Eclipse FV 7107

SuiteTraveler

Good cabin or not for Southampton round trip Med cruise?

I've heard there is noise when anchoring/pulling up anchor. My experience with cruises around Spain/France/Italy (on NCL) has been that we come into port during breakfast and leave around 6 -7pm - so we would not be in the cabin to hear the noise most likely. Is this true of the Eclipse?

My husband and I like to have more space for a 2 week cruise. Please advise.

Good cabin or not for Southampton round trip Med cruise?

I've heard there is noise when anchoring/pulling up anchor. My experience with cruises around Spain/France/Italy (on NCL) has been that we come into port during breakfast and leave around 6 -7pm - so we would not be in the cabin to hear the noise most likely. Is this true of the Eclipse?

My husband and I like to have more space for a 2 week cruise. Please advise.

I'm in this cabin in a couple of weeks and if I remember I'll report back my thoughts and download some pictures of it.

Phil

I'm in this cabin in a couple of weeks and if I remember I'll report back my thoughts and download some pictures of it.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I did find pictures of the same cabin on the Solstice. Here is the link, in case you would like to see it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/annypooh18/SolsticePreInauguralFV7107#5274322075490003602

From what I understand, the only change is a bigger table with 4 chairs on the Eclipse. I figure for the huge amount of space and considering how little we paid for this, we can put up with some noise a couple times a day. My experience in the ports we are visiting is that the ships don't drop anchor at the pier. So, I expect there will not be a problem.

Actually there are a lot of nice changes in the furniture on the FV's on the Eclipse from those photos. The cabin (8108) has a full dining room table and 4 chairs. Nicer chairs in the Living Room. A great storage credenza, A live plant even.

Here's some photos I took of my cabin a few months ago.

1.jpg.277cccdb6aadcd881e562a47d04b8408.jpg

5.jpg.395e8f04017d2e6a6f900f0f587152b3.jpg

7.jpg.e662debb43a423eed736e55758c69375.jpg

Thanks for the photos. We are in 8108 on Eclipse this summer - it looks great. We stayed in 8108 on Equinox not long after it started sailing. We loved the space but it was very lacking in furniture - this looks so much better. There was some noise but it hasn't put us off. A great cabin!

Fblack: Thanks for the photos - the cabin furnishings look much nicer! I still don't know why they would use the sofa from the verandah staterooms in that space, though! I would have thought they would do a sofa with arms on both ends. But, for what we paid, to have so much space for a 14 day cruise, I'm not complaining.

We had 8108 on Solstice. Love the space -- glad to see they're doing a bit more with the furnishings on the newer versions.

Prior to arrival in each port, we heard a series of mechanical sounds, what I figured were the lines being prepared for docking. It wasn't overly loud or long, and also was a good alarm clock in the mornings. This and the window washers at one point in the week were the only disturbance, and not major at that.

We had 8108 on Solstice. Love the space -- glad to see they're doing a bit more with the furnishings on the newer versions.

Prior to arrival in each port, we heard a series of mechanical sounds, what I figured were the lines being prepared for docking. It wasn't overly loud or long, and also was a good alarm clock in the mornings. This and the window washers at one point in the week were the only disturbance, and not major at that.

Thank you so much for explaining the noises - yes, that makes sense. Approximately how long prior to docking do these noises take place?

Thank you so much for explaining the noises - yes, that makes sense. Approximately how long prior to docking do these noises take place?

IIRC it was about half an hour or so, and lasted for maybe 5-10 minutes.

You will also know when they turn on the bow thrusters. But we usually slept through them.

The sofa in the living room has an arm on one side.

Sounds good. Hopefully will not be an issue - we are usually so exhausted after a day touring in the Med that we probably will not notice it either. I figure you can get noise just about anywhere on a cruise ship - crying baby next door, neighbors having a wicked big arguement, etc.

Thanks!

kruzgal: Was the noise on docking and departure only?

The noise was mostly on docking and departure. I am a light sleeper and felt it was also slightly noisier during the night but my husband didn't hear anything. Perhaps I need an extra cocktail before bed! We would typically have a mid ship cabin around deck 8/9 but this is a great cabin and the fact we have booked it again says it all really.

The noise was mostly on docking and departure. I am a light sleeper and felt it was also slightly noisier during the night but my husband didn't hear anything. Perhaps I need an extra cocktail before bed! We would typically have a mid ship cabin around deck 8/9 but this is a great cabin and the fact we have booked it again says it all really.

Great! Thank you so much! I don't mind noise on docking and departure. The only day we are docking really early is the day the ship gets back to Southampton and on that day we need to get up extra early to be among the first off the ship.

Here's a funny thing that happened to us in 8108 on the Eclipse. The doors do not have real door stops. So the Master bedroom door and secondary bedroom doors have little wooden wedges as door stops.

We usually slept with the master bedroom door open and held open with the wooden wedge doorstop. About 3:00AM one night the ship made a turn and the doorstop did not hold and our bedroom door went slamming shut. Scared the heck out of us. After that, we put a dining room chair in front of the open bedroom door each night.

Here's a funny thing that happened to us in 8108 on the Eclipse. The doors do not have real door stops. So the Master bedroom door and secondary bedroom doors have little wooden wedges as door stops.

We usually slept with the master bedroom door open and held open with the wooden wedge doorstop. About 3:00AM one night the ship made a turn and the doorstop did not hold and our bedroom door went slamming shut. Scared the heck out of us. After that, we put a dining room chair in front of the open bedroom door each night.

Good point! I will remember that.

Something similar happened to us one time on NCL Jade - the sliding glass door in the Courtyard Villa between the bedroom/bathroom and living area was not latched into place and suddenly slid shut! Thank goodness it didn't break!

• 1 month later...

Now back from our cruise, I can report that this is a GREAT cabin. At 500 sq. ft. it is very spacious, comes with a doorbell, but no butler or concierge. There is some noise about 20 minutes before docking and upon departure, but other than that, no noise at all - not even from the theater - which I had been concerned might be an issue. It is nice that the bathroom is away from the MB because my husband was able to close the door to the MB and use the shower and dress in the second bedroom (which we used as a walk in closet/dressing room since it is right across the hall from the bathroom) and did not wake me at all. He could also watch tv if he wanted and I could sleep.

The balcony is deeper than normal and a bit occluded, but not enough to make it an issue - plus we prefer shade. The two front windows were absolutely fantastic and it was great to be able to see out the front of the ship as well as the side! Yes, we could see the ocean and it was fun to look out the windows as we came into port, too!

So final opinion: Although there is a little noise at arrival and departure, it was NOT a big deal and I would definitely recommend this cabin. It is a long walk, but to have 500 sq ft. it was 100% worth the extra walking.

Archived