Costa Maya: Tapas or Pez Quadro

jaguarstyper

I've read all about both of these places on the Ports of Call boards. But, I'd like to get the HAL pax perspective. In Costa Maya, we have every intention of heading to one of the beach bars in Majahual. The port itself appears to be way too touristy for our liking. I've read a lot, and Tapas Bar and Pez Quadro seem to be the two standout favorites.

We're looking for some laid back beach time with a liberal supply of drinks, food and friendly service.

Anyone been there? Any reccommendations?

Tim

I don't know what the name of the bar we were at was but the beer was cold and it had tables and chairs right on the beach. There are a whole series of them along the beach and they seem to have similar prices which is much lower than the prices at Costa Maya bars. I don't know if I would trust the mixed drinks because I'm not sure where they get their ice but the bottled beer was a safe choice.

You will need to get a ride over in taxi for a few dollars each or if you are feeling strong you can walk over.

Have a great next cruise.

Tim .... You may have already read our review in the Ports Section:

Review: Majahaul (the little fishing village) "OnOurOwn" or just Click Here

We actually were at the beach bar NEXT to Tapas and had a wonderful time!

wwinfl91 .... We may well have been at the same place. It's OK to drink mixed drinks there. I surely did and didn't get sick! :D Seriously, they bring in ice ... and was told by a local that all of the bars in Majahaul use purified water so it's NOT a problem. This little fishing village probably has some of the safest water in Mexico! :)

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

We went to Costa Maya in September when our Eastern cruise was switched to Western suddenly, due to hurricane Jeanne. I quickly had to come up with alternate port plans and found www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com . I purchased the beach break party for $25.00 pp. It included unlimited beverages for the day and a lounge chair on the beach. I also opted to pre-purchase lunch to be included with the beverages..lobster lunch for an additional $15.00 and quesadilla lunch for $5.00. The food was very good, restaurant & restrooms were very clean. We took the bus/van over, had a short walk to the bar and took a taxi back to the port. Consider looking into this as it was convenient, although the weather was so hot at that time it was hard to drink more than a few alcoholic beverages before I had to switch over to the bottled water. I also had a massage by a local for $25.00...right on the beach! Very relaxing!! Good Luck, Chef Nancy:)

Archived