UK Blog Post: Would you sue?

LauraS

• Administrators

Sad news this weekend: Janet Richardson, the 73-year old passenger on Cruise & Maritime Voyages’ Ocean Countess who took ill onboard and, when being taken off the ship in a stretcher was dropped into a frigid sea, died Saturday. The accident occurred March 29. Richardson, who’d developed internal bleeding during her cruise, spent at least [...]

More...

No.

It was an unfortunate accident and until the post mortem is completed, no-one knows if the drop into the sea had any detrimental effect on the lady in question since she was already very ill before she was taken off the ship.

Speculation helps no-one as to why it happened or if anyone is at fault...and no amount of money can bring the lady back to her family.

Goldryder ... 8 minutes in the sea in minus temperatures will have had an effect on this lady! whether that was the cause of death ie Hypothermia we will have to wait and see, though it is strange why they chose to remove her from the ship in the way they did instead of requesting a Helicopter medivac especially as she was diagnosed with internal bleeding!

I think it is too early to consider suing or not. The family are grieving and dealing with the loss of a loved one.

However some questions have to be answered. Did the cruise company play a part in the death? At the moment we do not know, we can only guess. If it is proven beyond doubt that the cruise company are at fault or partly at fault then the family should do what they feel is appropriate for them.

It does not matter who is at fault.............. someone is!!!!

Be it the Ocean Countess be it the people who were removing her from the ship.

Someone undoubtdly should be held accountable.

I am not one of the breed who believes in suing for everything and anything, but if negligance has been shown in any respect whatsoever a) I think they should sue and b) I think prosecutions should follow.

8 minutes in ice cold water potentially due to negligance is clearly a case for restitution and prosecution.

In the local paper, the husband mentions that the police are being involved in the probe. This was a farming couple from Windermere, who retired to the Penrith area. The wife had a diabetic condition, which caused complications.

Jo.

Archived