

I am aware of the tipping procedures.

Is it worth the extra money to do a beach excursion through the cruise line? Thats about all I would be able to do I think - I would hate to pay alot for anything else and have a fibro flare up. I definately need a beach with washrooms nearby. Is the chance of that increased by doing a beach excursion?

Is there anything else I should know? Feel free to send links.

Thanks

I dont know about cases of water and juice and bringing them on Royal Caribbean. RCL doesnt allow you to bring them, but if you are reasonable, most people are allowed. I think cases would be more apt to be told no. I have put a few in my suitcase, but never a whole case.

I paid to upgrade from a Inside to a Balcony $500, $250 pp and it seemed reasonable to me.

As long as you need a HC cabin and have a wheelchair no one is going to be judging you. People who are not HC even book them if they can get away with it.

I bring a lighted alarm clock. There will not be a clock in your cabin, though I think I saw one on the read out of the phone.

Yes, if your cruise is at least 5 days, RCL and CC have a roll call party which is a lot of fun.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Our first cruise is a way off. Don't laugh - 2013 - that is when our 30th wedding anniversary is. My friend and her hubby cruise every year and we are trying to plan for 2013 a southern caribbean 7 day out of san juan. We are saving our aeroplan pts for flights.

Happy Anniversary in advance. Planning & saving are good things.

We should fly into port the day before the cruise but can fly out the same day the cruise ends.
Yes, especially to San Juan. Too much can go wrong & San Juan is a fun place to explore before departing. Do not book a return flight any earlier than noon.

As we are looking at Royal Caribbean - some restaurants are extra charge as is alcohol and pop.
Yes. That is a all true. We just got off the Carribbean Princess which was about 1/2 the price of the AOS. I love a bargain but we also didn't need ice rinks, flow riders, water slides etc.

We have been advised to bring a water container with us.

The desalinated water on the ships is fine to drink. The cups from the buffet tend to be small forcing you to get up & down a lot if you want water while laying in the sun. Thus an insulated mug is great. bringing one bottle per person allows you to refill it & take it on excursions w/o paying for water on the islands

I have read that people take cases of water and juice on board with their luggage - is this true and how would you go about doing that? Do they charge extra for the extra weight?
The cruise line doesn't care that much about weight. However lugging this stuff can be a p.i.t.a. The water aboard is fine to drink. You can buy it once you arrive in San Juan & slap a luggage tag on it or you can carry it yourself. For your 1st cruise, there is no need to go crazy with this. There are plenty of things to drink on board without lugging your own.

What are room signs? I have read about them on cruise critic and how to print them off - but nobody explains what they are.

They are things you can put on your door to help find your cabin. They aren't anything special & they don't get you anything.

Are there cruise critic gatherings on the ship?
Yes. Join your Roll Call thread & they will be announced on line.

What items are not in the room that you should bring to make life easier?
The lists vary. Some people bring over the door shoe bags for storage. We never had more stuff than there was space. I don't like the shampoos & soaps so we bring our own (be careful of airline weight limits). You should bring a bag to carry on excursions.

And what items are you risking them confiscating?

(I have read extension cords, power bars, coat hangers???)

Booze, candles & irons are all big no nos.

Will I be judged if I take a wheelchair access room (bringing my own wheelchair) and if I have a good week and don't need the chair much?(I have fibromyalgia so it is hit/miss)
No. Hopefully your cruise week will be a hit with good health & no flare ups. Many of the ports are not wheelchair friendly & the various accomdation laws from North America do not apply.

How much more would you pay for a balcony over a inside room?

It's a personal preference. I need some natural light & think obstructed view OV guarentee cabins are the best bargains b/c you get some natural light & the possibility of an upgrade. We're looking at 2 different cruises for our next trip. On one the difference between OV & balcony is $200 pp or $400 total . . . maybe we'll upgrade depending on the cash flow situation. The other cruise where the OV cabin is the same price is a $400 pp or $800 total for a balcony. We barely paid $800 for our last cruise; there's no way we'd get a balcony on that ship. If he difference is around $100; we'll always take the balcony thought. Other people feel the exact opposite & no amount of money could cause them to take an IV. Then again I just heard about a woman who sails approximately every 6 weeks & always gets an IV. It all depends on you.

