Rental Car from Civitavecchia

CannotWait2Go

Hi. When I finish my cruise in "Rome," I want to rent a car and drive to Naples for a couple days. I saw that National has rental cars in Civitavecchia. Does anyone know if they're near the port?

Note: I used to live in Naples area. I know how to drive there :eek:

Hi. When I finish my cruise in "Rome," I want to rent a car and drive to Naples for a couple days. I saw that National has rental cars in Civitavecchia. Does anyone know if they're near the port?

Note: I used to live in Naples area. I know how to drive there :eek:

You might want to check out cartrawler.com. You have to pay up front, but their rates were much lower than others when we booked.

The most convenient rental car agency (near the port) is Hertz which is located right along the main street that goes along the water just outside the port gate (there is a free shuttle bus that will take you to the port gates). You just walk along the street towards the train station and its about 2 blocks. Europcar is considerably further from the port (it is walkable if you can get the shuttle bus driver to drop you at the hidden small side gate). Not sure about National.

Hank

Regarding Avis (we have used that location) it is located about 1/2 mile from the main port entrance (similar to Europcar) and is walkable if you are not dragging luggage. You might have noticed that I refererenced a "secret" side port gate (not the normal main gate/entrance). If trying to get to Avis or Europcar you might consider telling the shuttle bus driver when you get on at the pier. If you get a nice driver, he/she will first drop everyone at the usual bus stop by the main entrance and then take you over to this hidden side exit (you have to go up some steps to get out of the port). We have used this technicque 3 times and 2 out of 3 drivers took us over to that closer port exit. The third driver looked at us like we were nutz and made us get off at the usual main gate. Using that side exit will cut the walk in half. You will need to print-out a decent street map to find the place (even Google Earth can give you a good map/picture).

Hank

Regarding Avis (we have used that location) it is located about 1/2 mile from the main port entrance (similar to Europcar) and is walkable if you are not dragging luggage. You might have noticed that I refererenced a "secret" side port gate (not the normal main gate/entrance). If trying to get to Avis or Europcar you might consider telling the shuttle bus driver when you get on at the pier. If you get a nice driver, he/she will first drop everyone at the usual bus stop by the main entrance and then take you over to this hidden side exit (you have to go up some steps to get out of the port). We have used this technicque 3 times and 2 out of 3 drivers took us over to that closer port exit. The third driver looked at us like we were nutz and made us get off at the usual main gate. Using that side exit will cut the walk in half. You will need to print-out a decent street map to find the place (even Google Earth can give you a good map/picture).

Hank

Do you happen to know where the "Sixt" rental is? I've heard that they are good and I know that there is a location there - just not sure where.

Regarding some of the recent questions, we looked at the Sixt location (have never used them in Civitavecchia) and they show a location very close to the port entrance (even closer then Hertz). As to Sunday rentals, it is a real problem in Civitavecchia and much of Europe. Several years ago we were able to get Europcar to deliver a car to the port on a Sunday by paying an extra fee (not sure they will do this these days). Somebody posted (last year) that the Hertz office was open on Sunday mornings but we have never verified as to whether this was true. Their web site does say that you can rent "Sundays on request." We would probably e-mail their local office since they are a franchisee. That office is operated by Sifracar and you can contact them through the info on their web site at: http://www.sifracar.com/home.htm?lingua=2

Hank

• 1 year later...

Hank

Hlitner are you still there.

I am referencing your info re the back gate at Civitavecchia port. I looked on Google Earth and wonder if it is a large imposing sort of gate in white marble with some circular steps . It appears to be adjacent to an apartment block and also has some ochre coloured arches in a wall nearby??

Any clues on how to ask driver to go there?

Many thanks

Hlitner are you still there.

I am referencing your info re the back gate at Civitavecchia port. I looked on Google Earth and wonder if it is a large imposing sort of gate in white marble with some circular steps . It appears to be adjacent to an apartment block and also has some ochre coloured arches in a wall nearby??

Any clues on how to ask driver to go there?

Many thanks

That sounds about right. We remember walking up some steps and going through the walls at an open doorway. To be honest, when we did this it was the port bus driver who made the suggestion. The guy spoke excellent English and overheard DW and I talking (we were sitting near the driver) about going to Europcar. When we got to the main port gate he shocked me when he suggested (in English) that we stay on the bus. After everyone was off he then drove us over to the back gate. Not sure they will do this anymore since the buses normally wait at a stop near the main entrance...but it never hurts to ask. If you have to get to the rental car dealer from the main entrance it would be walkable, but its a hike. We would not do it with our luggage, but I could see leaving DW at the gate guarding our luggage while I hiked to the rental car dealer. On another trip we did get off at the main gate and tried to find a taxi to take us to the rental car dealer. A local guy overheard me asking (and getting rejected) by a local taxi and offered to drive us over to Europcar (I think its near Budget and Avis) for free.

Our solution to all these rental car hassles is to simply rent from Hertz (only a few blocks from the port entrance). We have not tried using the Sixt location which is even closer....when its open.

Hank

Thanks Hank,

That was quick. The problem for us is that we arrive on May 1st, which is the May labour day holiday and Hertz is closed, they are my preference usually. I will have a look at Sixt but think only Avis and Europcar are open.

I will take my print out and see if I can inveigle a ride from driver. We may have luck.

Thanks Hank,

That was quick. The problem for us is that we arrive on May 1st, which is the May labour day holiday and Hertz is closed, they are my preference usually. I will have a look at Sixt but think only Avis and Europcar are open.

I will take my print out and see if I can inveigle a ride from driver. We may have luck.

ARGH! May 1 is always a problem day in Europe. I am amazed you have found any rental car dealer open. I would wonder if that side gate is locked on a holiday....but that is another issue. But the point is that you can get to those dealers one way or another (even if one of you has to walk). I would be shocked if Sixt is open as they were closed when we were in Civitavecchia this past October on a Sunday.

Hank

Archived