Big difference between Carnival and Royal Carribean?

bethtogo

• Carnival's cabins are a little bigger, balconies are larger on Royal.
  • Beds are fine on each
  • Royal has a better buffet layout then Carnival, but Carnival has trays you can use.
  • We have had good service on both lines
  • Miracle had some food at night while Mariner just has finger sandwiches, cookies, and pizza. The Miracle you ate in the Lido deck, Royal you would eat on their Promenade
  • Headliner shows are better on Royal, Carnival had more comedy nights.
  • I found the food to be much better on Royal (never went to any specialty restaurants)
  • Room service is free on Royal until Midnight (I think that is the time). Carnival is always free. You can get a true breakfast on Royal, Carnival you can only get a continental breakfast
  • Royal has shower doors, Carnival has a curtain
  • Carnival you get a little basket of things like toothpaste, disposable razor, etc. Royal you don't
  • Carnival has a regular door to the balcony with a little lip you have to step over. Royal has a sliding glass door.

I think you should try Mariner, see what you like better and then go from there.

I have not been on the Voyager class, and really don't have an urgency to go on one just because from what I've read, seen, talked to people about they really have a shopping mall feel.

Radiance class on the other hand is very nice.

Hi fellow cruiser,

I'm on the do the opposite of you going on CC for the first time.

I cruise on the mariner last year for my first cruise. we enjoy the MR so much we are going again this year.we traveled with two other couples the ship is truly beautiful and i couldn't give u any negative feed back service was great ,room, food, atmosphere, excursions were a blast our favorite was the canopy adventure in Mazatlan...could have done with out the jeep safari in PV...we paid to be full of dirt and not much to see or do it was BORING!!...seven day were not enough on the mariner....for any of us! please give me ur feed back if u do choose to go on the mariner of the seas.

enjoy!!

I see that you are going on the Spirit! Great ship!

and the preparation and quality of the foods in the mdr is many steps above rccl.

Thanks for the explanation. :) This is the thing that's most important to us. Dining is a major consideration on our vacations. We'll probably eat in the Steakhouse twice & dine at the Chef's table once, but I'm glad to see the quality is good in the MDR also. We've never sailed on an RCCL ship. We mostly sail with Celebrity, which has good food, in our opinion. My one cruise on NCL may be the last, because the food quality was so poor.

I have only tried RCI once, so this may not be a fair comment but for us, the food on CCL was better as was the service. I do think as far as service goes it was just an unlucky one for us. Our waiter on the EOS sucked and we never met the cabin steward (first and only time that ever happened)....but the cabin was clean and that's basically the important thing, right? :) I truly believe if I were to sail RCI again, I wouldn't have the same complaint. I think it was just a fluke.

I did find that the EOS was just an amazingly gorgeous ship, far nicer than anything CCL has on the seas....not sure what the Mariner is like.

Bottom line is both lines are very good, each has their own special 'thing'. I will say that, although when I sailed that one RCI cruise (a couple years ago) I thought that CCL was much better....but since that time, I have found that my CCL cruises have not been the same. Something is just missing....so if I had a choice between the two lines now, I would seriously consider the Royal cruise, when 3 years ago, I wouldn't have.

I know it's personal preference but I think the food on Carnival is much better than on Royal Caribbean.

RCCL was our first cruise line. After my first cruise on Carnival, I compared the two. To me, Carnival has better food, the staterooms are larger, and I had much more fun on Carnival.

We have only sailed on Carnival~ wondering if we should try Royal Carribean once. It would be Mariner of the Seas - same itinerary as we are looking at with Liberty or Legend. Would appreciate any feedback/opinions...

We have sailed on both lines and find them relatively the same. Royal might have a little better service, but Carnivals cabins are bigger and the beds are more comfortable. The food is about the same and the shows on Carnival are a little better. Since the itinerary is the same, I would go with whichever line has the best price.:)

RCCL was our first cruise line. After my first cruise on Carnival, I compared the two. To me, Carnival has better food, the staterooms are larger, and I had much more fun on Carnival.

Not on the bigger newer RCCL ships and they have larger balconies.....

