Goffs Caye - Is it worth it?

Cruzinbabe06

Belize is the only port where we're not sure what to do.

We love beaches and I'm thinking about Goffs Caye. Its $40 per person. Includes rum punch. I will bring my own snorkeling equipment. Hubby doesn't snorkel. Hubby is more socialble and likes to sit at a bar and drink beer and talk and laugh with everyone. I, on the other hand, like to lay in a lounge chair and read or listen to my ipod.

What is the atmospere of Goff Caye. Is there music playing? Or is it a quiet area. I read someone is grilling. And you can buy other alcoholic drinks.

My question is. For those of you who have taken this excursion, is the $80.00 for the two of us worth it?

Belize is the only port where we're not sure what to do.

We love beaches and I'm thinking about Goffs Caye. Its $40 per person. Includes rum punch. I will bring my own snorkeling equipment. Hubby doesn't snorkel. Hubby is more socialble and likes to sit at a bar and drink beer and talk and laugh with everyone. I, on the other hand, like to lay in a lounge chair and read or listen to my ipod.

What is the atmospere of Goff Caye. Is there music playing? Or is it a quiet area. I read someone is grilling. And you can buy other alcoholic drinks.

My question is. For those of you who have taken this excursion, is the $80.00 for the two of us worth it?

Last time I did this excursion, there were no lounges, no music, no grilling, and no bar on this lil tiny spit of sand. It's a nice experience, pretty setting, and a good beginner's snorkel tour. You go straight from your ship to the Cay. The guides will divide you up into newbie snorkelers and snorkelers with previous experience and then each group will set out on a different course around the isle. I'd say the isle is about 150' long and maybe 50' wide. There's live coral and some small fish to see as you circumnavigate your course, mostly in 6 to 8' of water. I didn't feel ripped off, since it was well organized and set on a photographic isle, but I do prefer snorkel sites like shark ray alley and hol chan.

Thank you for your reply.

Since my husband doesn't snorkel, I'm thinking $80.00 is too much for this excursion and maybe we should just stay on the ship and use this money for drinks.

But, I hate to stay on the ship in Belize. I've seen some ruins before and there's others to see. It's a beautiful island. I would prefer to relax on a beach.

I have the trip booked. I think we'll keep it for now and I'll keep researching.

Thanks again

Goffs Caye is worth every penny! I went a few weeks ago via Island marketing since NCL did not offer it. Good snorkeling, great beach and nice lunch, Girlfriend had spiny lobster and I had barbacue chicken. Plaese do not stay on the ship and miss out on Goffs Caye.

It is a beautiful little island; but maybe you could just go by yourself? Leave hubby back at a bar onboard and you can snorkel. :) We were just there in March and I wouldn't have a problem going alone. There are two groups of snorkelers; they drop of the newbies at the island to go from shore and then the more advanced stay on the boat. We got dropped off further out on the reef and snorkeled back in - the boat just followed us. I think the excursion only lasted about 3 hours so not too long. And it is nice that you get picked up and dropped off at the ship.

On the other hand, since it is a shorter excursion you can both go and then when you get back to the ship, just hop on a tender into the port and grab a drink at one of the bars and make hubby happy. :) That's what we did; had about an hour and a half or so to just wander the shops and get a drink.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Can you tell me if the beach is sandy or rocky?

Are there loungers? Thanks

Terri

Yes I am curious too. And are their restaurants/bars on the island as well and where do you get the BBQ?

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from here on may 7th cruise.

We booked thru carnival. There are no facilities here no food no drinks. Island is very small and only one side is usable to snorkel. The walk out to reef is long but there are are quite of bit of fish there. The tour guides are excellent. Beach is not swimmable imo. Knee high wading would be okay . Sand here on one side looked really good the rest okay. One thing people need to be very aware of is Jelly fish here. My daughter drifted off from tour guide and got stung by a large jellyfish. Tour guide knocked down about 3-4 jellyfish and said he doesnt normally see that many. Overall about 5 of 30 people got stung. 2 people including my daughter had to be brought back to ship early because the fluid the tour guides put over stings didnt help. My daugher recovered about 8 hours later but was in server pain. Me personally thought it was a good tour but going into ocean there is risks and it sucked it happened to our family. I will say this about snorkeling Honduras has the best snorkeling I thinkjust go to west bay beach crystal clear water and you will see more fish there about 200 face to face in schools very colorful.

I also would like to add Carnival refunded our excursion (220$) and we didnt even have to ask them to do it. They also paid for medical visit on ship. Thank you carnival

We were there that day last week and fortunately avoided the jellyfish. Hope your daughter has recovered now Mojo_Eraser. She was obviously in intense pain. One of the victims looked as if a tentacle had wrapped around her midsection.

There was only a woman renting loungers and a guy selling trinkets that entire morning. No food or drink was available. There is a restroom if needed.

It's a nice excursion and the snorkeling is good once you get about 50 yards or so off shore. Snorkel off the boat if given that option.

Make sure you are taken to Goff's Caye and not a similar Island named "Rendevous caye" the latter does not have facilities.

Goff's Caye do have rest rooms and local people grilling chicken and lobster tails and have cold drinks available other people have lounge chairs for rent.

So just beware!!:o

The small green building on the right in the back is the rest room. the two covered building open, up close, a man was selling carved wood items, and the other tent had a man selling booze or soda, and a young man selling lobster kabobs or chicken kabobs. This is a beautiful place, but not a "bar scene".

A boat picked us up directly at the ship, we had the choice once at the island to snorkel from shore, or be taken out to the reef, and snorkel back. It was very choppy that day and 95 % of us snorkeled from shore. After the "snork' DH and i split a lobster kabob, and an orange soda, and played in the water until it was time to leave. I will always remember this spot as heaven on earth.

If you are thinking lounge chairs and beach, you may be thinking of Bannister Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived