Need some advice

ISLAND DIVA

We just booked a cruise for the October 23 /11 sailing ,roundtrip from Barcelona on the Solstice.I need a bit of help.I am a bit baffled with the beverage packages,do they have wine cards ,where they punch your card when you have a glass of wine.The packages that I was looking at say that the price of 30-40 dollars per nite and cannot be shared ,we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and an occasional cocktail.That would not be cost effective for us per person.Am I reading that correctly.

Also we are use to travelling in the Caribbean in the winter so the weather is warm and tropical.How do we dress for dinner for this cruise where the weather would be cooler that time of year.I would assume not light summer wear.

We did ask for select dining but are waitlisted which does not make sense to me as it is your choice when you want to dine.I assumed that you would make a reservation when you wanted to dine and request a table size per nite on the ship.We thought it would be easier for the longer port days not to be locked in to a specific time.They also waitlisted us for early just in case we cannot have the select dining.They have us at the late sitting at 8:30 ,which is far too late for us to dine.Has anyone else ever been wait listed for select dining.

Sorry for so many questions.We usually travel Holland America .We have sailed twice on Celebrity.

Thank you in advance for your help.

You do not need to purchase a beverage package; just order drinks a la carte (one at a time). The drink packages only make sense if you plan to drink a fair amount every day.

The select dining area of the dining room only has so many tables, so once a certain number of people sign up, there is not room for more in that area - hence why you are wait-listed. Hopefully something will open up, but it is not a guarantee. If you have not been switched to select dining by the start of the cruise, try speaking with the maitre'd after boarding and see if anything opened up.

The clothes you'd wear in the dining room really are not impacted much by how warm or cold it is outside. The temperature in the dining room and all interior portions of the ship is going to be identical no matter if you are cruising in Alaska, Europe, Caribbean or what not.

We just booked a cruise for the October 23 /11 sailing ,roundtrip from Barcelona on the Solstice.I need a bit of help.I am a bit baffled with the beverage packages,do they have wine cards ,where they punch your card when you have a glass of wine.The packages that I was looking at say that the price of 30-40 dollars per nite and cannot be shared ,we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and an occasional cocktail.That would not be cost effective for us per person.Am I reading that correctly.

Also we are use to travelling in the Caribbean in the winter so the weather is warm and tropical.How do we dress for dinner for this cruise where the weather would be cooler that time of year.I would assume not light summer wear.

We did ask for select dining but are waitlisted which does not make sense to me as it is your choice when you want to dine.I assumed that you would make a reservation when you wanted to dine and request a table size per nite on the ship.We thought it would be easier for the longer port days not to be locked in to a specific time.They also waitlisted us for early just in case we cannot have the select dining.They have us at the late sitting at 8:30 ,which is far too late for us to dine.Has anyone else ever been wait listed for select dining.

Sorry for so many questions.We usually travel Holland America .We have sailed twice on Celebrity.

Thank you in advance for your help.

We just completed a cruise on the Equinox. We purchased the premium beverage package as it worked for us. It was one of the best things we did. That and upgrading to Aqua Class....would never travel any other way!!!!

The drink packages cover far more than wine or martini's. They cover coffee, bottled water, fresh juice and soda pop. So, basically, if you like to drink any of those drinks, then it makes sense to get the lower tier drink package. If you go with the ship's water, and whatever they have for free, plus a few glasses of wine, then you should just pay as you go.

As to the dining choice, it's far in advance of the cruise, so keep checking - and I'd check daily to get select dining. It will happen, you just need to be tenacious.

As to attire - well, it's late October in Europe, so you would wear whatever you would weat in late October at home. Pantsuits, dresses, long skirts, long sleeved blouses and tops, mid sleeve blouses and tops and a few sweaters with a possible leather jacket thrown in there for warmth.

Archived