Anyone on Insignia Now- Real Deal on Mechanical Issues Pls

kibutzer

a gentleman on the Land od Midnight Sun Cruise was asking questions on the FB page for Oceania Cruises...I answered his questions and within a very brief time this entire dialogue was erased from the FB page...guess going through social networks is not going to get any answers either.

a gentleman on the Land od Midnight Sun Cruise was asking questions on the FB page for Oceania Cruises...I answered his questions and within a very brief time this entire dialogue was erased from the FB page...guess going through social networks is not going to get any answers either.

I hate Facebook, and I don't think it all that social, either. It's all about MARKETING. Maybe they didn't think what you posted would further their marketing purposes?

So, what was the discussion that got deleted? Can you copy and paste it here?

The gentleman who was booked on Land of The Midnight Sun was asking on FB about the changed port schedule for his cruise...I responded with the details from the letter I received from my TA...This was followed up by his suggestion that perhaps the passengers would somehow be in peril in the waters he was going to be cruising in and I suggested that Oceania would not allow their passengers to be in danger...not good business etc.

This entire dialogue was on Friday, April 22nd and removed within 2 hours of the postings...yes, FB is social networking and yes it does have marketing tools for some businesses...they can remove anything they choose just as anyone else can who uses FB.

I do not believe that any mainstream press has picked up on this Oceania issue and it seems that no consistent message is being used when replying to passengers inquiries.

The only consistent message is lack of concrete information.

However, many cruises are just being slowed down and one crusie in particular is having their most wonderful scenic ports dropped...that is causing the angst for those passengers.

Just my take on things and YMMV...

jo

• 2 months later...

Just back from Lands of the Midnight Sun Cruise (fantastic!) - only 1 port, Stavanger, dropped. Also, we did not circumnavigate Svalbard, but that was due to the ice, not generators.

Every time I looked at the info on the TV, we seemed to be travelling at 17 knots (unless of course we were sailing into port etc) - can anyone tell me how fast this is? Is this half speed / top speed?

Just back from Lands of the Midnight Sun Cruise (fantastic!) - only 1 port, Stavanger, dropped. Also, we did not circumnavigate Svalbard, but that was due to the ice, not generators.

Every time I looked at the info on the TV, we seemed to be travelling at 17 knots (unless of course we were sailing into port etc) - can anyone tell me how fast this is? Is this half speed / top speed?

Much more than half speed and pretty close to top speed.

J

I think top speed is 22 Knots on the R ships

Cruising speed is noted to be 18knots on the website

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from the July 11 Scandinavian Splendors sailing on the Insignia. My GPS device reported cruising speeds generally at 13-14 knots. Once I observed 17 kt. In general, the ship kept to the revised schedule of port arrival times (times that were 30 min to 2 hrs later than what Oceania had originally published for this itinerary). The Insignia arrived at a couple of ports ahead of schedule, and then waited for the various destination services to arrive (local destination expert, shuttle bus, etc) before the all-clear for going ashore was issued.

On the last leg of the cruise (Helsinki to Stockholm), we enjoyed a leisurely dinner sitting next to a window in Polo. Several other cruise ships and ferries that were also en route to Stockholm passed us during the evening, some going quite a bit faster. However, I was quite happy with the ship's slower speed that evening as we got to watch the sun set as we savored our desserts and coffee.

Archived