Ketchikan Fishing

stephl101

We have booked our first ever family trip to Alaska and are so excited! I have searched through many threads in regards to fishing in Ketchikan but have not specifically found what I am looking for so I apologize if this has been addressed and I just have not come across it. There are 3 members of our group that are interested in fishing for Salmon but our time frame is limited. We are in on the Westerdam on July 14 from 7am -1pm. We have looked into half-day charters but with so little time we thought maybe renting poles and fishing at some of the suggested spots in town would work. I am wondering specifically where to rent poles and get the licenses and if and where there are any possibilities for having the fish caught, processed and sent home. I know this would be much easier on a charter but again we are looking for alternate fishing possibilities. Thanks in advance, I would love any and all info!

We have booked our first ever family trip to Alaska and are so excited! I have searched through many threads in regards to fishing in Ketchikan but have not specifically found what I am looking for so I apologize if this has been addressed and I just have not come across it. There are 3 members of our group that are interested in fishing for Salmon but our time frame is limited. We are in on the Westerdam on July 14 from 7am -1pm. We have looked into half-day charters but with so little time we thought maybe renting poles and fishing at some of the suggested spots in town would work. I am wondering specifically where to rent poles and get the licenses and if and where there are any possibilities for having the fish caught, processed and sent home. I know this would be much easier on a charter but again we are looking for alternate fishing possibilities. Thanks in advance, I would love any and all info!

There is a charter service in Ketchikan called experience one that has four hour fishing charters and will make sure you get back in plenty of time. Also he picks you up right at the same dock area as the cruise ship. I think he is priced right at $150. Do web search and look at his video. I have booked him for early July and after talking to him a couple of times seams like a real nice guy very pleasant.

Duane

My family of four is going to be there for the same amount of time. We are chartering a boat with Ken at Northern Lights. I've heard really good things about Ken on these boards. Of course, there are other really good operators there

Welcome to CC,

You interested in fishing like from the docks/piers or rivers around ketchikan? Or are you asking to charter a boat?

We like you had only 7am to 1pm in port. We like the other poster did a 5 hour private charter with Ken of Northern lights. The catching was good, but a lot depends on what week you are there as to what is running.

1885427211_200KetchikanLeavingforFishing.jpg.de8b00c37e07a82c73e3449c8932216f.jpg

1366358867_2405KingSalmon.jpg.0981f34fe094c0da08d035923bff9241.jpg

Your ship will be in long enough for a 4 hr guided trip. I would recommend doing a guided trip. We started fishing with Rick Collins with http://www.explorealaskacharters.com a few years back while on cruise. He is great. We now fly to Ketchikan every summer for a few days to fish. We got hooked more than the fish.

There is some fishing (mostly snagging) to be had at the bridge in town. This is not a place to get fish to send back home.

Good luck, and enjoy Alaska.

Remember to book early and do it independant. There are plenty of operators that do the 4 hr trip, but some are tied at the hip with the people that book on the ship. They usually have lesser quality boats and gear, and have specific spots they fish...not nescessarily where the fish are. Do your research, look at the boats, gear, and make a phone call. See if they treat you like a dollar bill, or like a friend...this is how they will treat you on the boat. Don't bother with who has the nicest video or photo gallery...even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes! The best advice I can offer is to make that phone call and feel out from there.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello, I know it's been two years, but can you tell me if any of you ended up using Ken with Northern Lights and if you were pleased with him?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sheri

We have previously booked with Ken, and highly recommend.

I contacted him again for this summer (called in late Jan) and he is already booked for the day we will be there.

So - contact early!

Hello, I know it's been two years, but can you tell me if any of you ended up using Ken with Northern Lights and if you were pleased with him?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sheri

I am probably the orginal "recommendor" of Northern Lights, with family members, consistantly having excellent trips, over close to 15 years. They've gone out at least 10 times with him.

Budget fully for processing.

You likely would have poor results, "shore fishing" in this timeframe, you are there way ahead of the salmon runs (although that is not the fish you want- within that proximity)

Archived