Chair savers!!!

What you are doing is not wrong. If you are gone for a long extended time(subjective) usually 1hour+ for me then your stuff should be moved.

I would agree that the items should be removed but by the staff, not by anyone else. Also sounds like folks here are being spiteful, did you really want those chairs or did you just want to mess with a "chair hog"

In all of my years of cruising, I have never seen anyone not have a chair on deck, OK maybe you did not get the prime spot next to the pool, but there are always plenty of chairs for the guests. If you want a prime spot, get up and get one

I would agree that the items should be removed but by the staff, not by anyone else. Also sounds like folks here are being spiteful, did you really want those chairs or did you just want to mess with a "chair hog"

In all of my years of cruising, I have never seen anyone not have a chair on deck, OK maybe you did not get the prime spot next to the pool, but there are always plenty of chairs for the guests. If you want a prime spot, get up and get one

It's kind of like getting a parking spot close to the store. I've seen people wait an extra minute or two rather than park 2 spaces further away. It's the perceived notion that you're getting prime real estate and keeping someone else from getting it.

I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise, but on that cruise, the staff did walk around with clear plastic bags. They placed unattended items in a clear bag and left the bag at the towel desk. It was very nice. People were angry when they came back, but I doubt they did the same thing the next day!

I know from reading the boards that was unusual and does not happen on all of their cruises.

If the Carnival employees are asked will they remove items?

It's kind of like getting a parking spot close to the store. I've seen people wait an extra minute or two rather than park 2 spaces further away. It's the perceived notion that you're getting prime real estate and keeping someone else from getting it.

Funny - I guess I am not in the majority, I pick a chair up a few stairs and I chose to walk and leave the front space for someone who may need it (elderly etc)

I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise, but on that cruise, the staff did walk around with clear plastic bags. They placed unattended items in a clear bag and left the bag at the towel desk. It was very nice. People were angry when they came back, but I doubt they did the same thing the next day!

I know from reading the boards that was unusual and does not happen on all of their cruises.

If the Carnival employees are asked will they remove items?

Yes Carnival will remove the items if asked

I am sure you are right. NOt too many people will admit to the early morning activity and feel it is right to leave their items behind for hours. I don't have small kids or am elderly so sitting right by the pool is not a necessity. I am just curious what makes people do it (besides the obvious)

I am sure you are right. NOt too many people will admit to the early morning activity and feel it is right to leave their items behind for hours. I don't have small kids or am elderly so sitting right by the pool is not a necessity. I am just curious what makes people do it (besides the obvious)

If you figure out what "makes people do it" you could be up for an award :D

I get up at 6:00 am - I like that time of morning. I save a chair for myself and my DH...........I don't get up just because I want a chair, I am an early riser - the ship is nice and quiet. Mind you my DH is up and in his chair before other chairs are taken, so why would it bother you that we want to sit next to each other? FYI - we are also out there the entire day, we leave the seats to go and grab lunch - should you touch my stuff then, or should we not be allowed to go and get lunch together

Why would it bother any of you that I get up so early, go for a cup of coffee and read my book?

Why is it that some people think that two wrongs make a right, touching (oh sorry, relocating) someone Else's items is wrong.........regardless

IMHO...If you leave for lunch and will be gone for longer than 30 minutes then you should be considerate (especially if the all seats are taken and people are looking for a place to sit), take your items with you, and let someone else have it. That's 30 + minutes that someone else could be enjoying that chair instead of it sitting there unused because you decided you needed two seats for a while...one in the buffet and one unused on the LIDO (both areas where seating is at a premium during sea days). You can only sit in one seat at a time...be nice and share.

When we were on the Elation, DD and I did the rounds of all the decks more than once on a sea day and we couldn't find a single chair that was unoccupied with people or "things". It would have been nice to be able to make use of a couple of those chairs being occupied by "things" but we all know how selfish some people are and DD and I are too polite to touch other people's "things".

