Must be one HUGE outlet!

squidward

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Caronia was docked at Pier 54 on Manhattan's West Side in the early 1970s.Anyway the Bayonne Cruise Port can easily be seen from the Staten Island Ferry when the Staten Island Ferry is sailing between Lower Manhattan and Staten Island.Also from the Staten Island Ferry you can see the Brooklyn Cruise Port.I am just saying that for the Cunard Line and Princess Cruise Line,Bayonne is a good alternative to Brooklyn. Regards,Jerry

Hi , yes , Pier 54 was one of the Cunard piers. Caronia was laid up in 1969,in Brooklyn due to a collision.

Turquoise, do you know Brooklyn well? Where do you find that information? Thanks -S.[/quote

Come to Brooklyn,then:eek:

Turquoise, thanks for the invite :) I was born in Brooklyn, as was my father and his father. My great-grandfather owned a shipping business in Red Hook which was 'lost' in the Great Depression.

It has been many years since I lived in Brooklyn Heights, and that is why I asked where you find current information about Red Hook. -Regards, Salacia

Turquoise, thanks for the invite :) I was born in Brooklyn, as was my father and his father. My great-grandfather owned a shipping business in Red Hook which was 'lost' in the Great Depression.

It has been many years since I lived in Brooklyn Heights, and that is why I asked where you find current information about Red Hook. -Regards, Salacia

Great! We have alot in common. I was also born in Brooklyn,Cobble hill

between RedHook and Brooklyn Hts. A few blocks from the harbor.

I Live in other places, but never left Brooklyn.. I was in Red Hook today..

It has a very nautical feel. I am interested to know more about your familys

past shipping business. Well all of Brooklyn is being changed,as well as Red Hook..The new community in Red Hook are making demands cleaning up and gentrifying the area..The pollution from the QM2 is part of it

Roger

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Caronia was docked at Pier 54 on Manhattan's West Side in the early 1970s.Anyway the Bayonne Cruise Port can easily be seen from the Staten Island Ferry when the Staten Island Ferry is sailing between Lower Manhattan and Staten Island.Also from the Staten Island Ferry you can see the Brooklyn Cruise Port.I am just saying that for the Cunard Line and Princess Cruise Line,Bayonne is a good alternative to Brooklyn. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry, yes it is a good alternative. I think I mentioned that the QE2 had a refit in Bayonne.

R

Hi Jerry, yes it is a good alternative. I think I mentioned that the QE2 had a refit in Bayonne.

R

It was in 1977 I think when the QE2 was drydocked in the Bayonne Drydock and some aluminum blocks were added to the top of her superstructure to add more luxury suites.I am now wondering if the QM2 could fit in the Bayonne Drydock. Regards,Jerry

Looks like it.

1New York

Manhattan Pier/New York Embark 2At Sea 3Halifax Full Day 4Boston Full Day And Evening 5At Sea 6New York

Manhattan Pier/New York Disembark

Transatlantic fan, thanks for that info. Regards, -S.

...I am now wondering if the QM2 could fit in the Bayonne Drydock.

According to the Bayonne yard's dimensions she would be both too long and too heavy for their facility.

As for the "hotel power" in Red Hook, I think the deal was only recently signed off. It won't happen until the power is actually installed and QM2 is retrofitted for it.

Archived