Is it worth the extra money to do a beach excursion through the cruise line? Thats about all I would be able to do I think - I would hate to pay alot for anything else and have a fibro flare up. I definately need a beach with washrooms nearby. Is the chance of that increased by doing a beach excursion?
The amenities available vary by beach & island. You have to do your research. Check out the port of call boards for each island & cross check with both trip advisor & the equivalent of the tourism boards for each island. Most times you pay the ship in advance & unless you can cancel 48 hours before, you are still charged even if you don't go. Many private operators charge you cash when you get there. If you don't go, you don't pay. Some do charge a small non refundable deposit.

How exciting to be planning your first cruise!

I always fly to the port a day or 2 before the cruise in case of airline delays or lost luggage. Many of us do this. As far as bringing water or juice, yes, it will take up room in your luggage and the extra weigh will put you over the limit and there is a hefty charge for overweight luggage. I personally never take drinks and I don't see any need to. There's nothing wrong with the water or juice on the ship. I never understood why people insist on taking their own drinks. The cabins do not have clocks so bring a small travel clock and also a nightlight (although we just leave the bathroom light on all night). There is usually a dispenser in the shower with soap but I always bring my own shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap. You didn't say where you are going but in many ports of call it is easy to get to the beach yourself in a cab without doing a ship excursion. Now, as far a the type of cabin......I personally cannot stay in an inside cabin. To me it is like sitting inside a closet. If your budget permits, get a balcony cabin....you won't be sorry.

2013 will be here before you know it. It is good you are planning so early.

Looks like you have a lot of good answers already.

I alway take a case of water and case of soda on board. We get to our destination a day in advance and we go shopping for these items. We cart them with the hotel luggage cart back to our room. The morning of the cruise we cart these items along with our luggage and take our transportation to the pier. The baggage handlers are really good at helping unload and taking the check in luggage from you. They place it in big rolling crates. So it isn't a matter of lugging water (unless you are on Carnival). We like having drinks in our room for a convenience and we have a rolling ice chest so they are on ICE at all times. The little fridges in the room do not get as cold as we like.

You will get lots of answers on this subject it is really just a matter of preference and we prefer to bring our own.. Do what is best for you!

It looks like you got your questions answered, but I just wanted to state that if all you want to do is visit beaches, more than likely, you will be better off doing it on your own and not doing official excursions. Just

research ahead of time to figure out what beaches you want to go to, because when you get off the ship, taxis will be lined up to meet the ship and willing to take tourists pretty much anywhere. Most of the popular beaches will have restrooms, showers, a place to grab lunch...etc...right there, but you just have to do a little reading ahead of time to know which ones will have them.

If you go about it this way, you won't be out any $$ if your fibro flares up and you can't make it. Besides, visiting the beach on your own is normally cheaper and faster than doing it thru the cruiseline. You can just hop in a cab and go as you please and if you are having a good day(s) and are up to it, you could even have your driver take you on an island tour or something, before getting dropped off at the beach. Going about it this way will give you more flexiblity and options than booking beach excursions thru the cruise line.

Have fun planning!

"I have read that people take cases of water and juice on board with their luggage - is this true and how would you go about doing that? Do they charge extra for the extra weight?"

The airlines charge for extra weight, so just bring empty water bottle(s) and refill on the ship for free. Some people use water in the cabin, some go up to the buffet to get water there. Juice is free for breakfast, and so is a drink at lunch (different ships offer different drinks). Coffee, tea, water free all day.

