St. John Half Day Champagne Catamaran Sail - RCI excursion

christineann

How is this trip for a child. We have an 8 year old DD who loves cats and snorkeling, but it sounds like this may be a more adult excursion from the description.

We've done this twice and neither time was it a party atmosphere. I think it would be just fine for your daughter. If at all concerned, I would suggest the morning tour. Seems like a crowd that wants to really "party" would not be as interested in the morning tour. Plus, the alcohol does not come out until after everyone is back on board after the snorkeling/swimming when you're headed back to the ship. :)

We just returned from Allure and booked this excursion through RCCL. We had a wonderful time. The crew was great, very personable and hard-working. The snorkeling was good, but not as good as the snorkeling in the same place 10 years ago. You can tell that the reefs are under stress if you've been before. But it was lovely anyway. Our friends did not snorkel and took the dingy to the beach, and enjoyed being in the beautiful setting on Honeymoon Beach (which is part of Caneel Bay and is not to be confused with Honeymoon Beach on Water Island).

The drinks were flowing on the return trip, but this is a catamaran, so it's not one of those pirate party boats where people are dancing and doing squirts of booze from a tube. It was a very relaxing day.

We just returned from Allure and booked this excursion through RCCL. We had a wonderful time. The crew was great, very personable and hard-working. The snorkeling was good, but not as good as the snorkeling in the same place 10 years ago. You can tell that the reefs are under stress if you've been before. But it was lovely anyway. Our friends did not snorkel and took the dingy to the beach, and enjoyed being in the beautiful setting on Honeymoon Beach (which is part of Caneel Bay and is not to be confused with Honeymoon Beach on Water Island).

The drinks were flowing on the return trip, but this is a catamaran, so it's not one of those pirate party boats where people are dancing and doing squirts of booze from a tube. It was a very relaxing day.

Thanks for that review! And thanks to whoever posted the pictures. I'm getting more excited about doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Where does this excursion leave from??? The description says something about transporting to a marina???

We usually ferry from Red Hook and hike to Honeymoon beach, last trip getting a taxi was such a hassle..thought this might be a nice alternative...

We were moored next to this cat when at Honeymoon on the New Horizon sloop. You can just make out White Bay, Josts in the distance from these mooring balls.

These daysails are typically out of Red Hook and Sapphire marinas which are a 1/2 hr taxi from the cruise dock barring heavy traffic later in the day.

Recently returned (January 2013) from the same except it was a Princess shore excursion called "St.John Champagne Catamaran Sail" ... otherwise, everything was as decribed above -- even the same Adventurer catamaran. (Often different cruise lines do use the same tour operator.)

It was a wonderful 4 1/2 hours (9 AM - 1:30 PM)... Loved that the catamaran was not at all crowded and we could move around freely and find a variety of places to sit in either the shade or the sun.

We were picked up at the ship and taken to a very small marina on the eastern side of St.Thomas where we boarded Adventurer. Lovely sail and scenery to Honeymoon Beach.

At Honeymoon Beach we could snorkel, go to the beach (by dinghy or swim), or just stay on the catamaran. A fair number of people take just it for the catamaran sail.

The captain & crew were great! We had been on a longer version of this on Heavenly Days about 6 or so times over the years. As we were passing by Heavenly Days, our captain knew this so pulled very close so I could wave my HD hat at them. All on both had a fun time waving and speaking to each other.

Champagne, beer, rum punch, etc. were served along with cheese and fruit. We had beer (the devil we know :D ). Actually, most had either rum punch or beer.

It was quite fun without being a wild & crazy party boat.

There was nothing about this excursion not to like! We would certainly do it again. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Recently returned (January 2013) from the same except it was a Princess shore excursion called "St.John Champagne Catamaran Sail" ... otherwise, everything was as decribed above -- even the same Adventurer catamaran. (Often different cruise lines do use the same tour operator.)

It was a wonderful 4 1/2 hours (9 AM - 1:30 PM)... Loved that the catamaran was not at all crowded and we could move around freely and find a variety of places to sit in either the shade or the sun.

We were picked up at the ship and taken to a very small marina on the eastern side of St.Thomas where we boarded Adventurer. Lovely sail and scenery to Honeymoon Beach.

At Honeymoon Beach we could snorkel, go to the beach (by dinghy or swim), or just stay on the catamaran. A fair number of people take just it for the catamaran sail.

The captain & crew were great! We had been on a longer version of this on Heavenly Days about 6 or so times over the years. As we were passing by Heavenly Days, our captain knew this so pulled very close so I could wave my HD hat at them. All on both had a fun time waving and speaking to each other.

Champagne, beer, rum punch, etc. were served along with cheese and fruit. We had beer (the devil we know :D ). Actually, most had either rum punch or beer.

It was quite fun without being a wild & crazy party boat.

There was nothing about this excursion not to like! We would certainly do it again. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Exactly why we're headed back for the third time in May!!! :)

Edited by ciera123

• 10 months later...

We just did this excursion on the Celebrity Summit. The crew are fun, professional, and while they are working for tips, they dont overdo it - at the end, you want to tip them for such excellent service. Captain Eddie, Darren and Mickey were friendly, knowledgeable and just really fun people to hang out with. They made sure you were comfortable and had a great time snorkeling Honeymoon Beach on St John. The cat is a comfortable ride, plenty of room to spread out and the drinks (rum punch and champagne) and refreshments (cheese, yummy bread, and fruit) were very good and never-ending. The snorkel spot had a nice little reef with plenty of fish and coral to explore and there are a few grassy areas where you might spot a turtle. We even saw some tarpon under the boat which were very cool.

Would like to take this excursion, sounds like good fun. We will be on the Allure and it says this excurision ends at 430pm and our ship leaves at 7pm. Any chance they will drop you off in town to shop for an hour or so?

Hi there,

The cat just runs from St Thomas to Honeymoon beach off St John back to St Thomas. They dont make any stops in town. Not sure if that is helpful but this might not be the best tour for you if you want to explore town. If you have your own snorkel gear, you could see if there is another excursion that takes you into town and take a taxi to Honeymoon (or one of the many great snorkeling spots on St John - there are so many). Either way, you wont go wrong spending your day on St John! Have fun!

We did this excursion last March and are ready to go again on our 2014 March cruise. It was just beautiful-crew was great. Right mix of snacks and drinks. For those who didn't want to snorkle, they took you to the beach. We sailed back to St. Thomas and that was one of the most beautiful trips we have ever had on an excursion.

We did this excursion last March and are ready to go again on our 2014 March cruise. It was just beautiful-crew was great. Right mix of snacks and drinks. For those who didn't want to snorkle, they took you to the beach. We sailed back to St. Thomas and that was one of the most beautiful trips we have ever had on an excursion.

You sold me! I signed the family up!

We have booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise & am very happy to read such positive reviews. Since I don't swim, I plan to go to the beach rather than snorkel. Are there any facilities at Honeymoon Beach, such as bathrooms, chair rentals, snacks, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

We did this with Carnival last year and I remember it being quite the party on the way back.. it was a lot of fun,,the crew gets everyone happy,, really happy with all those drinks and then they look for tips when you get off,, and some people were giving out a lot of money,, I had to stop my husband from giving too much he was so Happy.. but we are looking to doing it again..

Does the catamaran have shade while on the boat? I am traveling with my 88 year old mom and 15 year old daughter and trying to find something that would suit all of us. My daughter really wants to swim with turtles, and I thought Mom might be okay staying on the boat while we snorkel? My brother will be there as well so she isn't by herself, but would she bored? Thanks.