Euros

indycrew

We are leaving Barcelona on the Ruby on June 9th! Hurrah! This is our first Princess cruise, but are Emerald on RCCL.

My question is if you go to the Purser to exchange US $$$ for Euros is there a charge?

Our memory is no on RCCL...

Thanks!

Princess has currency exchange machines. You put in dollars and get euros in return. Not only is the exchange rate very unfavorable, there is also a service charge, if I recall correctly.

You are much better off using an ATM machine ashore to get euros. You'll see plenty of them. If you need euros ASAP, look into getting a few through your bank (although the exchange will still not be great, it will be better than Princess offers....).

We are leaving Barcelona on the Ruby on June 9th! Hurrah! This is our first Princess cruise, but are Emerald on RCCL.

My question is if you go to the Purser to exchange US $$$ for Euros is there a charge?

Thanks!

Yes, there is a charge and the exchange rate is not good. Get some euros before you leave home or use an ATM in Barcelona. If you're coming in early. be sure to stop at the supermarket on Las Rambla to pick up very inexpensive wine.

I can think of a lot more reasons for not buying cheap wine than I can for buying cheap wine.

So, why bother?

I never said "cheap", I said "inexpensive." Paying top dollar for anything doesn't mean you're getting the best. What it often means is that you got taken. But thanks for calling it to everyone's attention. :rolleyes:

I never said "cheap", I said "inexpensive." Paying top dollar for anything doesn't mean you're getting the best. What it often means is that you got taken. But thanks for calling it to everyone's attention. :rolleyes:

Inexpensive is the politically correct term for cheap. Then what do you do with it while on the cruise? Do you consume it all before the cruise? What is someone is not a wine drinker? You've made a lot of assumptions in your post.

Inexpensive is the politically correct term for cheap. Then what do you do with it while on the cruise? Do you consume it all before the cruise? What is someone is not a wine drinker? You've made a lot of assumptions in your post.

And since this post is about euros and has lost its original intent, you've just gotten the last word.

Thank you Pia! Is the market where you get wine at the Boqueria or somewhere else on Las Ramblas? I know they also sell wine in the cruise terminal but not sure how the price or the quality compares.

No Carolyn, but the supermarket is just on the next block as the Boqueria. Same side of the street. Boqueria had some very interesting foodstuff; most of it high end. We grabbed something from the bakery and then had it with coffee at Dunkin. Yeh, I know. Pretty tacky. ;)

Avoid the ship for currency exchange at ALL cost. Use an ATM when you arrive or pre-exchange if you need a lot of euros. The ship exchange ATM is highway robbery much like the stands in the airport.

Thanks!

I think Pia is saying that you can get some good quality wine at reasonably inexpensive prices. Not everything in Europe is expensive and wine is one of those things, due to the vast choice we have over here.

We did this cruise on Ruby last August. We are not ATM savy, actually got them for the trip and then had to establish using them. We purchased Euro's in advance through the bank, and actually did use the ATM machine in a foreign port. The ships machine was confusing and often times did not work.

ASounds like Cruiser2 got out of the wrong side of bed thisw morning, Pia. Somehow I think you would get better prices away from the Rambas. It is so touristy that I think their prices may be higher. Anyone know about the price at the terminal.

I would buy a few hundred Euros before you leave on the trip,Indycrew. Yu will probably have to pay a fee for using an ATM I in Europe as well as from your bank unless it is Citybank I hear. You can keep money in your safe but please don't take much money at all to the Ramblas. It is pickpocket heaven and that I unfortunately know as accurate

Thanks for the advice, too...yep, our very distinguishe looking friend got picked in Barcelona, luckily just his glasses case, and the pickpocket was so brazen to just throw them down and walk away!!

Pia--I followed your B2B2B last year on the TA+Med as we were planning ours. Can we use USD for tips and small souvenirs etc at our port calls without a problem? Just not sure about how many euros so want to be sure I have enough funds if an ATM is an issue.

BTW--not being an elitist I know the difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap" so thanks for the heads-up on the wine.

Pat

Pia--I followed your B2B2B last year on the TA+Med as we were planning ours. Can we use USD for tips and small souvenirs etc at our port calls without a problem? Just not sure about how many euros so want to be sure I have enough funds if an ATM is an issue.

BTW--not being an elitist I know the difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap" so thanks for the heads-up on the wine.

Pat

Pat, I had very little in Euros for the entire 40 day trip and still came home with 75. I had changed $200 before we left and also had 45 more. I used as much U.S. as I could and was surprise that so many did accept dollars. What you definitely need them for is potty stops. Or should I say admissions.

Now we are off again and I'm starting with my small supply and will only replenish if needed. Don't forget.......... they don't get stale. Always can be used on another trip.

I can never understand why people want to use US dollars in foreign countries. I would never think of using Canadian dollars in the US. Please respect the countries and use their currency

The reason we want to use dollars is because a) we're more comfortable with our own currency and b) so many countries make us comfortable doing so. How many times do you see a sign posted "U.S. dollars accepted?" Answer: very often. Perhaps Canadian dollars do not enjoy the same acceptance. I really don't know. What I do know is the last two times we were in Canada, both the HOHO bus in Vancouver and Tim Horton's in Newfoundland took our dollars too.

Pia - thanks for all the info..we book our own excursions. On our 2006 trip most of the vendors accepted US dollars, this time most are requesting Euros..so - we will need hands-full of Euros! (ha ha) - and didn't want to carry that much cash from getting them at a US bank unless we absolutely had to!...(and a few to buy that "inexpensive" wine!).

Archived