Using own laptop

cruiserkelly

I am planning on using the "Currently Onboard" forum once on the ship to be able to talk to family for free, but is it still free if we use it from our own laptop on the ship? Do you have to actually go to the Internet Cafe and use those computers for it to be free? Thanks!

Does anyone know how crowded the computers are usually in the Internet Cafe? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to lug my own computer around, but it sure would be nice to be able to use it from our room instead of having to always go somewhere else. I'm planning on using the computer a lot, even if it is really slow. :)

I am interested to know exactly how this works, I would only want to haul my laptop there if I could use it in my room. Has anyone used this before?

As long as the ship has wi-fi (and I think all of Carnival's do) you'll be able to use your laptop in the cabin (assuming your laptop has it too! :D).

I spend so much time on my 'connected devices' at home that I can hardly wait to get rid of them when I hit the ship - turn off everything on the cell phone and plop it in the safe, not to be seen again till we hit the US of A again. But I confess to using the ship's computers to send a few e-mails. Guess if I brought my own, I could compose those e-mails offline and save a buck or two, but I don't really want to bring it with me.

I am interested to know exactly how this works, I would only want to haul my laptop there if I could use it in my room. Has anyone used this before?

If you plan to use your laptop for regular web surfing/emails (not the onboard thing OP is talking about) then you have to purchase minutes through Carnival.

Per Carnival FAQs:

Pricing

Instructions on how to create an account and pricing details are present on-screen in the Internet Café or on your laptop once you connect to Carnival WiFi. Internet pricing is identical, whether you are using the Internet Café terminals, your own laptop or other wireless devices. All internet access charges will be billed directly to your onboard “Sail & Sign” Account.

Activation fee - a one-time $3.95 charge applies to each user on their first login only.

Time Plans – offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/ wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation and don’t have to be used in a single session. No refund will be awarded for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.

Longer Cruises (6 days and longer)

• 250 minutes for $100.00

• 100 minutes for $55.00

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

Shorter Cruises (5 days and shorter)

• 60 minutes for $24.00

• 30 minutes for $16.50

Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic (all itineraries)

• 480 minutes for $159 – complimentary laptop rental included

• 240 minutes for $89 – complimentary laptop rental included

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

can you explain "currently onboard" and what actually is free

Currently Onboard is the forum on the Carnival website. It is free to use the Carnival website onboard.

The Carnival "web site" is free on your laptop in your cabin.

The "currently on board" chat is found by going to the Carnival home page and then in the upper right hand corner it says "community & buzz". Click on that.

Then click on "forum"

Then "cruiser talk" and scroll down to "user groups"

Click on "currently on board" and set up your thread.

The previous poster is correct. I bring my laptop with me always...I also use it to download my pictures from my digital camera each day to a new folder. (day one, day two, etc.) then format the card and re use it.

Just make sure all who are reading your posts at home set up an account with Carnival.com (it's free also) so they can reply to your posts. Don't get too personal, as everyone who goes there can see what you write.

Melanie

The Carnival "web site" is free on your laptop in your cabin.

The "currently on board" chat is found by going to the Carnival home page and then in the upper right hand corner it says "community & buzz". Click on that.

Then click on "forum"

Then "cruiser talk" and scroll down to "user groups"

Click on "currently on board" and set up your thread.

This is very helpful. Thanks so much!

Think LaLa freeways. A pipeline shared by all on the ship. When everyone is trying to use - gridlock. Use it when others aren't and it isn't so sluggish.

You are supposed to be able to access all of carnival.com and sometime in the near future, John Heald's blog for free. You can read and post to anywhere on Funville. I am planning on verifying this on Carnival Magic. :)

Archived