What excursions are worth doing with RCCL?

We have decided to do it on our own in Corfu, Greece, Nice, Croatia, Barcelona, and Venice. So what excursions are worth doing with RCCL in Rome and Florence?
My husband definetely wants to do the wine tour in Florence.

Let me first state, for the record, that we generally hate any organized tour, and have managed to see a good part of the world on our own. However, assuming you have never been to Rome, this is one of the few places that I strongly recommend taking a tour (for your first visit). The cruise line will normally offer a full day tour that includes the Vatican (not a good thing on Sunday's), most of the ruins, and usually will give you some time on your own in the shopping area adjacent to the Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain part of Rome. This is a darn good tour, because they can usually get you into the Vatican Museums (this includes the Sistine Chapel) without waiting in the long lines. As an alternative, you can also hire a private car/guide. As to Florence, we have spent a lot of time in Tuscany and its one of those "whats not to like" regions. Florence is an amazing tourist city worthy of several days exploration. As to the surrounding Tuscany and Umbria regions, you could easily spend months exploring vineyards and villages. Tuscany is blessed with many small family-owned vineyards, and any wine tour should be a winner for us Oeniphiles.

Hank

so of the Roman tours available from RCCL, would you say that "Rome, The Eternal City", "Imperial Rome", and in Florence "Florence & Pisa" are those good?
or can we just do "Florence on your own" and hope we can find good wine tasting place to go to?

If you are going to use the RCL tours, its a tough choice (private tours and another story). Personally I would prefer the "Eternal City" itinerary since it includes the Vatican museums (and Sistine Chapel). From the description on the RCL web site, it looks like the Imperial Rome tour only takes you to St Peters, but not into the museum (you need the museum tour to see the Sistine Chapel). Assuming you are not there on a Sunday, its hard for most folks to miss the Sistine Chapel. Florence is a different situation. Florence is a wonderful city, and certainly worthy of a full day or many full days. I do not think its all that reasonable to combine Florence with a visit to vineyards (although it is possible if you have your own guide). As to wine tasting (my wife and I love wine and vineyards) your husband will find plenty of wine choices at any cafe, or wine shop. You might want to consider returning to Italy for at least a week so that you can really explore the wine regions. If tasting at vineyards is your real priority, than you might want to skip Florence and take the wine tour or get a private tour to Chianti and some other parts of Tuscany.

Hank

Archived