Just off the Dream yesterday (4/23) - many thanks from a former lurker!

NCCruisingmom

This is my first post, but I have been lurking and learning here for months. We just got off the Dream yesterday and had a wonderful time. Thanks very much to all of you for providing planning info to me, even if you didn't relaize you were doing it. :)

I'm not really a trip report person, but I do have a few observations that might help another lurker.

The background:

My husband and I have previously cruised Carnival, RCL, Holland America and Disney. We have cruised to the Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, Alaska and Mediterranean. This was my first Western Caribbean cruise and his second. Our kids have cruised Holland America once and Disney twice. We travelled with extended family who had cruised RCL and Disney before, but never Carnival. The kids ranged in age from 8 to 13.

We all LOVED the Dream and had a fabulous time. Each family opted for two cove balconies - parents in one and kids in the other for each family. I probably would have never booked a cove if not for CC - we always book balconies, but usually on higher decks. We all loved the cove balconies - the cabins were great, the service was wonderful, and the location was great.

We thought the food in the main dining room on the Dream was better than we have had on RCL, Disney and Holland America. It was beautifully presented, always the right temperature, and very tasty. Our servers were very nice, very efficient, and lots of fun.

We booked excursions through Carnival for ease and convenience, although I know we could have saved money by booking independently. Sometimes the convenience is worth the extra price when travelling with kids.

We thought Carnival was a great value, and I liked that we could book two cabins for our family for a few hundred dollars more than one cabin.

The three younger kids had no interest in Camp Carnival. The oldest, who is 13, enjoyed Circle C. The three younger kids enjoyed Water Works, the pools and the hot tubs. The larger slides were closed on the last sea day due to high winds, but they still found plenty to do.

There were a couple of things I didn't like. I didn't care for having to check out towels at the pool or bring them from the room. I appreciated the blue Carnival towels when we went on excursions, but I would have liked if the nondescript white towels like the ones they have in the rooms and on deck 5 were available at the main pools. I find it more convenient with kids to send them to get a towel, then drop it in a used towel bin when they are done without worrying about losing a $20 towel. Not a big thing, but it would have been easier for us.

We all (adults and kids) thought the entertainment was average at best. Some of that was a result of travelling with kids - we liked Dancing in the Streets a lot, but I could have done without my kids watching the pole dancing segment. Carnival rated the show PG for costumes, but I would have preferred to know that the dancers were simulating a strip tease before taking the kids. I think it should have been rated PG for costumes and content - it would have given parents a little more info. I did read about the shows on CC before we went and wouldn't have given it another thought if I had been with the kids.

The Eight More Seconds show was just bad. My husband is a huge country music fan and thought the show was a New York City producer's view of country music caricatures. I'm not a country music fan - it was a very long hour for me. Once again, the dancers' thongs were not something my kids needed to see. The costumes were a bit too Vegas-y for us as a family, although in a different setting (i.e. no kids with us), it would have been OK. The singers (Sean and Ellen) were good, but the dancers were not synchronized. Maybe just an off night.

The magician (Magic Bob) was just terrible. My kids went to magic camp last summer for a week and could do all the tricks (he did three in an hour) that Magic Bob did. He was pretty funny, but once again, I would have preferred that Carnival place a PG rating on the show for language and for sexual innuendo. Had it just been the adults, we would have thought he was hilarious but a terrible magician. Since we had the kids with us and Carnival hadn't rated the show like it does the production numbers, the parents in our group cringed at several of his antics - they just weren't kid appropriate.

The Lido deck and The Gathering were very crowded during sea days. On Friday, the Pasta Bar stopped taking orders for a while because it had a one hour back-up. It is only open for 2 1/2 hours each day. Lines for breakfast and lunch on sea days would exceed 20-30 minutes. I'm not sure what the solution is - there are plenty of food options, but there are thousands of people trying to eat in a two and a half hour period. Maybe starting lunch earlier would help, but I think breakfast is still going on then.

We would absolutely cruise Carnival again as a family, and we would go on the Dream again. I wish the main shows had been better and had either been more kid-friendly or had been better identified as to content, but overall, everything was great. One difference was very well-stated by a Carnival team member at a comedy show - Carnival's shows are designed to be family-friendly (appropriate for all ages) rather than kid-centric like the Disney shows. We weren't looking for pictures with characters, but I could have done without the magician putting a sword between his legs and covering it was a bandana, suggesting how well-endowed he was.

I don't mean to focus on the shows as a disappointment because we had a wonderful time in nearly every aspect of the cruise. That was just the one area that I felt my research was insufficient and I thought it might help other parents of elementary and middle school kids. :)

Great report!