I have not been on the Voyager class, and really don't have an urgency to go on one just because from what I've read, seen, talked to people about they really have a shopping mall feel.

Radiance class on the other hand is very nice.

I thought the same as you until I actually cruised on one.....my advice go with your own experience......night and day:)

Not on the bigger newer RCCL ships and they have larger balconies.....

And the suites dont even begin to be close to the same between the two. I was in a JS on Liberty of the sea vs. cat 11 on carnival, whatever the new name is. The balcony is over 100 s.f. and the cabin was over 300 s.f. I believe.

Anyone who says all cabins on Carnival are bigger, probably hasnt been on both ships in many cabins.... or they are a Carnival cheerleader.

And a real suite on RCL absolutely blows away suites on Carnival. No comparison.

And the suites dont even begin to be close to the same between the two. I was in a JS on Liberty of the sea vs. cat 11 on carnival, whatever the new name is. The balcony is over 100 s.f. and the cabin was over 300 s.f. I believe.

Anyone who says all cabins on Carnival are bigger, probably hasnt been on both ships in many cabins.... or they are a Carnival cheerleader.

And a real suite on RCL absolutely blows away suites on Carnival. No comparison.

I agree!

If it's important.............

All Carnival ships have self serve laundry ($) with irons free for use.

I do not know about Royal. Someone will here will chime in on that.

We have cruised both lines.

Have no problem cruising either line.

Ships are very nice on rccl-just can not justify the extra cost.

Carnival food is alot better on carnival and a lot more options.

Which ever one you choose i am sure you will have fun.

If it's important.............

All Carnival ships have self serve laundry ($) with irons free for use.

I do not know about Royal. Someone will here will chime in on that.

no launderettes or iron rooms on rccl. you also can't bring wine or non potables on board.

Although we're not terribly experienced cruisers - we're counting down for our third cruise in July - I prefer Carnival for a variety of reasons. I have no complaints with my experience on our cruise with RCCL, but the total experience with Carnival has been more comfortable. We've done the formal tuxedo formal dinner nights, but also enjoy the option to dress business casual in the MDR, too. The atmosphere on board just suits me better. We're not big partiers or drinkers, but enjoyed the entertainment, dining, and on-board atmosphere on Carnival more. We're a middle to upper-middle class family, and while I wouldn't hesitate to cruise RCCL again, I know that I'll be a bit more comfortable on Carnival.

We have sailed each line and from our brief experience the food was very similar in quality with just a slight edge to RC.

The age demographic and attitude is the big difference. The median age was much lower on CCL. While there was a slightly higher percentage of minors on CCL the number of cruisers in their 20s, 30s, and 40s was significantly higher on CCL.

RC seemed to be an older and more relaxed crowd that mostly disappears at night while CCL's crowd seems to start the party earlier and keeps it running much later.

One big issue we had with RC is that during the last cruise we were on it was a sea day in August and every person under 50 (and young minded older folks) were enjoying a huge party by the pools. There was already too few lounge chairs but they decided to shut half of the pool area down mid day in order to serve food. As if there weren't plenty of food areas already they had to put a stop to all the fun at the pool for another friggin buffet.

I am sure it made those who cruise for the unlimited food jump for joy but those of us who were there for fun were pretty p****d.

Bottom line..... If you like a quieter time and slightly better food then RC. If you like a younger crowd with a wilder day/night life then CCL.

Try it, you'll probably like it very much. I found both to be great vacations, although overall I have a slight preference for RCI, but I'm not willing to pay 30%-40% for an RCI cruise with a similar itinerary. So, I'll be cruising Carnival this summer and expect to have a great time!

We have sailed on both lines and find them relatively the same. Royal might have a little better service, but Carnivals cabins are bigger and the beds are more comfortable. The food is about the same and the shows on Carnival are a little better. Since the itinerary is the same, I would go with whichever line has the best price.:)

See, and I thought shows on RCI were better, so when the differences are that small, it's really up to personal preference.

CCL ships are more similar or if you prefer, consistent. RCI have some beautiful ships, but also some awful ships such as Majesty or Monarch. As long as I stay away from those two, I find RCI ships much prettier and more interesting.

