Not so Normal Must Pack Items?

jamiehaas27

Not so much a pack item...but....

The first picture on my camera is a picture of my name and cell phone number. I just put my first name. That way, hopefully someone honest would find it, if lost and let me know.

I also take a picture of my luggage that I check with the airlines.

If I'm going to send postcards, I take postcard stamps and print out some labels on my computer. Just makes it fast and easy to slap an address label and a stamp on them. Even though I normally do live updates by email to friends, there are some who love postcards...especially the younger ones. I remember as a kid always loving to find a postcard from someone addressed just to me....I try to do that for the kids in my life.

One of my great nieces takes my cards, and does a report on the location when she needs a class paper.

Not so much a pack item...but....

The first picture on my camera is a picture of my name and cell phone number. I just put my first name. That way, hopefully someone honest would find it, if lost and let me know.

I also take a picture of my luggage that I check with the airlines.

If I'm going to send postcards, I take postcard stamps and print out some labels on my computer. Just makes it fast and easy to slap an address label and a stamp on them. Even though I normally do live updates by email to friends, there are some who love postcards...especially the younger ones. I remember as a kid always loving to find a postcard from someone addressed just to me....I try to do that for the kids in my life.

One of my great nieces takes my cards, and does a report on the location when she needs a class paper.

I see that you leave tomorrow. Have a blast on your cruise!! :D

Seriously?? Headlamps? Do you not cruise on ships that have lamps above each bed? Or...any lights at all? Why bring two big bulky headlamps...that I'm going to assume must look pretty sexy strapped to your head while going to the bathroom....when you can just take a small nightlight for the bathroom.

If you are ever on a ship that has lost all power you will understand. CCL Celebration 1995 Fire!!! It gets very dark on a cruise ship when it goes totaly dark. Backpacking headlamps are the only way to go!!

Seriously?? Headlamps? Do you not cruise on ships that have lamps above each bed? Or...any lights at all? Why bring two big bulky headlamps...that I'm going to assume must look pretty sexy strapped to your head while going to the bathroom....when you can just take a small nightlight for the bathroom.

If you are ever on a ship that has lost all power you will understand. CCL Celebration 1995 Fire!!! It gets very dark on a cruise ship when it goes totaly dark. Backpacking headlamps are the only way to go!!

We take our backpacking headlamps. We either hang them from the bedside lamp or place them on the bedside tables. They are very useful for reading in bed or on the balcony at night, using to get to the bathroom bruise free at night and always nice to have in case of that rare emergency. I like the hands free aspect of them better than a flashlight.

Despite what some of the others have rudely commented, I agree with Hiking Girl. Been there - done that and it worked for me! My DH goes to bed earlier than I do and I love to read before going to sleep. On our last cruise, I did so with my headlamp on so as not to disturb him. Yes, I know, a clip on light works well too, but the headlamp hands-free aspect is super and would come in handy in the event of a power outage. Also great for bathroom trips in the night.

As far as cruise fashion etiquette goes, our cabin door is closed and there's no one on our balcony and I couldn't care less what anyone things about my headgear anyway. I'm on vacation - not there to please the masses! I plan to take it on again our cruise in a couple of weeks, so fashion police beware! ;)

As far as cruise fashion etiquette goes, our cabin door is closed and there's no one on our balcony and I couldn't care less what anyone things about my headgear anyway. I'm on vacation - not there to please the masses! I plan to take it on again our cruise in a couple of weeks, so fashion police beware! ;)

Meant to say that I couldn't care less what anyone THINKS about my headgear anyway! :o

Despite what some of the others have rudely commented, I agree with Hiking Girl. Been there - done that and it worked for me! My DH goes to bed earlier than I do and I love to read before going to sleep. On our last cruise, I did so with my headlamp on so as not to disturb him. Yes, I know, a clip on light works well too, but the headlamp hands-free aspect is super and would come in handy in the event of a power outage. Also great for bathroom trips in the night.

That's the SPIRIT! Thanks you guys for sharing a really unusual idea. It may not be for everyboday but I think a lot of folks might benefit from your suggestion.

We have headlamps and never thought about bringing them. But we have had the event of a total power outage on a ship, Diamond Princess, we were off Hawaii. We had just gone to bed at about 11pm and everything stopped and went out. Total quiet. It took a few minutes for the emergency lighting (like a night light) to come on in our inside stateroom but there was no emergency lighting in the lounges where many folks were. The power was only out about 15 or 20 minutes. The captain came on the PA system and said they had to re-book the computer system that controls the whole ship. That didn't give us a warm fuzzy. The blue screen of death image came to mind - horrors!