We will be cruising on the Dream in August with our three kids. We are going to stay in the Family Stateroom for five, which will be tight, but do-able!

We have been disappointing overall lately with the quality of the shows. Still a great time, still entertaining, but overall lacking in many respects.

Many times, now.. we just skip and make our own fun!

Catrin

The Lido deck and The Gathering were very crowded during sea days. On Friday, the Pasta Bar stopped taking orders for a while because it had a one hour back-up. It is only open for 2 1/2 hours each day. Lines for breakfast and lunch on sea days would exceed 20-30 minutes. I'm not sure what the solution is - there are plenty of food options, but there are thousands of people trying to eat in a two and a half hour period. Maybe starting lunch earlier would help, but I think breakfast is still going on then.

:)

Did you have to wait in line long for port days for breakfast on the lido deck? If so I was wondering did you get there when it first opened or after it was open for awhile...Thank you

Did you have to wait in line long for port days for breakfast on the lido deck? If so I was wondering did you get there when it first opened or after it was open for awhile...Thank you

No, we didn't wait on port days. We ate breakfast in the MDR on Thursday and Friday, but we ate at The Gathering the other days. We usually ate between 8:30 and 9:30 - it was more crowded later.

I was on the "Dream" cruise just prior to yours, and can identify with many of your thoughts. I too, overall, was very impressed with "Dream" and the entire cruise. I DID enjoy all three of the big production shows, but "Dancing in The Streets" was my least favorite. I enjoyed the "break dancing" for 20 or 30 minutes, but enough is enough for me. On the other hand, I'm a HUGE Country music fan, and I totally enjoyed "8 More Seconds". GREAT show, IMO. I guess it just proves that Carnival offers something for everyone! :p

I'm getting ready to book "Dream" again!

"SKY"

OP, you have instilled great hope in, I'm sure a lot of us, that not all "1st post reviewers" are trolls. Your report was very balanced. Thanks so much!!!!

One of these days I'll work up the nerve to get on the Dream. I just keep imagining all 4000(give or take) pax in the Lido Buffet at once, haha!

The Eight More Seconds show was just bad. My husband is a huge country music fan and thought the show was a New York City producer's view of country music caricatures. I'm not a country music fan - it was a very long hour for me. Once again, the dancers' thongs were not something my kids needed to see. The costumes were a bit too Vegas-y for us as a family, although in a different setting (i.e. no kids with us), it would have been OK. The singers (Sean and Ellen) were good, but the dancers were not synchronized. Maybe just an off night.

Although the show content didn't change in the process, the original name of "Extreme Country" was changed to "8 More Seconds" because so many passengers tended to avoid the show for its original title.

Numerous conversations with those involved in this particular onboard production have been quite interesting.

It was a tough job to re-block that show when Carnival made the personnel cuts and there were fewer dancers to complete the sets with a proper rotation. It's why that dance with the cowboy 'mannequins' tied to the girls is now somewhat painful to watch. :(

Thankfully the show has (or did have) a superb fiddle player to get the audience toes tapping, and keeping a few more butts in the seats for a while.

Otherwise . . . Meh!!

OP, you have instilled great hope in, I'm sure a lot of us, that not all "1st post reviewers" are trolls. Your report was very balanced. Thanks so much!!!!

One of these days I'll work up the nerve to get on the Dream. I just keep imagining all 4000(give or take) pax in the Lido Buffet at once, haha!

It felt like it on the day Roatan was cancelled!! Everyone went to eat at once.

Although the show content didn't change in the process, the original name of "Extreme Country" was changed to "8 More Seconds" because so many passengers tended to avoid the show for its original title.

Numerous conversations with those involved in this particular onboard production have been quite interesting.

It was a tough job to re-block that show when Carnival made the personnel cuts and there were fewer dancers to complete the sets with a proper rotation. It's why that dance with the cowboy 'maniquins' tied to the girls is now somewhat painful to watch. :(

Thankfully the show has (or did have) a superb fiddle player to get the audience toes tapping, and keeping a few more butts in the seats for a while.

Otherwise . . . Meh!!

The fiddle player was amazing! It was worth sitting through the mannequin dance (which I totally didn't get :confused:) just to see him. Everyone gave him a standing ovation - the dancers, not so much.

NCCruisingmom Thanks for the great review. So in your opinion was the pasta bar worth the wait? I have read of people raving about it , and I truly enjoy pasta way more than I should, but ...I do not want to wait an hour for it while on vacation. Did you lounge more on Lido or on Promenade? I was wondering if there were many children on Promenade or if it was mostly adults?

