Euros

indycrew

Did the Grand Med last year the end of May and it was exhausting but spectacular. You are here on the generic Princess board. May I suggest you click on "Boards" above and then go to Ports of Call, click on Europe and read there. Wealth of info.

If you choose to exchange money before leaving the US thru your bank, check ahead of time. As a rule, you have to order it and usually a two to three day turnaround. BTW, one of the things you will discover over on those other boards is that not all banks, ATM and credit cards are created equal.

As an example: I have a very large military credit union and Wachovia. Differences: Wachovia charges $15 to order other currencies and then charges a 3% conversion rate placed on amount you "buy" if you do it beforehand (or did last year anyway). Credit union does not get involved in currency conversion.

ATM/debit cards - my CU charges a straight 1% conversion charge when you take money out of ATM, but no additional ATM charge for using the card. Wachovia charges $5 each ATM transaction and then assesses a 3% charge for currency conversion to withdraw money, plus any potential ATM charge to use your card away from their machines.

Credit cards - CU again charges a 1% currency conversion on each charge, Wachovia is 3%.

May be scary but I left home for Dulles AP in Washington DC with $25 US currency which was used for breakfast at AP since we departed early. Once we landed in AP in Barcelona, I took out about $100 euro from ATM to use for cab ride to hotel. Once away from the more expensive AP ATMs I took out more money nearer our hotel. Just don't use the AP kiosks. They really rip you off!

The reason we want to use dollars is because a) we're more comfortable with our own currency and b) so many countries make us comfortable doing so. How many times do you see a sign posted "U.S. dollars accepted?" Answer: very often. Perhaps Canadian dollars do not enjoy the same acceptance. I really don't know. What I do know is the last two times we were in Canada, both the HOHO bus in Vancouver and Tim Horton's in Newfoundland took our dollars too.

This is what I just received this morning from the tour operator in Turkey:

"In Turkey it's acceptable almost any international currency" (sic) and "For small payments it is prefferable to pay in turkish liras"

Of course, even though I am Canadian, I will take USD since I get more for my CND that way. Yes, we will accept the USD here, of course. The courtesy is not always reciprocated though.:)

This is what I just received this morning from the tour operator in Turkey:

"In Turkey it's acceptable almost any international currency" (sic) and "For small payments it is prefferable to pay in turkish liras"

Of course, even though I am Canadian, I will take USD since I get more for my CND that way. Yes, we will accept the USD here, of course. The courtesy is not always reciprocated though.:)

Hi Sportsmum,

The Turks are on the verge of joining the European Union and when we were last in Ephesus and Kusadasi all they wanted were Euros. from the stallholders outside Ephesus to the shops in Kusadasi who had all their items priced in both Euros and Turkish lira. About the only places that took Turkish Lira were the official places like the extra charge at Ephesus for the Terraced houses.

On the continent the Euro is like the countries over your side of the pond accepting the U.S.$. Like Mexico etc.

Berwyn

THANKS! This is great info. I will email back and see if Euro's will give me a better rate. I bought Euros a while back at a good price so I was a little ahead of the game. I had asked what currency they preffered, but maybe she assumed I was American and was taking the exchange issue out of my hands.

I will ask here before I head to the Italy board- just in case someone knows off hand. Pia has reminded me that I should find a place to stock up on things before we board in Venice. Is there a place to buy Pepsi by St Marks?

I am not a wine drinker but maybe I should try again.........when in Rome.......!

THANKS! This is great info. I will email back and see if Euro's will give me a better rate. I bought Euros a while back at a good price so I was a little ahead of the game. I had asked what currency they preffered, but maybe she assumed I was American and was taking the exchange issue out of my hands.

I will ask here before I head to the Italy board- just in case someone knows off hand. Pia has reminded me that I should find a place to stock up on things before we board in Venice. Is there a place to buy Pepsi by St Marks?

I am not a wine drinker but maybe I should try again.........when in Rome.......!

One thing you have to consider is, the closer you get to St. Marks the higher the prices will be, even for bottles/ cans Pepsi. Can't help with places to buy it though. We have been to Venice twice but as excursions from a hotel holiday in the Italian Lakes.

You can't beat Italy for lovely wine, both Red and White. For reds try a Merlot from the Venetian Plain or Valpolicella. White : Pinot Grigiot or Soave if you like a drier white.

Berwyn

Hi Sportsmum,

The Turks are on the verge of joining the European Union and when we were last in Ephesus and Kusadasi all they wanted were Euros. from the stallholders outside Ephesus to the shops in Kusadasi who had all their items priced in both Euros and Turkish lira. About the only places that took Turkish Lira were the official places like the extra charge at Ephesus for the Terraced houses.

