Which Native Tour would you recommend?

Mary in Maine

My husband is a sculptor and we have visited many Mayan sites and are very interested in the Mayan civilization. My DH is 80 years old and in good health but not quite as nimble as he used to be. I am deciding between the Chacchobean Tour, the one with lunch at the lagoon , and the one with lunch with Mayan family. Based on your experience, which would you recommend?

I can't compare all three that you mentioned, however, we just got back and we were on the Chocchobean (sp?) and it was wonderful! There was a lot of walking; most of the walking was on even grounds (not too rocky or uneven). There was one part of the tour where we had to climb several steep steps to see another ruin; there were benches for those who did not want to climb could sit and wait for the others to return (if you go up, you have to come down!). I hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Mary,

We just took the tour you are mentioning (Chacchoben Ruins followed by a visit to Laguna Azul). It was such a perfect day, that I cannot even wish for a better visit. But let me answer your questions. The Native Choice's office is located in town and they have an agreement with the taxi drivers right outside of the port to take people to their office for free. The drive is just a few minutes long (we were sent a map and detailed instructions upon booking). So, as soon as you pass the shopping area in the port and get out through a bright red building, you will find yourself in a square with a few taxis and a little kiosk with a taxi coordinator. You approach him and tell about your tour and they provide transportation.

Once in the office, we met our guide David (who appeared to be a very knowledgeable, personable and truly passionate about Maya culture, traditions and history), and soon boarded a nice minivan which took us to the Chacchoben park. The ancient ruins (from approx 4 B.C.- 4 A.D. are located in a park like surrounding. Our pace was never rigorous but I agree with another poster, that there was a fair amount of walking. Still, we made longish stops at each site (maybe 5 all in all) which would give you time to catch up easily.

After spending perhaps 1 hr to 1.5 hrs in Chacchoben, we boarded the van and proceeded to Laguna Azul. It was rather close, just 15 min drive or so. On that part of the tour we were taken care by a different guide, his name was Israel, a charming and funny fellow. Somehow I was expecting (based on what I previously read on the website) that we would find a rustic place in a tropical forest setting. Which would have been just fine with me, but boy, was I surprised when we actually found ourselves in the most idyllic place, consisting of a number of lovely thatched roof cottages, surrounded by the beautiful flower gardens and overlooking turquoise waters of the lake. Truly, it was like a little slice of paradise on Earth! We had a lunch of chicken fajitas and our choice of drinks (included in the price of the tour), and then relaxed on the lake shore. I intended to kayak there but the waves were a bit too strong for my liking so I reconsidered eventually. I did not feel disappointed however – it was quite enough to just be there and enjoy the tranquility and the beauty of the place.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this tour and this company. Oh, and they even returned a deposit for my husband’s ticket as he could not make the tour due to feeling ill and having to remain on board of the ship that day.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can always write to them, they were very good and quick about responses to any of my questions at the planning stage of our Costa Maya day...

Best wishes,

Gala

(last cruise Celebrity Equnox/West Caribbean and Central America Mar 21-Apr 1 2011)

Mary,

We just took the tour you are mentioning (Chacchoben Ruins followed by a visit to Laguna Azul). It was such a perfect day, that I cannot even wish for a better visit. But let me answer your questions. The Native Choice's office is located in town and they have an agreement with the taxi drivers right outside of the port to take people to their office for free. The drive is just a few minutes long (we were sent a map and detailed instructions upon booking). So, as soon as you pass the shopping area in the port and get out through a bright red building, you will find yourself in a square with a few taxis and a little kiosk with a taxi coordinator. You approach him and tell about your tour and they provide transportation.

Once in the office, we met our guide David (who appeared to be a very knowledgeable, personable and truly passionate about Maya culture, traditions and history), and soon boarded a nice minivan which took us to the Chacchoben park. The ancient ruins (from approx 4 B.C.- 4 A.D. are located in a park like surrounding. Our pace was never rigorous but I agree with another poster, that there was a fair amount of walking. Still, we made longish stops at each site (maybe 5 all in all) which would give you time to catch up easily.

After spending perhaps 1 hr to 1.5 hrs in Chacchoben, we boarded the van and proceeded to Laguna Azul. It was rather close, just 15 min drive or so. On that part of the tour we were taken care by a different guide, his name was Israel, a charming and funny fellow. Somehow I was expecting (based on what I previously read on the website) that we would find a rustic place in a tropical forest setting. Which would have been just fine with me, but boy, was I surprised when we actually found ourselves in the most idyllic place, consisting of a number of lovely thatched roof cottages, surrounded by the beautiful flower gardens and overlooking turquoise waters of the lake. Truly, it was like a little slice of paradise on Earth! We had a lunch of chicken fajitas and our choice of drinks (included in the price of the tour), and then relaxed on the lake shore. I intended to kayak there but the waves were a bit too strong for my liking so I reconsidered eventually. I did not feel disappointed however – it was quite enough to just be there and enjoy the tranquility and the beauty of the place.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this tour and this company. Oh, and they even returned a deposit for my husband’s ticket as he could not make the tour due to feeling ill and having to remain on board of the ship that day.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can always write to them, they were very good and quick about responses to any of my questions at the planning stage of our Costa Maya day...

Best wishes,

Gala

(last cruise Celebrity Equnox/West Caribbean and Central America Mar 21-Apr 1 2011)

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like a wonderful day!

I have attached a few pictures so that you can see some of the setting of the Chocchoben Ruins. They have a lot of benches to sit and rest as you work your way through the park. As the previous poster said, they take the tour at a very reasonable pace. It was definitely worth seeing.

We booked through Native Choice not through the ship. They were wonderful to work with and very responsive to all of my questions.

2042958767_Cruise2011162.jpg.2d80d355f132edd0c0c12011e9a96469.jpg

358926559_Cruise2011176.jpg.2b7dcecec2c9fe3b0b32b7672e20edc6.jpg

396957653_Cruise2011192.jpg.7f7c21071c868c3648562c7569659515.jpg

• 11 months later...

My husband and myself are cruising on Jewel of the Seas on April 9, 2012. We have booked an excursion to Sabor Resort, an adult only, all inclusive beach day. Hopefully we will enjoy this and was wondering if anyone has been and can tell us what to expect.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Costa Maya last week on the Solstice.

We did the Native Choice Mayan Ruin and Experience tour.

After we went to Chochchoben we drove to a village and had lunch in a Mayan home made by the family. They showed us how to make tortilla and then we made one. The lunch was spectacular and the experience priceless.

The walk is about 5-6 blocks from the ship but there is a trolly that takes you to the end of the pier if you want to use it. Still it was a walk to their check in and departure point.

Seeing the ruins was wonderful but also a bit of a walk around. Our driver brought us cold water about mid-way through the tour. Very nice and very needed.

Archived