"What are room signs? I have read about them on cruise critic and how to print them off - but nobody explains what they are." - it's just people put something on their doors if they want their door to look different. I bring a magnet after my husband tried to open the wrong door :eek:

"What items are not in the room that you should bring to make life easier?" We always bring alarm clock with lighted face to see what time it is in the dark and not to wake up each other. Some people bring small toilet lights for the same purpose.

"Will I be judged if I take a wheelchair access room (bringing my own wheelchair) and if I have a good week and don't need the chair much?" - I don't think you will be judged, only you will need a doctor's note or other paperwork - there is a "disabled travel" forum on this website for more information.

You will need your cabin key card at all time, so think of something small like a tiny bag to hang on your neck or waist. Or good pockets :D

Check out port reviews for more information on beaches and facilities so you can save by not buying "tours" that will only drop you off and pick you up later.

If you take a cab to the beach arrange for pickup with the same driver. Prior to getting in, discuss fare and payment which is to be done after you return to the pier. Your best bet is to check/post on your roll call to determine if there's someone with the same intentions. The cost can be divided and you'll have beach peeps. Be very aware of the number of ships in port at the same time and rush hour traffic on certain islands i.e. St. Thomas, St. Maarten. Such will dictate the amount of time spent on the beach.

Have a super 1st cruise and a festive 30th!!

...We have been advised to bring a water container with us.

On my March 27 Voyager of the Seas, no one was allowed to bring any drinks. My unopened gallon of water was confiscated and returned the last day. On my other four Voyager OTS cruises I have always been able to take a gallon of drinking water. But RCCL rules do state that no drinks of any kind can be taken, so they were within their rights. I find the drinking water OK on the ship. You can take a water filter if you want -- and we might do this next time.

If you haven't done so already check out the Disabled Cruising board. They have wonderful suggestions about what to do on the different islands if you do need your wheelchair.

To the OP..

WOW over a year to plan and watch the excitement grow.. I do remember those days.. (2 cruises ago we booked at 445 days out)

You have come to the right place.. Cruise Critic.. Cruise (pun intended) around all the different threads, roll calls, first time cruisers, ships EVERYTHING.. It costs nothing to read and learn other than time..

I will back up the fly in a day early.. Just leads to less stress and you actually get to start your vacation earlier.. (I will suggest you visit Senior Frogs in San Juan, it is right across the street from the pier)

Anyway, read the different threads, and like everything else, discount the really good as well as the really bad posts and take the average as gospel..

Do your research and have a blast... You will be hooked...

Oh yeah, on the balcony front.. We will always cruise in a balcony or better.. Almost nothing;) beats a nice cup of coffee in the morning or a night cap in the evening on the Balcony..

Your choice as to all this, it is after all your vacation.. Have fun now..

Regarding flying in early, if you have time visit Old San Juan. It is a lot of walking and very narrow sidewalks and cobblestones so not wheelchair friendly but if it's a good day for you, they have a hop on/off trolley (free) plus taxis are done by zone, usually amount from OSJ to hotel is approx $15.

Pier - confirm which pier you are at. There is one in Old San Juan where you can walk off/on the ship right into Town. If boarding here, then you can check in early and get rid of your luggage and just walk into town. If at Pan American Pier, you must taxi to this one. Some people still drop off and get into a taxi to the city but we just board a little later and do the city first if we want to.

Besides a water bottle each, that we fill up on the ship and take on our excursions. We also bring an insulated travel coffee mug. Just nice for getting drinks in a more normal size. Can use to for coffee or Iced Tea (free drinks at cafeteria) and have with you on the pool deck.

Balcony - I'm spoiled and biased and will only travel with a Balcony now. Just something to consider, if you are having a "bad" day having a balcony will at least let you get outside in privacy.

Things I like to bring - is a pop up clothes hamper, cheap and usually in the grocery store for like $6. I always bring a multiple outlet with USB ports also, so far no one has confiscated.

Have fun planning and congrats on your many years of marriage.

Archived