On the continent the Euro is like the countries over your side of the pond accepting the U.S.$. Like Mexico etc.

Berwyn

The potty's outside the main entrance to the Grand Bazaar are only taking Turkish Lira. And Starbucks. But Starbucks takes credits cards; little potty ladies do not. :eek:

Ah.......... the Pepsi dilemma. I have spent much time in many countries trying to find Diet Pepsi. Most of the time; impossible. Had I found any in Venice I would have remembered. :D

Oh great and now you can't even take Pepsi as carry on! I googled Pepsi in Venice and all I get is a 'sexy commercial' with David Beckham!:eek:

Where there's a will there's a way.......

Potty follow up, please. Toilet paper supplied or do I bring my own?

I never said "cheap", I said "inexpensive." Paying top dollar for anything doesn't mean you're getting the best. What it often means is that you got taken. But thanks for calling it to everyone's attention. :rolleyes:

LOL! I hope I meet you on a cruise Pia :D

Hi All

Keep some Euro coins , you never know whe you will need them,

While in Italy on tour at a railway station a young girl I would say about 8

years of age went to the public WC, she came straight back and told her

mum that it had been stolen there was only a hole in the floor,

you good folks from the US will find public WC in parts of Europe shall we

say not what you are used to, like paing admission and being given a limit

about of paper to use, those little packs of paper tissues you can buy

come in very useful at times.

yours Shogun

Oh great and now you can't even take Pepsi as carry on! I googled Pepsi in Venice and all I get is a 'sexy commercial' with David Beckham!:eek:

Where there's a will there's a way.......

Potty follow up, please. Toilet paper supplied or do I bring my own?

They dole it out, like precious material. Always, always carry your own or a baggie full of kleenex will do as well.

Hi There

You will pay person, some big stores have turnstyles that you will need a few coins for, many places will have a lady and a dish of coins and a little sign telling you the charges,

however have been to some places were the lady had full view of everything,

another where the stalls had no front doors only sides, yet another were

boys and girls shared,

the one good thing that MacDonalds has are WC's you can depend upon,

going to public ones in some places is an education, as to the holes

in the floor hope you have not eaten anything before you go.

yours shogun

[quote name='Mrs Charmin']How much do we pay to use the "potty" please? Do you pay a person, or do you need coins to insert into a slot to open the door? I seem to recall having to do that in London many years ago.

Thanks, Norah[/quote]

No set price. Depends on where you are. Some have slots; most have attendants.

[quote name='Mrs Charmin']How much do we pay to use the "potty" please? Do you pay a person, or do you need coins to insert into a slot to open the door? I seem to recall having to do that in London many years ago.

Thanks, Norah[/QUOTE]

ROFL Norah,
We're not that uncivilized over her in Europe.
You might need say about 50cents to tip the "bathroom attendant" If outside Europe I always carry 1 US$ bills to tip the toilet attendant, I know it's more than required but it's the smallest value note I can carry. They don't like coins from other countries.

Berwyn

[quote name='Mrs Charmin']Wow - I don't mind paying, but hope for a little privacy please. We'll be in Spain, Monaco, Italy, Greece and Turkey. Well, it will all make for interesting memories.

Norah[/QUOTE]

Hi Norah,
We're not that uncivilised over here in Europe. (Even though most of us Brits don't count ourselves as Europeans). You will rarely find those toilets with 2 pedistals for your feet and a hole in the middle any more.

Berwyn

Take a few qt size baggies. Each morning before you depart the ship for your tours, take some TP and wrap a few strands around your hand and pull off one or two times. I'd put that, along with those foil wrapped hand wipes (plus I had Purell in purse). Just saying that because while TP is meagerly doled out, many places had no soap so plan accordingly. We may have been lucky because in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey never saw the old pit toilets.

[quote name='financialgrl']Take a few qt size baggies. Each morning before you depart the ship for your tours, take some TP and wrap a few strands around your hand and pull off one or two times. I'd put that, along with those foil wrapped hand wipes (plus I had Purell in purse). Just saying that because while TP is meagerly doled out, many places had no soap so plan accordingly. We may have been lucky because in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey never saw the old pit toilets.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we always take some tissue with us. (Or rather DW does).
And we always carry our hand sanitizer with us too.

Berwyn

Thanks, Norah[/quote]
Venice was the most expensive at E1,50, about US$2.25, to use a public washroom and there are very few of them.

Archived