Sign & Sail account double charges?

ZiggyG

After our first cruise, I checked our AMEX statement online and it showed both the hold(s) and the final charge. When the statement arrived in the mail, the hold charges were gone and only the final charge appeared. I use my AMEX in port, but only on large jewelry purchases, at well known stores; the rest of the time we pay in cash.

Sorry this happened to you but it really depends on your bank and how long they hold the money

In the future, you can place money on your account before you get on the ship. It's like using the Fun Ship Dollars but we do it by calling Bon Voyage; this is better than carrying cash and when we board the ship we have our credit on the S&S card.......it's a great way not to have to worry about anything. We then have our credit card for any extra over the credit amount.

I thought you HAD to have have a credit card to put it all on??

So I can put down cash and work off that??

Even though I already filled out all my credit card info?

Credit card/debit card is not required. You can put down cash instead and Guest Services will call you to replinish if it runs too low (and will cut off charging privileges if it hits zero).

I thought I HAD to have a credit card, as well. Since I don't own a single credit card (and refuse to, life is waaaay better without any!), I had to use my debit card. I had NO idea I could use cash - despite all of the reading and research I did before hand, this was one subject I didn't stumble upon. Years ago, cash was the only way I lived, so my 1st 2 cruises were cash. Since they were so long ago, I just assumed that policies changed. Live and learn, obviously - in the future I will NOT give them my debit card and will ONLY use cash for our S&S. Sucks because it ties up all of my money.

I promise that this will be one of my biggest bits of advice for others!

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

As someone who has a background in the banking industry, life isn't "WAY BETTER" without credit cards. Credit cards only become an issue if you cannot manage them.

Just a forewarning: if you continue to travel and use your debit card you WILL have problems. Do not EVER rent a car with a debit card unless you want extensive holds put on your account. The same with renting a hotel. You have to be careful, because like I said before a debit card is NOT a credit card!

When you use a regular credit card, the company verifies what your available credit on that card is ($1000, $2000, ect) and it won't let you exceed that amount with your spending. There is no way for a company to do that with a debit card, so the only way to insure they get their money is to place a hold on your account.

Yes, credit cards "can" get people into trouble, but they can also have great benefits. I'm 25 and have amazing credit that I've established through credit cards. Making your payments ontime effects your credit score more than paying off a loan (mortgage included).

I thought I HAD to have a credit card, as well. Since I don't own a single credit card (and refuse to, life is waaaay better without any!), I had to use my debit card. I had NO idea I could use cash - despite all of the reading and research I did before hand, this was one subject I didn't stumble upon. Years ago, cash was the only way I lived, so my 1st 2 cruises were cash. Since they were so long ago, I just assumed that policies changed. Live and learn, obviously - in the future I will NOT give them my debit card and will ONLY use cash for our S&S. Sucks because it ties up all of my money.

I promise that this will be one of my biggest bits of advice for others!

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I'm not sure if you are maybe young or what, but if you don't open at least one card and start developing a credit history, then your credit rating will suck. You'll get horrible rates if you try to purchase big ticket items like cars, house, etc.... Debit cards may have a Visa or MC logo, but they do nothing for your to establish a reputable credit history.

The OP asked about a debit card. NOT a credit card. Unless you check your online CC statements you never see the hold and with some companies you never see them even if you look because they don't post them.

The holds are always places by Carnival, the question is who does you CC company deal with them.

The real bottom lines is that the OP used a debit card not a credit card adn they are very different.

Thank you for that input, But I know for a fact no holds have ever been put on my card or I would not have stated so. And yes I realize that the OP was talking about Debit cards and I was speculating that no holds were put on credit cards, at least not on mine (American Express).

Archived