Not so Normal Must Pack Items?

jamiehaas27

I agree with TV Dad. One person's frill is another's necessity. We all have different travel styles. Put-downs like "silly" or "ridiculous" aren't useful. If you don't agree with someone's idea, you don't have to use it!:rolleyes:

A lot of the things listed are good for almost any travel. But some are especially good for cruises. The most useful items I've taken so far are 3-4 magnetic-backed spring clips. A lot of regular magnets only handle a few pieces of paper before they fall. Each clip can hold a week's worth of the daily newsletter, sheets of port information, envelopes with excursion tickets or gift-claim certificates, or other documents. (Of course not passports and such, which should be in the safe.) You can also easily take out one piece and leave the rest of the sheaf in the clip. Make sure the magnets are strong, though. Some can be pretty puny. Try them out on the fridge at home first.:p

A magnetic hook or 2 is good, too -- we hang our lanyards with our cruise cards on one.

Linda

(Full disclosure -- I first read about this on another CC discussion on packing.)

***** Oct. 29 2011, Westerdam, 15-night Panama Canal *****

The "silly" or "ridiculous" items are my favourites. Cruise Critic does not just educate, it also entertains.

Posters have mentioned bringing inflatable mattresses, bedding, coffee pots, tea kettles, etc, etc, etc, and I have always loved the vision of one person carrying on board each and every item suggested on CC. (Sometimes I feel like I come pretty close.)

There is no excuse for anyone to ridicule another person for their thoughts and opinions. Rude and offensive comments should be removed from CC.

There is no excuse for anyone to ridicule another person for their thoughts and opinions. Rude and offensive comments should be removed from CC.

I should have added that offensive comments are removed if you press that little red triangle to report them.

Cruise Critic is such a great site, it is a shame that some people try to spoil it by being nasty.

Does the moleskin go inside the shoe or sandal or actually on the skin? I always get nasty blisters and bring along bandaids made for blisters and even a small foot deodarant to avoid moisture.

On the shoe. Don't wan't the sticky part of moleskin on a blister. But if you crafty enough you can make a doughnut shaped cornpad to go around your blister. Last blister I had I used moleskin on my shoe and a blister bandaid on the hotspot.

Molefoam is the same thing only twice as thick.

We bring a nylon 99c store garden tote. Weighs nothing and corrals all the little things on the vanity.

Sister taught me this-

Cut out a portion on a solid room freshener (Renuzit) for the bathroom. I put mine into a holey ziplock bag and then a second one to transport it.

IMHO, everything listed on the post is totally useless and is silly to bring. Postits - use the free pads. Highlighters - they supply ball point pens. A hamper - just bring a plastic bag. Etc., etc., etc. The only useful thing on any of these posts is lots of $1 bills.

DON

Just because you don't find a need for anything on the list doesn't mean it's useless to everyone or silly.

Sunscreen, medication, etc. are pretty useful for a lot of people. IMHO, 'everything' listed isn't absolutely necessary, but many things are helpful and ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for some people.

Just because you don't find a need for anything on the list doesn't mean it's useless to everyone or silly.

Sunscreen, medication, etc. are pretty useful for a lot of people. IMHO, 'everything' listed isn't absolutely necessary, but many things are helpful and ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for some people.

Well said. Thank you. Didn't your mother ever teach you if you can't say something nice then go to another thread?????

Thanks for the tip on the wine diaper. I'm thinking this will be a great Christmas gift for DD who travels all over the country for business and adores wine.

I'm getting some great ideas here, and in addition, I travel now with some Thank You cards. In the past few cruises I have found a few staff members that went above and beyond what they had to do to make my cruise memorable and this is my way of reminding them.

to take your spouse, or significant other. We take the farm it seems when it comes to clothes as well as the unforeseen items. We like to take travel sizes and if we need more we can get most everything at a port. Camera and binocs are very important. We save maps of our excursions to take pictures of the map to remind us where we were and to help identify our pictures. Ipad is very helpful for uploading our pictures to view.

oh my...tell me..IPAD 1? how do you upload your pictures?

many thanks,

Liz and Howard

oh my...tell me..IPAD 1? how do you upload your pictures?

many thanks,

Liz and Howard

Buy the iPad Camera Connection Kit. It allows you to connect a camera USB cable or an SD card to your iPad for photo transfer. The kit is not terribly expensive and super easy to use!

We take our backpacking headlamps. We either hang them from the bedside lamp or place them on the bedside tables. They are very useful for reading in bed or on the balcony at night, using to get to the bathroom bruise free at night and always nice to have in case of that rare emergency. I like the hands free aspect of them better than a flashlight.

I like the ones that also have red LEDs -- less of a harsh light when you don't really want to wake all the way up in the middle of the night.

What a wierd thread! (I love wierd!:D)

Are we all going on a cruiseship?:confused: Or are some just walking down to the store and others moving to another state? :rolleyes:

Take what makes you comfortable, and thanks for pointing out a couple of things I might add on my next cruise. Have been on ten, and change a bit on every one. :cool:

I bring a tiny tube of superglue for repairs. Also a measuring tape for changing metric to inches (I like to buy tablecloths). And an eyeglass string so I don't lose sunglasses.

I was just telling my niece today that superglue is the ONE thing that I'm always sure to bring on a cruise OR camping. It can "seal" a split callus on a foot (not mine of course as I get multiple pedis before cruising)...a shoe repair, it's just a nice insurance.

I agree with a few posters who mention that bringing a lot of these things are over the top. In addition, buying some of this stuff can add up dollar wise as well as weigh down your luggage. That said, choose very carefully and decide what you personally think is crucial. After all, clothes, meds, makeup, shoes,etc. are essential.

