Residency Rate Requirements

Dr Dave

Hi Folks!

I have a quick question concerning the Residency requirements for the West Coast Rate. What type of documentation do you need? I am planning on taking the Splendor out of Long Beach with my brother who is a student at USC. He is from New Mexico (we both are), but since he has been living in LA for the last year, could we qualify for the rate?

What does it say on his drivers license? If he has one for the rate, then yes.

I cant see the port hassled him though. If he doesnt have a drivers license, showing mail addressed to him, like a phone or elec bill would probably be enough if they check, which more than likely they wouldnt.

I never had to show anything. I simply put my current mailing address. I use my passport to travel, which doesn't have my address on it.

My last cruise (November) was on a FL resident's rate. My driver's license is from CA, but address on file with Carnival at the time was NC.

what part of " I'm not a legal resident of the State in question" qualifies one for the residency discount?

Are people really that cheap and unethical?

I always told my kids,,,, there is only one thing on this earth that nobody can take from you,,, that's your integrity. You have to give that away.

what part of " I'm not a legal resident of the State in question" qualifies one for the residency discount?

Are people really that cheap and unethical?

I always told my kids,,,, there is only one thing on this earth that nobody can take from you,,, that's your integrity. You have to give that away.

My dear, I was asking a simple question that I could not find on Carnival's webpage. They don't specify what is considered a resident of the state. Unlike citizenship, which is fairly clearcut, residency is a fairly ambiguous term. When the person who you are traveling with lives in California for 11 months out of the year, I hope that you can appreciate my confusion. If you are presented with an opportunity to save a little and you don’t take it, there is a term for that… gullible. I can easily pay whatever rate I am required to. I was simply making an inquiry that did not require my character or integrity to be placed in doubt. By the way, if you are going to accuse a person of unethical behavior, you really shouldn't attribute a paraphrased quote. That's just....tacky...

To everyone else who responded, thank you.

In 2005 I was with a group and the agent that coordinated the group had booked a number of people with a "resident discount" that they didn't qualify for. Six cabins were flagged and were required to pay the difference before they could board. They had no idea that they had been booked this way. One person (The Host) threw a hissy fit at the check-in area until we told him to just pay the difference and contact the travel agent. It was her fault, not Carnival's.

The TA refunded the amount but she was never received a group booking from our group again.

It just shows that they check and you need to provide proof of residence to qualify. i.e. drivers license

Take care,

Mike

I just checked Carnival's site. There is a West Coast sale going on right now. I started a fake booking on the 6/6 Paradise sailing date. When I check "West Coast Sale" for the rate type, the disclaimer states: "Offer is available to CALIFORNIA, ARIZONA, NEVADA and UTAH residents only and proof of residency is required, in order to qualify."

This is from Carnival's website about residency rules: Any traveler who qualifies for a special resident rate will be required to show a government-issued form of identification (passport, or birth certificate and driver's license) at the pier to validate state of residency prior to boarding the cruise ship.

Dr Dave - I hope this answers your question.

I just checked Carnival's site. There is a West Coast sale going on right now. I started a fake booking on the 6/6 Paradise sailing date. When I check "West Coast Sale" for the rate type, the disclaimer states: "Offer is available to CALIFORNIA, ARIZONA, NEVADA and UTAH residents only and proof of residency is required, in order to qualify."

This is from Carnival's website about residency rules: Any traveler who qualifies for a special resident rate will be required to show a government-issued form of identification (passport, or birth certificate and driver's license) at the pier to validate state of residency prior to boarding the cruise ship.

Dr Dave - I hope this answers your question.

Thanks! I could not find anything stating this online last night. That helps to clarify things!

Archived