Pre-Cruise Lodging - Galveston

Celebrating40

Hi all

First, thanks for all the great info I always receive. I have only been on two cruises so I am still learning.

I would like to know if anyone has a suggestions as to where to stay in Galveston? We are flying in the night before Feb. 2012 to sail the Magic. I am not so interested in sightseeing in Houston, so I don't mind going straight to the port area. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Uh Oh, did not realize Mardi Gras will be at that time. I am looking for a hotel the night of the 18th, sailing on 2/19. I don't want to stay two nights, so hope I can get something.

I am looking for simple lodging, close to the port that, perhaps, provides a shuttle to the ship. I would fly in the same day as the cruise, however, coming from NYC in February, that is not a smart move. Thanks again for your replies.

Everything is near the port on the island (2 miles wide, 32 miles long). I have only found Inn at the Waterpark with reasonably priced rooms. Check out galveston.com, but it is the BIG Mardi Gras weekend and low cost rooms will be impossible to find. Whatever you find, book now as rooms will not be available later on.

Don't know what your transportation arrangements might be. However, if you are coming during Mardi Gras, staying off the island in the area between Houston and Galveston might be an option. Check on Webster, Clear Lake, League City and Texas City. All of them are southeast of Houston and out of the major traffic and are only a short drive (15-20 minutes) from the cruise port.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Clear Lake/Webster - one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at and I'm almost 60yrs old. Hotel is about 1 year old and immaculate! Has a bar, free breakfast and is near NASA and Kemah Boardwalk. It's located right off I-45. If I recall right, I was able to get this hotel for $75 plus taxes - a GREAT deal. Cruise terminal is about 25 miles away but easy to get to.

We typically drive in from Dallas 2 nights before a cruise. We've stayed at several places, always on the shore side (opposite the harbor). As previously said, everything in Galveston is close to the port. Taxi is 15 minutes max, and will run $10 bucks or so.

Try the Country Inn and Suites. We got a good rate there the last time, and it's a new hotel. But there are plenty of others as well

Does any one know when they will open booking's for February 2012? We are looking for rooms for February 11th. I know the Galveston website has not. We would also love to stay at Harbor House and have been checking frequently to see when they will list prices?

Highly recommend the Harbour House. It is about two blocks from the terminal (same side of street), easy walk. Two blocks and you are at the Strand.

Since the Harbor House doesn't have a pool, do you know if guests are allowed to use the pool at a nearby hotel? I think they said they don't have beach area either. Am I correct?

Harbor House is on the bay side at the port, beach is on the other side of the island, but not far - 20 or so blocks.

To my knowledge, Harbor House does not have pool privileges at other hotels. It is not part of a chain. The Tremont has a shuttle that goes to the Galvez and guests can use the Galvesz pool.

Call the Habror House for February, 2012 reservations, but remember it is Mardi Gras month so rates will be higher and there will a minimum # of nights required.

Since The Galvez, Harbor House, and Tremont House are all sister properties, you might just call and ask if they will allow you to use the pool at The Galvez. I'm pretty sure that people on the threads have said they were able to take the Tremont House shuttle to The Galvez for pool privileges. Worth a call!

Archived