For me:

Nook

highlighter

plastic bags

small am't of duct tape

1 bar of Dial soap (or another antibacterial soap)

clorox wipes

hand sanitizer

cork screw

are important items to take.

This year I am packing one or two flameless candles for the balcony.

Leaving for Copenhagen on Thursday . Can't wait!

On the shoe. Don't wan't the sticky part of moleskin on a blister. But if you crafty enough you can make a doughnut shaped cornpad to go around your blister. Last blister I had I used moleskin on my shoe and a blister bandaid on the hotspot.

Molefoam is the same thing only twice as thick.

Love the Bandaids especially made for blisters. They are pricey, but work so well. Also, Bandaids sells a small deodorant for feet. My podiatrist says that even if you think that your own feet don't sweat, they do, and that it is this small am't of moisture and friction that causes blisters. I know, strange topic to discuss but some folks like me get blisters on every vacation. It is painful and I will try anything if it promises to work. I love to walk and walk.

A shower pouf, wash clothes freak me out.

A dry erase marker to write messages to my DH on the mirror.

Me too! I hate wash cloths. I also bring a suction cup hook to put in the shower to hang the poufs.

I bring a few clothes pins to hang swim suits on the clothes line in the shower. They tend to dry faster without being completely draped over the line.

This may not be exactly on topic, but would someone enlighten me as to the issue with wash cloths? In particular, why is a pouf or glove any better (except maybe for some exfoliating properties)?

I don't want to start an argument; just trying to understand.

This may not be exactly on topic, but would someone enlighten me as to the issue with wash cloths? In particular, why is a pouf or glove any better (except maybe for some exfoliating properties)?

I don't want to start an argument; just trying to understand.

Good question! I use a poof at home, but when I travel, don't see the need to take one. The washcloth is changed 2x a day and there is an endless supply, so you don't have to wash your face first:eek:...... I guess it's just personal preference. The poofs weigh nothing and take up no room, so it's a wash.... pun intended!;)

These work like magic if your bottles still have something in them. If it breaks the filling absorbs the liquid completely. http://www.amazon.com/WineDiaper-Padded-Absorbent-Bag-Set/dp/B00308FONW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305319362&sr=8-1 :D

We use them for sending wine to the cruise! Watch this!

Love this!;)

But since I am so chea....uuhhm, Frugal, I think I'll expirament with huggies in a double ziplock first and see how it works!:cool:

If I dumped out my carry on (it's always packed) I'm sure I would have a long list. But instead of trying to find more things to pack, every time we travel we try to decide what is really unnecessary and we can leave off the next time.

Our carry on includes:

(if flying) a change of clothing

first aid kit (small sampling of OTC meds and bandaids, no full sized anythng)

a tap light for the bathroom, I don't like a nightlight in the cabin and the tap light is nice, you don't have to turn on the bathroom light in the middle of the night, I'm sure the candle things work just as well, I prefer non-scented stuff

my extra carry on nylon bag folds down into itself and is the size of a keychain, hanging on the outside of my carry on, along with a mini flashlight clipped on

our own toiletries, this is where the list is long, but the standard items we always use at home

camera, extra memory cards and batteries

3 receptacle power thing, usually not needed, but rare occasions it comes in handy

DVD player, my one concession to what I consider extra, yet I can't sleep without it. Tried using my Ipod touch, not the same. Some DVD's

Kindle, a book for husband

Ipod touch, speakers (tiny fold up ones)

Jewelry, meds, glasses

Perhaps a few other items, but nothing the ship will provide (exception, we don't use the mystery toiletry items). We don't take cups, highlighter pens, paper, hampers, over the door shoe holders (rather use the space for clothing).

We pack all the chargers in the suitcase, they take up too much space in the carry on

Clothing, we pack for 5 - 7 days no matter if the trip is much longer. We really don't want the hassle of trying to manuever more suitcases than we can manage on our own, regardless of how many porters or bellman are in the world. There comes a time when you have to handle it yourself, even when driving to port.

So...do yourself a favor. These lists are well meaning, but you can spend a whole lot of money on not just the purchase of extra "things" but if you fly, every ounce has to be accounted for. Doling out $50-100 for the stuff, then paying an extra $35 per bag each way if it's overweight can add up. My first cruise, I read every scrap of advice given on boards like this, most of the "stuff" never was used, much of it went into the trash or the Goodwill bag eventually.

I know this advice angers overpackers, but you do have to be reasonable. New cruisers are excited and hang on every word of advice, many of them come back and state "next time I won't pack so much".

These work like magic if your bottles still have something in them. If it breaks the filling absorbs the liquid completely. http://www.amazon.com/WineDiaper-Padded-Absorbent-Bag-Set/dp/B00308FONW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305319362&sr=8-1 :D

We use them for sending wine to the cruise! Watch this!

Coulda used this on our recent cruise. Since we had extra weight leftover in our bags, hubby decided to bring a few bottles of our favorite wine (can only be purchased thru the winery). Made it safely from LAX to hotel in Hamburg, Germany. Somewhere along the way between hotel and stateroom, broken bottle and wine over half hubby's clothes. Cost more to get his clothes dry cleaned and laundered than it would have to buy a..maybe even two...REALLY nice bottle on the ship!

For a Non American person, is a "POWER STRIP" what I call a power board, that you plug 3 or 4 appliances into and then that plugs into the wall? :o

It looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-99000-6outlet-Power-Platinum/dp/B00006B8JX/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1307193456&sr=8-6

You definitely don't want to use all of them at the same time for high power items like curling irons, etc. but they are nice for battery chargers, phone chargers, etc.

It does not have a surge protector feature, but some do.

Archived