Cabins depend on category. If you are value driven, CCL's insides and OVs are spacious and comfortable. If you want to splurge a little, both RCI and NCL have better suites.

Food is comparable. To me, RCI's MDR and buffet are slightly nicer. But CCL is certainly good enough.

I like RCI headline shows. Not into comedy clubs so can't commend on that.

Overall, I like RCI better but I do not think it always justifies a much higher price. If only for a few hundred dollars, I will choose RCI. Any more than that, I won't hesitate to sail CCL.

We have only sailed on Carnival~ wondering if we should try Royal Carribean once. It would be Mariner of the Seas - same itinerary as we are looking at with Liberty or Legend. Would appreciate any feedback/opinions...

There is no reason not to. I've cruised seven times on Carnival and six times on Royal Caribbean, including once on the Mariner of the Seas. I have one cruise book on each line.

Here is my review of the Mariner of the Seas ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=55962

And here is a link to over 500 pictures of the Mariner of the Seas ...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573273143cjeyif

A poster asked for more of a critique of the food, here are our impressions of the food on RCCL (just our opinion):

1. They served a lot of the casserole/stir fry type of food at the buffet which was very goopy and much too salty for our taste.

2. The sauces served in the MDR were also very salty.

3. The rolls served in the MDR were hard as rocks.

4. The free soft serve ice cream machines were always broken or there wasn't anything to put the ice cream in (no bowls, cups or cones).

5. The pizza was horrible, tasted like cheese on hot cardboard.

Whenever I have sailed on RCCL, I have actually lost weight because the food is so awful.

This is our experience only, please no flaming.

I really liked the Marnier. Would easily go on it again. I decided to try Carnival for something different. I wanted an element of surprise. They are both very comparable. Bathrooms and cabins are bigger on Carnival. Price would be the deciding factor for me. We are wanting to go on an Alaska cruise and a Med. cruise. Price will play a big part.

This is so subjective...everyone has different wants and expectations.

We just got back from our first Carnival cruise on the Victory. Our two previous were Adventure of the Seas last year and Grandeur of the Seas 3 years ago. Our preference is RCL for a few reasons.

Hubby & I both commented about mid week on the Victory that the food was much better on Royal Caribbean. And there seemed to be more options, both on the MDR menu and at the buffet on RC. Breakfast at the buffet definitely was better on RC. Everything on the Victory's breakfast was the same day after day in the buffet...NOTHING different.

Our dining room staff on the Victory was friendly, but again, on AOS & Grandeur they were just better...friendlier, go that extra mile kind of service. Both times on RC our wait staff chatted us all up every night at dinner...asked us what we did for excursions, where did we go?, made recommendations for beaches, etc. The wait staff on the Victory was just more "business like"

Our cabin was roomier on the Victory, but on RC both times we had an inside cabin and on Victory we had an ocean view, so it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Beds were incredibly comfy on both!!

We loved the Promenade on AOS!! Every night after the show, the four of us would go to the little cafe and have a hot chocolate/coffee and a snack (because you know we didn't eat enough all day!!! LOL) before bed. This got to be our routine and we loved it.

I expected a lot more kids on Carnival, but I'd say it was just about even on both RCL & CCL.

We were so tired from snorkelling and beaching all day, we didn't actually make it to any of the shows on Carnival Victory this time, so I can't compare this. We did enjoy all the shows we went to on AOS & Grandeur.

We enjoyed our Victory cruise very much, but it had more to do with the group of friends we were travelling with. If the right price and itinerary comes around again, we would do Carnival again, but for us, RCI just has the edge on what we want and like.

My brother has cruised Voyager Class on Royal Carribean (includes Mariner of the Seas) and gone on serveral Carnival cruises. He really likes them both, and for his next cruise, he'll be doing the Splendor in November for Thanksgiving.

He really liked the WOW factor of the Voyager class and the look of the dining room. He told me he'd be willing to pay about a $100 pp per week premium for Voyager vs. Conquest class mostly for this Wow factor, but definately not more than that, as he loves Conquest class on Carnival too and thinks it's an outstanding value. That being said, he's usually found RCCL to be more expensive than Carnival by more than $100 pp and has done way more Carnival cruises than RCCL cruises.

Archived