NCCruisingmom Thanks for the great review. So in your opinion was the pasta bar worth the wait? I have read of people raving about it , and I truly enjoy pasta way more than I should, but ...I do not want to wait an hour for it while on vacation. Did you lounge more on Lido or on Promenade? I was wondering if there were many children on Promenade or if it was mostly adults?

In my humble opinion the pasta bar was fantastic! Here's the menu that you order from...

pastamenu.jpg

Wonderful... and that's coming from an Italian!!!

:)

Back in '08 I was on the Glory. At the Lido Buffet, they had a little station where you walked up, told the guy "Can I get some spaghetti with meatsauce and garlic" and he had a skillet, and put a ladle full of already made meat sauce in to make sure it was nice and hot, mix it with the garlic I requested then dump it over some pasta. Just took a minute or two. It was sooooooo good. I was on Legend this past year and saw nothing like that, so I assumed it was a Conquest class thing. I sure wish the fleet would have that, cause I can eat Italian 7 days a week (sadly the scale shows it):p but not sure I would wait an hour for it on the Dream.

Mach. Thank u for the menu. That is really bad news for me and the deli because I may never visit it again. I usually love the ham n cheese or turkey wraps from the deli, but I may find myself at the pasta bar everyday at 11 .

Does anyone know if the spirit has a pasta bar? I will have many sea days to enjoy all of the delicious choices.

Mach. Thank u for the menu. That is really bad news for me and the deli because I may never visit it again. I usually love the ham n cheese or turkey wraps from the deli, but I may find myself at the pasta bar everyday at 11 .

Does anyone know if the spirit has a pasta bar? I will have many sea days to enjoy all of the delicious choices.

I was just on Legend (same class) and no pasta bar.:(

:D No pasta bar but a great deli :p

I will give you guys a little secret. The day you embark on the ship. Everyone boards the ship on deck 3 in the lobby and goes up the elevators to the lido deck on 10. Which brings you out on the forward side of the lido pool.

Everyone seems to stop and eat at the hamburger and hotdog place by the lido pool. Then the next half of the people find the buffet "the gathering" and stop at the first buffet line they come to. If you keep going aft. You will reach the second area of the buffet where the pasta bar is upstairs. Nobody at the pasta bar, nobody finds it until later in the cruise.

The biggest secret is the food line by the aft pool on the starboard side, never any line. There would be a line everyday for breakfast and lunch, but I never saw a 20 or 30 minute lines. I would just go to the aft pool food line across from the deli and never had a line.

We also just got off the dream yesterday, and had a great time! Loved the ship! Yes there were lines, but there are lines on every ship. I never waited more than 5 minutes in a buffet line all week.

We ate at the Pasta Bar the day we embarked and it was great! My oldest son ate there several times throughout the week.

We had anytime dining and had great service all week! This was our first time with this and will do it again! It is the only way to go for our family! Think the longest we waited for a table all week was 10 minutes, and that was just one night!

2 younger kids 10 and 6 had a great time in Camp Carnival! All 3 enjoyed the pools, slides, mini golf, etc during the day!

The only issue I really saw all week was people saving chairs, if you were not on deck by 7 you were not going to get a spot on the pool deck! But again that is not new to any cruise!

For a spring break week and I believe they said there was 1600 kids on board, I saw very few issues with the kids on board!

We would sail on the Dream again!

Do they ever give a reason why they are cancelling Roatan? We're doing this cruise in October.. so was curious..thx

From what I've heard on the boards, because Dream is so large, on particulary windy days it's too hard get it to the dock, because at Roatan, nost of ths ships have to turn around and back in.

We all liked the pasta bar. We also liked the burrito bar and the Mongolian station. I thought the main buffet lines in the Gathering were just OK, so we opted for burritos, pasta or Mongolian most days. The kids liked the pizza and the adults thought it was pretty good.

We spent most of our time on deck 11, either sitting at tables overlooking the main pool or in lounge chairs overlooking the aft pool. The kids were usually either at Water Works on 12 or in one of the pools or hot tubs, so deck 11 was a good base for them to be able to find us and for us to watch over them.

I did like deck 5 as well and hung out there when the kids went in those hot tubs. Deck 5 is very quiet with plenty of lounge chairs, and it was a nice spot on windy days.

From what I've heard on the boards, because Dream is so large, on particulary windy days it's too hard get it to the dock, because at Roatan, nost of ths ships have to turn around and back in.

Right. We had several windy days but were able to dock in Roatan. I was a little concerned because the Dream had missed Roatan two weeks before. Roatan was gorgeous - so glad we didn't miss it!

Archived