I mentioned that I carry a small cloth tote bag on the ship and now I throw in a miniature keychain type flashlight. Real miniature, just a little flat thing. It'd come in handy even in the daytime if you're in a bathroom when the lights go out :eek:.

Thanks for sharing and keep those great ideas coming! m--

Love my maglite. I always bring extra batteries, too. Those things are POWERFUL!

Thanks to another poster for the moleskin idea. I'm taking some this time.

I don't like having light when I am sleeping and my husband needs to use the "facilities" through the night. I found the most amazing motion sensor lights on Ebay. Battery operated and go on when his feet hit the floor. Stay on for 30 seconds. Some are blue lights. LOVE 'EM!:D

Great posts!

Things I bring (besides the usual too many clothes)

IPad with lots of ebooks already downloaded and lots of movies I've rented for the plane

and when there's nothing on tv to watch

IPhone with the flashlight app downloaded

Clock app on both my IPad and Iphone

Pop up hamper for dirty clothes

Save up small containers and put my hair gel, shampoo, etc in and then just throw

the containers out and don't have to bring home (more room for stuff I bought and

don't really need)

My own hair dryer

Duct tape

own power cord

battery powered charger for my IPhone/IPad (has come in great on flights)

Night light for the bathroom

Ziplock bags in all sorts of sizes

Luggage scale (once had an incident where we were going to be charged for a piece of

our luggage being overweight, whipped out the trusty scale and proved them wrong!

Lots and lots of $1 and other small denomination bills

A highlighter

All sorts of meds and bandaids, etc. I also bring (tablet form) pepto bismol and take

one in the morning so the GI gods don't hit (doc I work with told me about that trick

when we went to China)

An additional pair of sunglasses

Hand wipes

Stain release pens for those spills

Small wallet to just throw in my pocket instead of toting a purse along

Empty water bottle to fill with water

I always cruise by the sample bins at the stores and see what is there. Great way to

pick up those little items (check your coupons for $$ off these items, alot of times can

get these sample sizes for free and/or for minimal cost)

We take our backpacking headlamps. We either hang them from the bedside lamp or place them on the bedside tables. They are very useful for reading in bed or on the balcony at night, using to get to the bathroom bruise free at night and always nice to have in case of that rare emergency. I like the hands free aspect of them better than a flashlight.

I saw one else post that these would look silly and large. Must be thinking of the wrong thing. Headlamps for camping are tiny.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/headlamp.html

Don't know if I will take our or a small flashlight, but it is a good alternative!

Mole skin and black Iodex.

Only had to use the mole skin once but without it my walking would have been very limited. It comes in two thicknesses. Just the best for blisters.

Black iodex ( for those of you unfamilar with it) is a salve made of iodine and petroleum gel. I couldn't have raised my children without it. Good for any and all nicks, scratches, hangnails, festers, splinters etc. can be bought over the counter at most drug stores.

Does the moleskin go inside the shoe or sandal or actually on the skin? I always get nasty blisters and bring along bandaids made for blisters and even a small foot deodarant to avoid moisture.

As far as our must haves, we ALWAYS bring:

corkscrew

binoculars,

Nook

Imodium and pepto bismal (can't get on the ship)

highlighter pen

Yankee Candle room spray and hand sanitizers (they have them in very small containers)

That's about it. We both take on carry on rolling suitcase and a big tote. Can get off the ship and planes fast.

I took a large plastic lidded drink cup (and straws) from McDonalds. I used it for iced water. I was glad to have it and i think I drank more water than I would have otherwise. Pack small things inside before leaving, and toss when cruise is over.

Do not know if anyone else mentioned this but; an inexpensive plastic matress cover. Put on under the sheets first day. Throw away at end of cruise.

If you had been on the famous Mercury Norvo virus cruises a few years back, like we were, you would know why.:eek:

DDWW

Bubble wrap. It weighs nothing and we can wrap our souvenier rum bottles (which are heavy enough, but have to go in checked baggage to get them on the airplane home) and any other fragibles we might acquire :D

These work like magic if your bottles still have something in them. If it breaks the filling absorbs the liquid completely. http://www.amazon.com/WineDiaper-Padded-Absorbent-Bag-Set/dp/B00308FONW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305319362&sr=8-1 :D

These look great! I've been lucky so far but I know it's only a matter of time before we lose one...:rolleyes:

Archived