IMHO...If you leave for lunch and will be gone for longer than 30 minutes then you should be considerate (especially if the all seats are taken and people are looking for a place to sit), take your items with you, and let someone else have it. That's 30 + minutes that someone else could be enjoying that chair instead of it sitting there unused because you decided you needed two seats for a while...one in the buffet and one unused on the LIDO (both areas where seating is at a premium during sea days). You can only sit in one seat at a time...be nice and share.

When we were on the Elation, DD and I did the rounds of all the decks more than once on a sea day and we couldn't find a single chair that was unoccupied with people or "things". It would have been nice to be able to make use of a couple of those chairs being occupied by "things" but we all know how selfish some people are and DD and I are too polite to touch other people's "things".

First let me say that we get our lunch in the Lido and bring it back to our chairs...........so no, I am not using one chair and saving another. It can take 30+ minutes at times to get your lunch from the Mongolian Grill or even the fish 'n chips - I guess I should tell everyone else in line that I need to go first because my chair is empty in the sun.......I think I am very nice and I do share

If I am there at about 6:00 and stay there until 3:30, I think leaving the chair for 30 minutes is reasonable. What would you do if I chose to be in the pool for 45 minutes, my seat is empty but I am in the pool; really :confused:

If I am on a lounge chair at 6AM it is because I have not gone to sleep yet :)

Funny :D

When you work in health-care, and your hours are all over the place, 6:00 in the morning is sometimes a gift! Not to mention, I love watching the ship come alive in the morning........

I think that if you get up to go anywere then take your belongings with you (unless you are in the pool). I would never leave any of my belongings out of my sight and that includes the ships pool towel.

why do people need to be near the pool? pool is small , crowded

noisy , I prefer to be higher up for the sun , wind, and hear the music

But I do have a pool at home to use everyday:)

I agree! That's why we book the Panarama Deck when available. If I want the pool I'll walk down to it...but like you said, it's crowded!

I want to hear from those people who do get up at 6 am to put your towel on a chair by the pool and save it. Why do you do this?? I have to know...

Some people may not know. I know all of us here are tuned into certain rules, details of cruising, best way to embark, dism, etc......but some may honestly not know this is not the thing to do. I am only sticking up for those who don't know.....not the ones who do.

some may also feel that they paid for the cruise like everyone else and are ENTITLED. They may think that they are entitled to a chair and its the cruises fault....blah blah blah

First let me say that we get our lunch in the Lido and bring it back to our chairs...........so no, I am not using one chair and saving another. It can take 30+ minutes at times to get your lunch from the Mongolian Grill or even the fish 'n chips - I guess I should tell everyone else in line that I need to go first because my chair is empty in the sun.......I think I am very nice and I do share

If I am there at about 6:00 and stay there until 3:30, I think leaving the chair for 30 minutes is reasonable. What would you do if I chose to be in the pool for 45 minutes, my seat is empty but I am in the pool; really :confused:

I apologize if I read your post wrong...it sounded like you and your DH got up to have lunch together (which I assumed meant you went to the LIDO to get your food and eat together). Personally I have never had it take me 30 minutes to get my food but I never really go at prime time either. I have no problem with getting up to get food and bringing it back. I do have a problem with people who get food and sit down in the buffet to eat it (basically taking up 2 chairs by using one at the buffet and saving the other). As for being in the pool that is different and you are not really trying to be 2 places at once...IMHO the chairs by the pool should be for those who are utilizing the pool. I really think they should put some cubies in for the people who do not really need a chair but need a place to put their stuff while they are in the pool. There are many times when I would have utilized this.

I never understood the facination of "needing" a chair right at the edge of the pool. Of course, our DS is 12 this cruise and from the second or third level I can see him just fine. (And I can hide from him if I wish...joking!)

PLUS, up a level or two you don't constantly deal with people walking in front of you, around your chair, bumping into it etc. BUT, I suppose if you have a younger child, then being at the edge to watch over them is a must....IMO :D no need to flame

I get up at 6:00 am - I like that time of morning. I save a chair for myself and my DH...........I don't get up just because I want a chair, I am an early riser - the ship is nice and quiet. Mind you my DH is up and in his chair before other chairs are taken, so why would it bother you that we want to sit next to each other? FYI - we are also out there the entire day, we leave the seats to go and grab lunch - should you touch my stuff then, or should we not be allowed to go and get lunch together

Why would it bother any of you that I get up so early, go for a cup of coffee and read my book?

