Does an infant have to pay tips too?

WaileaKid

If you prepay Im told the infant will not be charged tips, if under age 2.

Some onboard have mixed results.

.... though a baby does need more service to me, not less, but if you arent prepaying tips, you can remove them and tell them why?

As others mentioned, kids under two don't pay tips. However, I highly recommend that you bring some cash to compensate the people that will be attending your little one.

When we sailed in December with our one year old, the crew REALLY went out of their way to ensure that our son was well taken care of and to clean up our cabin and leave it immaculate twice a day, even with the chaos caused by all of our baby gear. In fact, they worked harder to take care of him than to take care of us! They wouldn't even let us bend down to pick up Cheerios from the floor. Literally, our waiter tapped on my wife's shoulder and told her to get up, that she was on vacation...:)

Literally, our waiter tapped on my wife's shoulder and told her to get up, that she was on vacation...:)

It's so nice of someone to do that. We will definitely make a point to carry extra tips for the folks that attend to our room.

Thanks for confirming that kids under 2 don't have to pay tips.

So we are travelling with a 9 month old. I know that the tips per day are charged at $10pp. Does that include infant as well?

We were on the Liberty last Jan. with our 7 month Grandson.

Had adjoining cabins, the infant Grandson was my Cabin mate as far as the SS card went, and there were no tips added to the Card for him. but I did pay full fare.

That being said, No one had to lift and extra finger for him, nor did we want anyone to. We even asked our Room steward for the Bio Hazard bag, for the Diapers, so they wouldn't have to deal with that, except to pick up the bag and leave a new one.

Even with that being said, we did have an 8 year old with us, paid the tips for him, and gave extra at the end too. Those guys are miracle workers :)

Long answer short, no tips for the infant. But you will want to have extra, just because the take such good care of you.

Need any tips on what we found helpful for bringing an infant just ask.

our November cruise we did indeed have to pay for our youngest daughter who was just over 1 at the time..we paid $50/day for five of us.....no pre pay, but it was on our sign and sail

Sounds like someone fell down on the job...under two no Auto Tips...

If you had a TA, I wouldn't use them again...

our November cruise we did indeed have to pay for our youngest daughter who was just over 1 at the time..we paid $50/day for five of us.....no pre pay, but it was on our sign and sail

I knew I had seen mixed results onboard.

prepaying they never charge, but onboard they have sometimes charged for infants.

Thats why I told the OP if they did charge he could have it removed and tell them why (infant)

They said they did not prepay, just auto tips onboard... nothing to do with their TA.

we booked through one of the big Vacations websites and were told everyone pays tips...if you pay a fare, you pay a tip. Looks like some have paid, some didn't. Weird.

Sailed with my son last summer when he was 9 months at the time, and we did not pre-pay gratuities & we were still not charged for tips for our son. But of course we left our room stewards & waiters extra at the end for being so helpful!!

We are sailing this June with our son again, who will be 15 months, and we pre-paid the gratuities this time around & still no tip charge, but indeed plan on tipping extra as usual at the end.

As others mentioned, kids under two don't pay tips. However, I highly recommend that you bring some cash to compensate the people that will be attending your little one.

When we sailed in December with our one year old, the crew REALLY went out of their way to ensure that our son was well taken care of and to clean up our cabin and leave it immaculate twice a day, even with the chaos caused by all of our baby gear. In fact, they worked harder to take care of him than to take care of us! They wouldn't even let us bend down to pick up Cheerios from the floor. Literally, our waiter tapped on my wife's shoulder and told her to get up, that she was on vacation...:)

Wow, that was not our experience at all and we traveled with 4 kids, one of which was only 10 months. The crew were very friendly with the kids and that was nice but no one helped us with the kids or infant at all. And I didn't know about the no-tips-under-2 policy. We paid gratuities for all of our kids. Total cost for a 9 day for us was $$630! Yikes!

Wow, that was not our experience at all and we traveled with 4 kids, one of which was only 10 months. The crew were very friendly with the kids and that was nice but no one helped us with the kids or infant at all. And I didn't know about the no-tips-under-2 policy. We paid gratuities for all of our kids. Total cost for a 9 day for us was $$630! Yikes!

