Help me decide what to do on Grand Turk

abisha

I know that the Cruise Center is a developed commercialized port and will poke around there a little bit, but I'm not sure what else to do on GT and looking for opinions, experiences, photos, etc. I would really like to do a little of each of the following ...beach/poking around in stores/see a little of the island/taste the conch. I also want to add that I really don't want to spend too much $$$$ as we have booked other things on other ports and we are on a budget for family of four. Here's my questions:

1. Recommendation for best beach and best way to get to/from pier (is Governor's beach decent, or are there other ones that are better and why). Beach must have shade, chairs for rent and place to grab a reasonably priced lunch.

2. Island tour. I did read something about a bus that makes a loop and you get on/off at your leisure at whatever stops you want. Is it worth it and how much to see/do, what did you do/see there, and how long would it take, etc.?

3. Taste some conch. Do I need to go to Conch World to do this? Or is there somewhere else in the cruise center I can grab a bite and try it.

There's another place on Governor's beach called "Jack's". Anyone been there and since it's a bar, is it someplace you can go as a family (we have two 17 year olds).

Thanks,

Go to port of call pages for more info.

We were there a few years ago and found lots of free chairs and shade by the beach where the ship docks/ Very nice margaritaville with huge pool nexzt to it.

We were to go back to GT last Oct and wanted to visit Jacks Shack but we missed it due to high winds.

We are renting a gold cart, exploring the island, and heading to Jack's Shack. I emailed asking if kids were ok since we have 4 of them ages 3 - 9. Here was the response I received:

Your kids are welcome. We have 600 feet of beach so you can be as close to the bar as you are comfortable with. The kids have a nice safe sandy beach to play on with the dog, Topher, and floats, noodles, volleyball and beach toys. You can hear the music and get your food down on the beach although you are welcome on the bar deck as well. The Destiny is also in port so we should have a good group partying.

Jack and Janet

And my son was 16 and raves still about it. Contact Bohio Dive Center. We spent the morning at Margaritaville and then did the excursion. Took a cab to the Dive resort. Then we were taken in a smaller boat out in the ocean aways and we dove for conch shells and snorkeled. The went to Gibbs Cay and the guide showed us how they opened the shell to get the conch out and then he made fresh conch salad! Yummy. We fed and swam with stingrays right of the shore and walked around the Cay. It was a really great trip!:) Oh, and we got to keep our shells.

We had delicious conch fritters right at the terminal in Margarittaville. We liked our first order so much, we ordered a second batch. We took the bus on and off around the island. It gave us a nice overview, but we travelled there before the hurricane, so I'm not sure what's left or whats been re-built. We visited the salt fields, the lighthouse, and the prison. We liked the laid-back feel to Grand Turk, and it was one of our favorite stops.

There's another place on Governor's beach called "Jack's". Anyone been there and since it's a bar, is it someplace you can go as a family (we have two 17 year olds).

Jack's Shack is about a quarter mile walk down the beach past Margaritaville. We went last year with our then-14 and 10 YO sons in tow. We didn't have food - early port day, since the ship sailed at 2 - but we had no problems taking our kids there. There's a volleyball net on the beach and the swimming by Jack's is really nice - nicer than by the cruise port. And for the adults, Jack makes a mean rum punch....:p

I would suggest going to Gibbs Cay and playing with the stingrays and then snorkelling. It is around 2 hours, so it is quick, but fun!!!

I was not impressed with the rest of Grand Turk. We rented a golf cart and did a "Let's get lost on Grand Turk" self tour....Oh, we got a map, but the map that we were given was so bad it was hard to read standing still let alone trying to find where you need to turn. Gas is also extrodinarily expensive...

JACK'S SHACK--Walk down the beach, but you will pass two other area--a patel colored bar/grill/dive center, a Crew Bar (with a Canadian flag *BG*), and then you have Jack's Shack...drinks are cheaper, there is a shop, and you can also go scuba diving too.....Oh ya, and the resident dog's name is Topher....He took a liking to me and my friends...perhaps it is cuz we were paying attention to him....

If you want to snorkel you can rent snorkel gear at the beach and see the colorful fish right off the beach in water that is not that deep!!!

Posting from our hotel in Miami, just got off of the glory this morning. Grand Turk was actually our favorite port on this trip (San Juan, Saint Thomas, Half Moon Cay were the others).

It was my wife and I, along with our 2 kids aged 2 and 4. We walked along the beach to Jacks Shack, and had an incredible time. We rented two chairs (5 bucks each) and an umbrella ($10). It was incredible, not crowded at all even with 2 ships in port. The kids loved playing with Topher the bars resident dog, and since we were on the beach it was perfect for the kids, yet the bar was only steps away for cocktails. They also have a BBQ pit going, a bit pricey but others seemed to really enjoy the grub.

We were in Grand Turk on our cruise last May. We stayed close to the ship by spending time at the beach, the shops at the cruise center, Margaritaville and Jack's Shack and had a great time. I posted a bunch of pictures on the "Port of Call" (under Caribbean, then Grand Turk) and I'm attaching that link for you to actually "see" some of what others have mentioned.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1241756

We loved Jack's. It's appropriate for kids, more so than Margaritaville by FAR to me (we had kids 5, 7 and 11 with us). It's like being at someone's beach home. Fun music playing, BBQ going, some beach volleyball happening, people hanging out on the deck and in the sand. Water much nicer than near Margaritaville (where it's rocky and you have to find your path by walking on the coral). We wasted a large part of the day up near Margaritaville with the crowds before we found a great place to chill down at Jack's. If/when we ever make it back to Grand Turk, we're heading straight for Jack's.

It's my understanding, just based on what I'd read before we left, that there really isn't much to see on the rest of the island.

I appreciate the great advice..thanks! If we decide to go to Jack's, we'll need to get a cab as DH has MS and the walk is too far for him. Where would I get a cab once I get off the pier and how far is the cab ride to Jack's and how much? Also..what would I expect to get for food at Jack's in addition to the jerk chicken they serve (or would I need to go elsewhere for a bite to eat or just a snack?

We were in Grand Turk on our cruise last May. We stayed close to the ship by spending time at the beach, the shops at the cruise center, Margaritaville and Jack's Shack and had a great time. I posted a bunch of pictures on the "Port of Call" (under Caribbean, then Grand Turk) and I'm attaching that link for you to actually "see" some of what others have mentioned.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1241756

Great..pics! Thanks for sharing. Now I have a better understanding of the layout and what to expect. GT looks nice.

Archived