Shore Excersions, Koblenz, Speyer,Strasbourg

J&DfromTheVillages

Can you recommend a tour company to the Marksburg Castle in Koblenz, Heidelberg Castle from Speyer, or hot air balloon ride in Strasbourg? Going on our first river cruise and these are shown as optional tours offered by Uniworld. Want to compare pricing with reliable tour operators.

Thanks, Judy and Dan from St. Louis

Can you recommend a tour company to the Marksburg Castle in Koblenz, Heidelberg Castle from Speyer, or hot air balloon ride in Strasbourg? Going on our first river cruise and these are shown as optional tours offered by Uniworld. Want to compare pricing with reliable tour operators.

Thanks, Judy and Dan from St. Louis

We did the Marksburg and Heidelberg Castle tours during Christmas week, offered by Uniworld. It was snowing and quite beautiful. The castles were amazing and the tours were very good. We thought it was very good value for the price charged. Have a great time!

Thanks so much. You must have taken the same river cruise we are about to do - the Legendary Rhine & Moselle.

Castle Marksburg tickets are only 6Euro pp, but Uniworld's optional tour is 43Euro pp, so 37Euro are going to transportation and Uniworld. On the map, Castle Marksburg doesn't appear to be very far from Koblenz, so I was looking to see if there was alternate transportation available from some other source to compare.

We've done lots of ocean cruising and are accustomed to arranging our own tours, but this one has me stumped since I couldn't find any guides on line. I'll keep checking.

As far as Koblenz is concerned, although you won't learn as much, you really don't need a guide for the Marksburg Castle. We were so awed by the view from up there, I think we split from the group and just walked around. Getting up to the castle will be challenging, but can be done on your own. We will be visiting Koblenz in 2 weeks with Uniworld, and even though there is no cost for our excursion, I will find out for you how much a cab would cost and even if public transportation is feasible.

... there is a great little Christmas shop open all year round. We found the prices quite good - and it was the only place that we found straw garlands. It is in the old part of town - backing onto the canal - by one of the locks.

There is also a Villeroy and Boch store not too far from the main square (just in case you want to do a bit of shopping while you are there...) :D

The German Technology Museum in Speyer is just a short walk from the river cruise piers. For anyone who likes planes, trains and automobiles this is well worth a stop. I was amazed at the size and depth of the collection and how well everthing is displayed.

J&D,

We're going on a similar itinerary. Uniworld, Antoinette, May 1-8, Basel to Amsterdam. I'm interested to see what you find out. Also our first river cruise.

We're going on the Antoinette 4/24 - 5/1, Amsterdam to Basel, the cruise before yours. I'll try to post our experience. We plan to take our little netbook computer, so I'm hoping we can get decent internet service. Have you found a roll call thread for the River Antoinette? I tried to start one a while back, but it looks like I didn't get any response?

Thanks

karen

Archived