Well, that is even more than it should be for 6 people? Did you have 7?

If I had not been on these boards before going on a cruise with our little one, I would not have known the difference either, and paid the gratuity. As it turns out, these boards saved me there, and that savings went directly to those who earned it the most. The Room Stewards

Because, no other people did anything to help with our Grandsons, the 8 year old was having nothing to do with Camp Carnival, his is use to hanging around with us. Heck his dad is funner than the camp. No dissing the camp either, just my son in love is a fun dad, and he loves to do fun stuff with his kids.

And Fire, be it a TA or the big Vaca. Co. they fail them, and should not be used again. Now if it was the ship, well, I try them again...but being smarter to ask about the tips for infants. Knowledge saves $$

Wow, that was not our experience at all and we traveled with 4 kids, one of which was only 10 months....no one helped us with the kids or infant at all....

We had a wonderful experience. Our cabin steward had an infant son as well (in India) and needless to say, he missed him tremendously. So the first thing he told us was that he would take care of our son as if it was his own. :)

He would make up his crib and leave mini towel animals in it. He kept leaving ice buckets outside our door throughout the day without being asked because he knew that we would probably keep things like milk cold. He also brought on the first day an extra trash bucket with the biohazard bag specifically for diapers which actually turned out to be very convenient.

At the main restaurant, our waiter was awesome as well (we had Anytime Dining, but would request the same waiter every night). As soon as he'd see us walking to the table, he'd get a glass of milk and bring it to our table so that our little one would have something right away. He'd take our son's order immediately so that he wouldn't need to wait too long for his food to come. His timing made our dinner time truly enjoyable.

Finally, several employees working at the buffet were excellent as well. We learned that many of them had infants back home as well, and you could tell how much they missed them. One employee would make paper puppets and drop them at our table every morning. Later on we learned that he would make those paper puppets for his son back home...

Overall, the staff was amazing, very accomodating, kept going out of their way to make us feel welcome, and to make our son's first cruise extra special...:)

Marie, thanks so much for the info. Great idea that if you are charged auto-tips, to remove them and delegate to the steward or whomever actually helped. That would be the only time I would consider removing auto-tips.

I do have a question....sorry to hijack. Do they have high chairs in the MDR? Do you take an umbrella stroller? A carseat? We were going to take a carseat, but how difficult is it to carry on excursions? Thanks so much.

I do have a question....sorry to hijack. Do they have high chairs in the MDR? Do you take an umbrella stroller? A carseat? We were going to take a carseat, but how difficult is it to carry on excursions? Thanks so much.

Yes. There are high chairs at the MDR and buffet.

We didn't bring a car seat (and didn't need it at all). But we also planned our activities so that we wouldn't need to ride in cars.

We brought a compact stroller. A bit larger then an umbrella stroller, but it had a tray and a canopy. Very compact and easy to hide under the bed.

We just got off the Sensation 2 days ago and my husband specifically asked about the auto tip for our 8 mos old daughter and the lady wasn't sure, then asked someone and was told that under 2 they don't charge the daily tip. We gave an extra tip to our waiter but other than that we didn't come across anyone that seemed to go out of their way for us or our children. Most of the highchairs in the dining room had broken straps and the staff looked confused when I asked if they could possibly find one with a buckle that wasn't broken as our daughter is quite little and needs the strap to hold her in the high chair. Our room steward didn't have to deal with anything regarding our infant as we brought our own crib sheets so there was no bed to make up and she only drank bottles and ate a bit of baby food but didn't make a mess. I'm glad they didn't require a tip from her or we would've removed it anyway.

We are considering taking our family on a Anniversary Cruise for my parents in

December. That would include our soon to arrive granddaughter who would

be 7 months old. There would be 8 adults and 1 baby, so I am thinking

between all the adults we should be able to handle one infant. Anyone

who can offer any great packing tips, traveling tips, ect. would be helpful.

My email address is: tduke1111@aol.com.

As we will be flying down the car seat seems to be one of our challenges. We will only need the car seat for transfers to and from the airport so hate to have to haul it just for that. We will not car travel with her in port.

We have cruised several times so that will not be new to us - just the infant will be a change - and I might add I am so excited to be a first time grandma.

Thanks

Archived