Crown-Anyone know of upcoming refurb???

MizzouMary

Hello,

We're thinking about a November Crown Princess cruise, but noticed the ship has never had a refurb since 2006.

Does anyone know if there are any upcoming refurb plans for this ship?

What's the condition of the ship, especially the beds?

Any info. you can provide would be really helpful!

Thanks!!

Hello,

We're thinking about a November Crown Princess cruise, but noticed the ship has never had a refurb since 2006.

Does anyone know if there are any upcoming refurb plans for this ship?

What's the condition of the ship, especially the beds?

Any info. you can provide would be really helpful!

Thanks!!

We have been on the Crown 4 times in the last couple of years, and just got off last Saturday. I'm not aware of any wet/dry dock plans for her, but overall she is in wonderful shape. I think generally Princess does a remarkable job of keep their ships in good shape. We often request a egg crate for our bed, but didn't on this trip and had no problems sleeping, our bed was fine.

They are constantly painting and doing maintenance work, we have seen it on all of our cruises. The only complaint I heard was someone I was talking to on the sun deck complaining about the mini golf course being in bad shape, and I didn't see that myself.

Is there normal wear and tear for a 5 year old ship, yes, but overall I found nothing to complain about.

Mike

Just left the Crown this past Saturday.

I thought the ship was in excellent condition. We sailed on the Emerald last summer, which is one year newer than the Crown, and could tell very little difference in the two. The only place I saw any wear of any kind was the carpet on the stairs... BUT ... you really had to look hard to notice it.

We did think the beds were slightly more comfortable on the Emerald. When you get to you room, if you think the beds are too hard, you can ask your steward to put egg crate foam on top of the mattress. Be sure to ask as soon as you can after boarding because they go very quickly.

In my opinion, you won't be disappointed with the condition of the ship, it is very well maintained.

At the chef's table, the executive chef said the kitchen on the Crown passes government health inspections with an average score of around 98.5 out of 100, and most recent score of 100. That should give you an idea of the effort put forth by the crew.

The Crown will be in Wet Dock from Oct 27 to November 11th. Usually the first cruise after any wet or dry dock has some glitches...

Thanks. They must have changed it to 10/26-11/4 since they have a 12-day repo cruise leaving on 10/14 and seven day cruises beginning on 11/5 departing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks again!

I wanted to ask those of you who have been to both, Curacao and Bonaire: We have a choice between the two. No one in the group likes to dive. My husband and I like to snorkel, but also like to hang out on the beach and local bars. We mainly want to sightsee and shop. Which would you recommend, and why?

I think you probably like Curcao better as the shopping is great (variety, not necessarily the price). They have a marina there that has some beach facilities, restaurants and shopping too. Bonaire is a very charming but sleepy island - great diving and snorkeling. Shopping - not so much so.

I've been to neither. But I wanted to let you know that the 11/24 cruise was to go to Curacao but has been changed to Bonaire. So don't consider anything is set in stone.

Thanks! That's kind of why I was asking. We really wanted to go to Curacao, but were already booked on the 11/24 sailingm going to Bonaire. We thought if enough people thought it was worth going to instead of Curacao, we would just stay with our current booking.

I found out about the itinerary change when I logged onto the Princess website to confirm our sailing. The on-line agency we purchased our cruise through had not updated their website with the itinerary change yet. Princess said they sent out a memo to all agencies on 4/11, notifying them of the change. I guess they were just a little slow in getting it done. I was told it was due to Curacao having too many ships already scheduled there for that week.

So, we cancelled the 24th departure and re-booked on the 12/3. Now, we just hope they don't change that itinerary on the 12/3 sailing. I guess the lesson learned is, always check the cruise line's website itinerary and compare it with the on-line agencies prior to booking. Of course, there's no guarantees with any itinerary. We've been really lucky only missing one port, Norwegian's private island, one out of 12 cruises. After all, I guess we're just along for the ride!

I logged on tonight specifically looking to see if anyone knew what the Crown was going to have done in her wet dock. I have been watching the videos of the Grand and wonder if she will get the new pizza place too?

Thanks. They must have changed it to 10/26-11/4 since they have a 12-day repo cruise leaving on 10/14 and seven day cruises beginning on 11/5 departing out of Ft. Lauderdale.
You are right about the change of the Drydock to 10/26 to 11/4.

I heard new carpet, mattresses, paint, etc. for Crown. Skywalker may be different. Who knows what they will surprise us with! :D
With the short duration don't expect any significant changes.

Archived