Your experience with booking at the last minute?

lillypad83

Hi, guys!

With all the hubs and I had going on this year, we decided to put off our spring trip for a cruise in the fall or winter. Last week, we realized that we both had the vacation time, and a free week in May. We also have an Airtran flight credit that needs to be used by October. I think all that good karma from smiling and nodding instead of telling people what I really think is paying off. :D

We're off from May 14th-22nd, and we're within driving distance of Tampa, New Orleans, and Port Canaveral. We're a two hour flight from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Our budget for transportation, hotel, and cruise fare is $1500, and we have $250 in flight credit from Airtran. I know that booking last minute means being flexible, so I really can't be picky. We're lucky to be able to go at all.

I'm seeing some of the best deals right now for late April/early May. I figured that booking two-three weeks out could drastically reduce fares, as people just aren't traveling because of the craptastic economy. Right now the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral is $929 pp, but they're currently offering the end of April cruise at $499 for an interior guarantee. I don't expect the cruise to come down $500 pp, but a girl can hope, right?

I'm dying from a severe lack of sunshine and boat drinks, and need encouragement. Have any of you had any luck snagging a great deal with 3-4 weeks of a departure?

My best suggestion is to go to each cruise line website that interests you and sign up for their email notifications. The problem is that by the middle of May, most of the ships have left the Caribbean for Europe or Alaska, so with less competition and kids getting out of school, good deals are thin. EM

Just my opinion and I'm a Carnival fan but..........

I just looked and you can book a fun select rate on an inside guarantee on the Dream out of Port Canaveral departing 5/14 for $1414.04. It's a 7 day cruise departing on Saturday going to Cozumel, Belize, Mohogany Bay and Costa Maya............

That's pretty darn cheap and you may get upgraded to a pretty good cabin..........but even a Riviera deck forward would be worth it to me.

Hi lillypad 83, We enjoy the antipation of booking way in advance and doing all the planning, but given your information, (and being a RCCL fan) I would book the Freedom out of Port Canaveral for $499. Drive to the port, use the remaining $500 to book a couple of tours or pay gratuities/bar bill.

Then use your air credit for a weekend getaway this summer.

There is no wrong answer just enjoy. Lou

Here are some pack n go rates that might meet your budget. Prices end friday or before.

Carnival Elation MOB 7 5/7/2011 Western Caribbean $449 $479 N/A

Carnival Glory MIA 7 4/24/2011 Exotic Eastern Caribbean $449 N/A N/A

Carnival Glory MIA 7 5/1/2011 Exotic Western Caribbean N/A N/A $629

Carnival Glory MIA 7 5/8/2011 Exotic Eastern Caribbean $549 N/A N/A

Carnival Glory MIA 7 5/15/2011 Exotic Western Caribbean $499 N/A $699

Carnival Triumph MSY 7 4/30/2011 Eastern Caribbean $429 $459 $599

Carnival Valor MIA 7 4/24/2011 Exotic Western Caribbean $429 N/A $679

You guys are rock stars! Thanks for all the input. I'm waiting to book until 04/22ish, because I'm anticipating the rates will go down just a tiny bit more. Of course, I could be wrong, in which case, I will be sorry. It's like gambling a little. :)

I think I've narrowed it down to the Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Valor, or Carnival Legend. While the Carnival Dream sounds fantastic, the reviews have been kind of sketchy. What I'm hearing most is that the crowds are terrible. I'm okay with an older ship, but the Dream concerns me. I feel like, for a newer ship, the reviews should be amazing.

@Firefly333- Thanks for the research. That's super helpful. :)

The latest we've ever booked was 5 weeks out, and it wasn't a good experience. Because there are 3 of us, that severely limited the cabins we could book and we had the furthest forward cabin, inside, low deck. Not again! We heard the anchors and ropes at 4:30am almost every morning - that's what time I get up at home/not vacation! I hope your experience it much much better than ours was.

We've booked at the last minute a few times. I feel I could have gotten a better deal if we booked at least 6-8 weeks out. However, I also have to book airfare. If you can drive to the various ports, it makes it less complicated.

We travelled on the Dream in January. There truely were no chairs available anywhere outside on the first sea day. Even chairs on the lower decks in the shade. We will do smaller ships in the future.

Hi, guys!

With all the hubs and I had going on this year, we decided to put off our spring trip for a cruise in the fall or winter. Last week, we realized that we both had the vacation time, and a free week in May. We also have an Airtran flight credit that needs to be used by October. I think all that good karma from smiling and nodding instead of telling people what I really think is paying off. :D

We're off from May 14th-22nd, and we're within driving distance of Tampa, New Orleans, and Port Canaveral. We're a two hour flight from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Our budget for transportation, hotel, and cruise fare is $1500, and we have $250 in flight credit from Airtran. I know that booking last minute means being flexible, so I really can't be picky. We're lucky to be able to go at all.

I'm seeing some of the best deals right now for late April/early May. I figured that booking two-three weeks out could drastically reduce fares, as people just aren't traveling because of the craptastic economy. Right now the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral is $929 pp, but they're currently offering the end of April cruise at $499 for an interior guarantee. I don't expect the cruise to come down $500 pp, but a girl can hope, right?

I'm dying from a severe lack of sunshine and boat drinks, and need encouragement. Have any of you had any luck snagging a great deal with 3-4 weeks of a departure?

You are signed up to get the Cruise Critic emails, right? They have some good deals.

Iv booked the day of a cruise ... that wasnt such a good idea, it was a cruise to nowhere for $129, and the hurricane was still in the Houston area, and the dregs of the storm almost caused me to miss the ship, plus late friday traffic.

I booked 3 and 4 days before a cruise, and both of them went pretty smoothly, Carnival went better than last minute on RCL (who didnt have me on the manifest the porters had or the cabin steward)

Different side of the U.S., but I booked a 7 day Mex. Riv cruise out of L.A on March 31st......got a Balcony GTY for $579pp for a sailing at the end of April. Today (4/15) that same cruise with the same cabin availability is $799pp for a Balcony GTY! I am very happy I didn't wait!

We have found ships often lower prices the wek before the cruise to fill the ship. Often this is on Mondays, then Tuesdays. BUT, they start low at the crack of dawn (my husband woke me at 6:30 one morn, a Tuesday, to ask if he should book at $299 - I said yes had he did.) We are both retired and sort of self employed so we can do VERY last minute cruises - a day or so before sailing. Now we are watching prices, which haven't moved, for May 4th.

At some point, they open up special rates for non-full cruises to travel agents, cruise line employees, etc. Some lines will price match within 48 hours of final payment (RCCL for sure) so you might keep that i mind. Coinciding last minute cruising with last minute airfare is the tricky part, IMO.

Sometimes, not at all. We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks. Friends wanted to come and in March they were waitlisted as the sailing was already sold out. They are still on the wait list and accoring to our TA, it's "doubtful" they will be joining us.

I just love the great information that I get from this website. I am planning on booking a last minute cruise this summer. I have the summer off so I am in a position to book up to a week out. I am hoping to get really good 7 day cruise deals. Since I live in Florida and am within 1 to 2 and 1/2s from any of the ports, I do not have to worry about air fare. I am looking for any advice that some may have to offer. Also, with last minute bookings, are the cabins that come with it not in great locations?

I have a suggestion about Air Tran. When you print your boarding pass slightly less that 24 hrs before your flight, you can upgrade to business class for $29 to $129, depending on the length of your trip and availability.

Since you have to pay for your bags in coach, it may be inexpensive to upgrade because bags are free in business class.

Archived