John Heald is not the answer...

neo-cruiser

Actually, this is a LOT different than a group of 200 buddhists on a cruise. If it is is a GROUP then they can request a room for their GROUP.

Same as with the AA or FOD meetings, Carnival merely posts a time and location (usually the Library if I remember right) but does not provide anything or anyone for these meetings. There sure isn't a crew member handing out the 12 steps (4,5,6 hell I don't know how many there are) pamphlets or handing out Gay Pride tshirts and rainbow beach towels.....

As soon as someone says "now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more." they need to be written off as religious nuts.

1- you don't "spread the gospel" on a cruise ship. You post a little note in the Fun Times with "Bible Study" or something. What next, Mormons on bikes riding around on the Lido deck? Those little fire and brimstone pamphlets you see in a LOT of Southern Baptist churches?

2- I am pretty sure it is not any passenger's responsibility to "help your passengers enjoy their vacations even more". That right there is WAY over the line.

And no, I am not hating on any religion, FOB, FOD or anything - just merely stating my opinion. But I can't stand for wackos to think they can do anything whenever and wherever they want. You let some fruitcake come up to me on a cruise ship asking if I have seen Jesus lately..... think he was at the Lido buffet earlier......

Excellent post!

....For every little minute request you have. Give the man a break. He is not responsible for your bad time, seating arrangment, or any other aspect of your cruise. Spent a few minutes reading his blog, and the requests made on there are RIDICULOUS ;):(:confused::rolleyes::cool:

Not sure how to answer this....maybe I will ask John on his blog....or better yet I will wait and ask him in person next week when I sail with him on the Magic :D

This item of John helping others comes up often. Even on his blog and He addressed the issue one time to this individual in his normal eloquent self:

Portland Joe Asked:

John respond if you want

This may not win me the popular vote but I don’t need to win friends here. I agree with others here and on Cruise Critic that do not like the fact that you spend time arranging tables and free stuff. Have you not seen that every time someone says that they like you or your blog that they then ask for something. I don’t care but what happens if I want something like a table for two. I have to line up and ask the manager of the dining room.

Your blog is supposed to be an information portal not a wish list.

John Says:

Hello Portland Joe

I am so sorry that you seem so upset about this and that makes me sad as it is certainly not my intention or wish that you feel this way. I do indeed try when asked to help as many people as I can. I think of this as good customer service and I hope you may look at it this way. The blog has changed over the past months and will no doubt change again. But for now, and respectfully, I tell you that I will continue to help those who need it …… and that includes you so please let me know if I may be of service.

Best wishes

I don't CARE...just stating an opinion. He is the best at what he does, it just seems that people take advantage is all.

can't remember for sure if it was Ann Landers or sister Abbey who use to say in their column, "No one can take advantage of you without YOUR permission." This is to say, if you don't want to do something, or can't do it, man up and say "No," and MEAN it.

I wanted to go on his blog and request that he have an AWESOME time on his inaugural Magic cruise....Is that a "weird" thing to ask for - LOL :D

Unless this is you:

Karen Hart

John I have a request for you -- Please have the best most awesome time ever on your inagural Magic cruise as you more than totally deserve it :)

then you can't cause someone already did that!!!!! lol

Although the Bible lady's comments *could* be read as her going around the ship preaching to everyone, i truly do feel that the comments were in regard to her bible classes. That through those classes, she'll spread the word. And not go "cabin door to door" preaching.

For the most part, her request was no different that FOB or FOD. To ask for a place where individuals with a common link can meet, is not wrong. What IS wrong, IMO, is to expect the cruise ship to supply 200 bibles, set up audio/microphone/pulpit and specify exactly what the wording should be in the Fun Times. (not just "Bible Study") This, to me, goes above and beyond what they do for FOB or FOD and should not be free of charge.

Also, my beef with her "request" (and many other requests) is that it appeared for all intents and purposes, that she was fully expecting it to happen. She wasn't asking if it would be possible or what steps she needed to do to arrange it. She said, 'this is what i want to happen, when i want it to happen, so please be sure to have it all ready for us when we board.' That's just wrong, IMO.

As a general comment to the people asking for special stuff from John, yes he currently is welcoming it. But just because someone offers their assistance, doesn't mean you should take advantage of that kindness. If there is something very special you want arranged that can't really be accomplished through a TA or a PVP, by all means, ask. But when it's things like arranging for a table for two, things YOU can arrange yourself through your TA or when you get on the ship, then i think it's pretty selfish to ask John to do it FOR YOU.

I have to agree about the special requests being over the top, but if John feels like helping people that's his business.

The thing I hate is when people don't even say "please" or "thank you" to him -- just drives me crazy. Personally I wouldn't even respond to anyone who was so lacking in manners.

I think his Q and A section could be better used to allow people to comment on policies and make suggestions. For example, I recently sent a note suggesting that CCL consider having a few events for people aged 18-20. While CCL may or may not take my suggestion, as a consumer I appreciate having the chance to put my two cents in...

BTW -- did anyone see the request from April 20th from the guy who asked that a horseshoe be placed on his cabin's door. It seems his wife is highly superstitious. I thought the comment must be from a troll, but John apparently took it seriously.

I agree that the fact he enjoys what he does. He is acting as a bridge to help people who don't exactly know where to go or who to ask. He is bombarded with some strange and downright silly questions and requests. I will ask a question or a see if he can help IF it is important to me and he can be of assistance (such a email to maitre'd for a specific table in the dining room).

