Help Please - Anyone familiar with Miami

wvliz

My husband and I drove into Miami for the first time today and I accidentally ran a tollbooth! :eek:

Their website says you can pay the toll by mailing them a check and avoid the fine, but they want to know which toll you missed, and I have no idea what the name of it was.

We came in on I95 S, and took exit 4 for FL-112 towards Miami Intl. Airport. It was the last tollboth, just a couple of miles north of the exit.

This site has a map of the tollbooths: www dot floridasturnpike dot com/TRI/index.htm

If anyone knows which tollboth this was, please let me know!!! :p

Good thing it was your car. I rented a car in January and I was informed that I would be charged a rediculous fee like $125 per toll unless I signed up for their flat fee program. If you are renting a car please remember to check about this. I know you can buy a reloadable tag from some places like publix but do some checking on this.

The toll in question is the State Road 112 tollbooth. But if you were heading west to Miami Airport from I 95 there is no toll. The toll is only charged eastbound, I believe.

This is not part of the Florida Turnpike system. It is a Miami Dade Expressway authority toll (MDX). You'll be able to see it if you search for MDX on your favorite search engine

My husband and I drove into Miami for the first time today and I accidentally ran a tollbooth! :eek:

Their website says you can pay the toll by mailing them a check and avoid the fine, but they want to know which toll you missed, and I have no idea what the name of it was.

We came in on I95 S, and took exit 4 for FL-112 towards Miami Intl. Airport. It was the last tollboth, just a couple of miles north of the exit.

This site has a map of the tollbooths: www dot floridasturnpike dot com/TRI/index.htm

While I don't know this toll booth you refer to, we live in South Florida, but hardly ever drive on the Turnpike. Recently, however, we had cause to take the Turnpike and had forgotten that you need the Sunpass now for tolls (which we didn't have because we never take the Turnpike). There was no way for us to pay the toll when we arrived at the toll booth, so DH had no choice but to keep going.:eek: A few weeks later, we got a bill in the mail for $3.50, complete with a photo of the back of our car and license plate. So, I would say not to worry as long as you are in your own vehicle, because a bill will be sent to your address, and you will be able to pay the missed toll then.

While I don't know this toll booth you refer to, we live in South Florida, but hardly ever drive on the Turnpike. Recently, however, we had cause to take the Turnpike and had forgotten that you need the Sunpass now for tolls (which we didn't have because we never take the Turnpike). There was no way for us to pay the toll when we arrived at the toll booth, so DH had no choice but to keep going.:eek: A few weeks later, we got a bill in the mail for $3.50, complete with a photo of the back of our car and license plate. So, I would say not to worry as long as you are in your own vehicle, because a bill will be sent to your address, and you will be able to pay the missed toll then.

Yes, they will send you a bill. If that's not paid, I think they then issue you a ticket. They have a photo of your license plate so you should definitely expect a letter in the mail!

So the turnpike no longer takes actual money? The sunpass is mandatory? We are driving down in June for our cruise and wasn't aware of this. How can they do that? So many out of town travelers use the turnpike and would not know this. They would be turned away and would have to find a different route?

Tina

So the turnpike no longer takes actual money? The sunpass is mandatory? We are driving down in June for our cruise and wasn't aware of this. How can they do that? So many out of town travelers use the turnpike and would not know this. They would be turned away and would have to find a different route?

Tina

A lot of money hungry states are doing this. It's supposedly cheaper and more convenient for you if you have a pass but for locals who rarely use the road or out of towners they will mail you a bill. You can still use the road.

Tina

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/about.html

No tollbooth on FL-112 to the airport. There is a tollboth in the other direction.

Just a point for discussion since the UK and the US share a heritage in Common Law, I understood in my law student days (like Camelot, long ago and far away) that it was unlawful to refuse payment in reasonable lawful tender, and any such refusal or unreasonable refusal of such tender rendered the debt null and void. Here in Spain most drivers either pay by a transponder system or by card but even the most remote motorway exit has a manned payment booth. Whether this reflects on the Spaniard's general dislike of strutting authority and their inclination to do something about it, or if is an employment scheme I do not know, but at least you know a toll station when you see it.

They usually just mail you a warning with a picture of you car / plate the first few times. I know someone who had a warning mailed to them. The photo is so clear that you can read the time on the clock through the back window of their car! But don't worry, you won't get a ticket until you run 3 tollbooths.

Just a point for discussion since the UK and the US share a heritage in Common Law, I understood in my law student days (like Camelot, long ago and far away) that it was unlawful to refuse payment in reasonable lawful tender, and any such refusal or unreasonable refusal of such tender rendered the debt null and void. Here in Spain most drivers either pay by a transponder system or by card but even the most remote motorway exit has a manned payment booth. Whether this reflects on the Spaniard's general dislike of strutting authority and their inclination to do something about it, or if is an employment scheme I do not know, but at least you know a toll station when you see it.

Please come with me on my next flight and discourse on this subject at length when the flight attendance requires payment by credit/debit card only (no cash) for a drink or a meal.

For anyone from out of town driving in, the rest stops on the turnpike sell sunpasses. I think the have one for $5.00 which comes with $5.00 preloaded. After that you have to refill it. Just put $20 on it and forget about it.

Archived