???? Princess Suites

DesrtDrmr

I usually have to book an accessible cabin on a cruise. I need to get my scooter inside, have to have a roll in/walk in shower as I cannot climb over a tub side. I cannot stand for a long time, so need "reachable" hanging rods, and the bars in the bathroom are necessary.

All that being said, we once tried a non accessible mini suite, and the bathroom was not very convenient for me. I could get scooter in cabin, but had to sit on tub to bathe, etc.

Was wondering if a full suite would be do-able since it has a separate shower? I called Princess to ask and was told that a shower seat could be brought to cabin and used.

Does anyone have experience with this? I know some of the brand new ships have accessible cabins above the balcony level, but the older ones do not. We'd love to book a full suite just ONCE in our cruising lives.........and a special cruise might be the time to do it. Then we will go happily back to our "regular" cabin type.

Thanks in advance.

This is several years ago, maybe 2005 or so. We did a cabin crawl on the Caribbean Princess. I used a rollator only then and went to a Vista Suite. The door was the same size as a standard cabin and I had to collapse the rollator to enter. The suite was lovely and there was both a shower and tub in the bathroom. When I was still just using the rollator I used a standard room and got a shower chair. It was OK but the lack of grab bars was a bit of a problem. I can't remember if the there was a step into the Vista Suite bath nor did I pay attention to the presence or absence of grab bars.

The bathroon's not the biggest problem, if you don't need grab bars. It is the size of the entrance doorway. You'll not be able to get the scooter inside, and Princess doesn't allow them to be left in the hallways. On a recent trip a friend was told her scooter could be left on a hallway behind the elevators, but the next day she found it had been "disturbed." I wouldn't do it.

Princess' Accessible Balcony Cabins are really large and have all the attributes you want.

Fern

Thank you ladies.

I have a little GoGo Scooter, and the last time we had a Princess non accessible mini suite, I didn't have any trouble at all getting through the door. If it IS a problem, we'll (well, DH will) take scooter apart and I'll use my cane to get through the door. I'm not worried about the doorway, mainly the bath. I can't stand for more than a few minutes, nor walk more than a few steps without support, but I could get through a doorway, and will also have collapsible manual w/c with me. Our "usual" preferred cabin is an accessible cabin with a balcony, and they are usually just perfect............we were just wanting more room for a longer cruise, with a place to sit other than the bed. That little chair isn't the greatest for reading. The mini would be great, but the bathtub is the biggest problem for me, although many really enjoy them. If the bath had just the steadying handle that many non accessible cabins do, that would be fine.

Thank you ladies.

I have a little GoGo Scooter, and the last time we had a Princess non accessible mini suite, I didn't have any trouble at all getting through the door. If it IS a problem, we'll (well, DH will) take scooter apart and I'll use my cane to get through the door. I'm not worried about the doorway, mainly the bath. I can't stand for more than a few minutes, nor walk more than a few steps without support, but I could get through a doorway, and will also have collapsible manual w/c with me. Our "usual" preferred cabin is an accessible cabin with a balcony, and they are usually just perfect............we were just wanting more room for a longer cruise, with a place to sit other than the bed. That little chair isn't the greatest for reading. The mini would be great, but the bathtub is the biggest problem for me, although many really enjoy them. If the bath had just the steadying handle that many non accessible cabins do, that would be fine.

The Golden, Grand, Sapphire and Diamond Princesses each have two mini-suites in category AE. They were designed as HC cabins, with beds that are not intended to be joined, and a HC bathroom. trouble is, they forgot to make the door wide enough. If you can get your scooter through the door, it would be perfect. Most people book them as a gty, since there are only two, expecting to be upgraded. I suspect if you explained to Princess, they might release one to you. EM

We did book one of those AE mini's last time, I forgot to say we didn't want to be upgraded and we were! :( We also dont really want to be that far aft as i'm lucky to get through with a patch AND meclizine. (Dont know why I love to cruise, but I do)

Thanks so much for your help.

Is there anyone with mobility issues out there that has booked a regular suite and can tell me of their experience?

Archived