That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

"...dining on land tour portion..." hmmm. What size plate and what kind of cutlery would that entail?

But seriously, Barb, whatever tour company is providing the details of the land tour should be able to help you. I admire you for looking ahead so you don't break the bank before you get on the ship!

Newt, have mercy for Barbara. Only 7 posts, a newcomer, and you already scares the s**t out of her. Remember the days of summer '02 when we were newbies?

btw: did you take the AmCrak to NY?

NBP [7<sup>2</sup>=49]

Boten, you're always good for a laugh - newtocc

Boten, I want to speak with Mrs. Boten. NOW - brigittetom

Hello! What type of dining are you intending while on the land portion of your trip? I am in Fairbanks and can tell you that prices differ, as they do anywhere else in the US, depending on what type of restaurant you decide on. We have everything from Taco Bell on up the scale. Do you prefer diner type restaurants or fine dining? What you spend on food is entirely up to you!

Taters icon_biggrin.gif

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back!

Carnival Conquest, 9/2003

Island Princess, 12/2004

Hey Taters

What I am looking for specifcally is on the cruise tour aboard the train for one and then when we are in fairbanks, denali, etc. we have booked cruise tour #11 on 7/17/05...Thanks for your input...

Barb

Taters,

We will be in Fairbansk this 4th of July. Will anything special be going on? We also would likke recommendations of places to eat. We like mid to upscale places just about anything. Seafood being the top pick followed by Italian and then a good steak any info would be greatly apprecaited. Pam icon_cool.gif

Good morning DH and I are used to dinning out and Ft Laud is not cheap especially down beach way. We are looking for good seafood restauant specializing in King Crab can't seem to find any in Anchorage. Any in Fairbanks? Is June not King Crab season? Ann

As far as king crab goes, you can get it at any nicer restaurant here in town. My preferance would be the Pump House on Chena Pump Road. If you like prime rib and prawns, the the Turtle Club in Fox (8 miles north of Fairbanks) is a good choice. For all around good dining, either the Pump House or the Vallatta (on Goldstream Road) are good choices. There is a greek restaurant with a great (and varied) menu downtown called Bobby's. It's relatively new for Fairbanks, but we've been there several times and we love it! They have the best calimari I've ever eaten in my life, and that's saying a lot! For Italian food, try Geraldo's on College Road. Love that garlic! There is also another Geraldo's on Airport Road, but I prefer the College Road location (for atmosphere) much better. It hasn't changed since the 70s.

For the 4 of July, there is a big celebration at Pioneer Park (formerly Alaskaland) on Airport Road. This is THE celebration in Fairbanks and I just may go there myself this year! Admission is free.

Hmmm... Have I answered all the questions? Please feel free to ask more if you've got 'em!

Taters icon_biggrin.gif

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Island Princess, 12/2004

as you know the food and drinks are not complementry... the food prepared on the land tour itself will be comprable to prices here in the states, ranging anywhere from a $5 breakfast to a $25 steak dinner. There will be a menu put out every day and if you want you can call the cruise line and they should hav a sample menu and prices to offer.

For nightlife, I guess the most interesting places to go are the Blue Loon (near Ester) and the Howling Dog (in Fox, 8 miles north of Fairbanks). You'll need a rental car to get to both of these locations. There are PLENTY of bars right in town, and in just about any of them you'll have a fun and interesting time. There is a bar called the Silver Spur in South Fairbanks with a pretty good live country band, but beyond that, the only other venues with live music are the two I've mentioned previously. They lean more towards blues/rock. As far as a "Cheers" type of friendly neighborhood bar goes, our favorite is the Big I (short for Big International) which is located one block from downtown, on the north side of the Cushman Street bridge. This is right next door to the restaurant I mentioned in an earlier post, Bobby's.

Have fun everyone!

Taters

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Island Princess, 12/2004

I just noticed that you're from Davie! Wow! I grew up in MIA and used to go to horse shows in Davie in the 70's. You have a "Shorty's" there! I grew up in Kendall, so we had our own "Shorty's"! (Yum!) We go there for lunch whenever we head to Miami to get on a cruise ship. Small world...

Take care!

Taters icon_biggrin.gif

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Island Princess, 12/2004

Taters Shorty's is still cooking. Live out west from the rodeo,but it is still a rocking place.Davie has grown to over 70,000 people but still keeps that country feel with lots of mini ranches and acre homesites.We have a farm across the street that has a camel and a big bull living together. Ann

Archived