We cruise with Carnival frequently and know and like John. DW regularly reads his blog and communicates with him there and on Facebook. She tells him about our cruises, who did well, and if necessary will point out when someone dropped the ball. John has sent items to our cabin on numerous occasions and they were always appreciated although never requested. We will cruise with him a 3rd time this fall on the Carnival Dream.

...BTW -- did anyone see the request from April 20th from the guy who asked that a horseshoe be placed on his cabin's door. It seems his wife is highly superstitious. I thought the comment must be from a troll, but John apparently took it seriously.

LOL! Yes, I did and that cracked me up! :p I couldn't believe it when John said the cabin steward would put it up for them. :rolleyes:

I could not believe someone asking for 200 bibles and a bible class everyday. Talk about people being pushy.

Yeah, this request was a little much.... All they need is a big room and 200 bibles? Wow. Oh, and a mic, lol.

"Psalm 23 Asked:

My husband and me are going on the Inspiration and would like to have a bible study class which we will be hosting for the other passengers. I suggest we do this each day at 9:00am and 5:00pm and all we will need is a big room and a microphone and I would think about 200 bibles. We did this with much success on a recent Princess cruise and are now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more. Our Travel agent told us to contact you so please make sure all is arranged for us when we board as we would like to start the first class after your life boat drills have finished. Here are our cruise details and please can you put “Blood of the Lamb Bible Study Group” hosted by Pam and Steven Lorimar. Thank you for doing this John and God Bless You!"

"

Yeah, this request was a little much.... All they need is a big room and 200 bibles? Wow. Oh, and a mic, lol.

"Psalm 23 Asked:

My husband and me are going on the Inspiration and would like to have a bible study class which we will be hosting for the other passengers. I suggest we do this each day at 9:00am and 5:00pm and all we will need is a big room and a microphone and I would think about 200 bibles. We did this with much success on a recent Princess cruise and are now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more. Our Travel agent told us to contact you so please make sure all is arranged for us when we board as we would like to start the first class after your life boat drills have finished. Here are our cruise details and please can you put “Blood of the Lamb Bible Study Group” hosted by Pam and Steven Lorimar. Thank you for doing this John and God Bless You!"

"

Just what we need on cruises, people doing their best to convert others to their religion. Bet you they are all over the ship advertising for their classes.

Time and a place for everything and this is hardly the place.

The point is that there are people on the ship who are responsible for a lot of these outlandish requests that people feel must be handled personally by John. He opened a can of worms when he started granting requests and can't stop now. Is there any other Cruise Director in the fleet who is bombarded with such silly requests?

If you have a problem with your dining time or table assignment, very simple, go see the Maitre d' upon arrival, he'll fix it for you quickly.

Room too cold or air doesn't work? call your Room Steward.

Dietary restrictions? talk to the Maitre d'

Shore excursion requests? That's why they have a Shore Excursion desk.

Problems with your Sail & Sign? Purser at Guest Services

Want a special bottle of wine? pay for it like everyone else

Want a table by the window? Maitre d'

People are so lazy and think they are so special that they don't want to play by the rules, it's easier to circumvent the procedures that are in place for all cruisers. It's the same in every environment, people cutting lines in Disney World, knocking people aside to get a front seat at an entertainment venue, blah, blah.

Why don't people just let John do the job he was hired to do, he must have a full time assistant working on these request. John is not my friend, I will never stoop so low as to request special treatment from him or any other cruise employee. And, if he was my friend, I would never abuse that relationship by asking for special treatment.

The point is that there are people on the ship who are responsible for a lot of these outlandish requests that people feel must be handled personally by John. He opened a can of worms when he started granting requests and can't stop now. Is there any other Cruise Director in the fleet who is bombarded with such silly requests?

If you have a problem with your dining time or table assignment, very simple, go see the Maitre d' upon arrival, he'll fix it for you quickly.

Room too cold or air doesn't work? call your Room Steward.

Dietary restrictions? talk to the Maitre d'

Shore excursion requests? That's why they have a Shore Excursion desk.

Problems with your Sail & Sign? Purser at Guest Services

Want a special bottle of wine? pay for it like everyone else

Want a table by the window? Maitre d'

People are so lazy and think they are so special that they don't want to play by the rules, it's easier to circumvent the procedures that are in place for all cruisers. It's the same in every environment, people cutting lines in Disney World, knocking people aside to get a front seat at an entertainment venue, blah, blah.

Why don't people just let John do the job he was hired to do, he must have a full time assistant working on these request. John is not my friend, I will never stoop so low as to request special treatment from him or any other cruise employee. And, if he was my friend, I would never abuse that relationship by asking for special treatment.

John's a big boy:eek: ....he can put his big boy pants on if he wants to......

John is laughing all the way to the bank! He doesn't need anyone to protect him from unresonable requests, he can do away with those very well on his own! Give the man a break? Now That's funny. A break from what? EARNING MONEY!!!!!!!

and that would be because John is in essence their boss. He is the top of the top in the CD "food chain". There is a reason he does what he does and the bottom line although he LOVES it is.. for Carnival Corp., IT BENEFITS CARNIVAL. And thats all that really matters. Not another cruise line out there has the connection with their guests that Carnival does because of John Heald. And I am sure he gets paid "brilliantly" for it!:D

I missed it too... i don't see offering a bible study any different than offering a friends of Bill W meeting on a ship.

Damn those teatotalers pushing their agenda... :rolleyes:

Maybe they could combine Bible Study with the Friends of Dorothy. That would keep em busy!

Archived