Why is it that some people think that two wrongs make a right, touching (oh sorry, relocating) someone Else's items is wrong.........regardless

If you're saying that you get up and occupy a seat, holding one next to it for DH then there's nothing wrong with that.

OTOH if the scenario is that you are "marking" a couple of seats at 6, going off to have a bite or cup, back to the cabin to collect DH, etc. then returning to the seats then you are saving seats as Carnival asks you not to.

If that is the case and (as you said) there are plenty of other seats available when DH arrives, there will be those same seats available to you so there is no need to save a seat.

Note: These are just personal observations. In 30+ cruises we have never sat by the pool. Just not what we do. When we want to sit in the sun or shade there are normally plenty of spaces a deck up.

Charlie

chairs...

My girlfriend was able to secure 2 side by side next to this group. When my husband and I got out there I asked her who was sitting next to them. She said no one had been out there. The lady down the way was saving chairs. I looked around and didn't see anyone. I asked my girlfriend if anyone had been there within the past 1/2 hour and she said not a one so= I moved their towel and plopped my butt down. Some woman came running over saying she was saving those chairs for family- blah- blah- blah... I said you weren't allowed to do that... showed her that it is posted rules etc., so she got all pissy and plopped down in the chair next to me so we couldn't take the one next to the one I had already taken from her. About a half hour goes by and 2 grown adult men in her party come by and tell me to get out of their chairs... I tell them I am not. They weren't around. It had been quite sometime (at least an hour if not more) and they start getting very loud and rude with me. Tell me to get up... they don't roll like that etc., etc., etc., I tell them i am not getting up. Go get security! SO they do. Security comes and tells them basically that I am right. You can't hold chairs. They lie and say they were in the pool which they weren't. All hell breaks loose. One of the men tells me to "go find a diet plan"... hilarious! Good one genius! In the end I stay in my chair. The guy gets reprimanded by security for name calling and I am told if they bother me at all... to get security! The rest of the day... do you think their 6 chairs were ever full w/bodies? NOPE.

I apologize if I read your post wrong...it sounded like you and your DH got up to have lunch together (which I assumed meant you went to the LIDO to get your food and eat together). Personally I have never had it take me 30 minutes to get my food but I never really go at prime time either. I have no problem with getting up to get food and bringing it back. I do have a problem with people who get food and sit down in the buffet to eat it (basically taking up 2 chairs by using one at the buffet and saving the other). As for being in the pool that is different and you are not really trying to be 2 places at once...IMHO the chairs by the pool should be for those who are utilizing the pool. I really think they should put some cubies in for the people who do not really need a chair but need a place to put their stuff while they are in the pool. There are many times when I would have utilized this.

Thanks -

It could be the stops along the way at the bar ;) that takes us 30 minutes!

On our cruise just last week I asked the attendant to move some items that had been in two lounge chairs for over 2 hours on the Sernity Deck on the Elation. The employee happiliy moved the items and my DH and I enjoyed prime chairs on the deck.

When the owners returned the employee was very nice and told them their items had been collected because he thought they had forgotten them when they left several hours ago. He did NOT give us away. They were pissed, I was happy.

It is just rude to save chairs for hours on end and not use them.

So you give up your chairs that you have been in for hours, to go and have lunch for 45 minutes; we get our lunch from the Lido and come back with it. That is crazy (JMO)

Yes, we do give up our chairs if we choose to have lunch at the same time. It takes us at least 45 minutes or longer to eat lunch so we just find a different place to sit even if it isn't right in front of the pool.

we leave the seats to go and grab lunch - should you touch my stuff then, or should we not be allowed to go and get lunch together

If you're gone for more than 40 minutes, your stuff will be taken to lost & found.

Archived