Is Carnival Superstitious?

Toast1412

That's not true. I know that NCL (at least the one ship I was on, the Pride of Hawaii, now the NCL Jade) has a Deck 13.

Interestingly, although most hotels do not have a 13th floor, they do have XX13 room numbers. Interestingly, on my honeymoon, our hotel room number was 1413, in a building with no 13th floor, which means it really should have been 1313. I wonder why they would think that a 13XX room number would bother people, but not a XX13 room number.

Maybe because it's technically "1413", not "13"?

I really don't get this 13 stuff. But I kinda understand why they would take out 13. It's not necessarily the company is being suspicious. It's more about the money. If people tend to shy away from 13, there will be less people booking cabins in deck 13.

What I always thought was funny... Even though they skip floor/deck 13, the 14th floor is still technically the 13th floor with a different name... So whats with all the fuss?:p

I've always thought the same thing! Deck 14 is the 13th floor!

We just got off the Spirit this week and while we were waiting for our disembarkation number to be called we noticed that there was no number 13.

As the cruise director was calling out the next numbers he actually said "12, 14, 15, & 16, there is no number 13".

We figured it was because some folks are superstitious.

I personally love black cats and walk under ladders every chance I get.:D

~Pam

A little bit of 13 trivia

The famous HOLLYWOOD sign in California used to say HOLLYWOODLAND. I believe it was put up to advertise a Housing development going up at the time.

That was also 13 letters.

Sadly several people (mostly actors whose careers either tanked or never came to be ) jumped to their deaths from the last D. Not only the 13th letter but also situated at a high enough point in the hills to jump and kill yourself.

The sign had by then become a well known tourist attraction , but the city decided to shorten it to just HOLLYWOOD which is so well known today.

I've seen the same thing in hospitals with highrise towers. No 13th floor, goes from #12 to #14. To me that is even more odd than changing the numbering of decks on a cruise ship. Fussing over your deck or cabin number that you will have on vacation is one thing, but do they think patients will balk over being admitted to the hospital if they are to be in a room on the 13th floor? You'd think if you are sick enough to need hospitalization you'd be willing to overlook the floor number, but maybe not.

Likewise in Vegas hotels, #13 is often avoided. Wynn has no floor 13, and also avoids #4 or 40 through 49 due to this being a bad luck number in Asia.

I remember some gal in a women's health forum I was on trying to reschedule an operation which she desperately need that was sent for October 31st in the evening, she felt it was the Devil's Night or some such.

I told her that if she was so religious she should have faith in her god that he will protect her even if it was the Devil's Night.

I've seen the same thing in hospitals with highrise towers. No 13th floor, goes from #12 to #14. To me that is even more odd than changing the numbering of decks on a cruise ship. Fussing over your deck or cabin number that you will have on vacation is one thing, but do they think patients will balk over being admitted to the hospital if they are to be in a room on the 13th floor? You'd think if you are sick enough to need hospitalization you'd be willing to overlook the floor number, but maybe not.

Likewise in Vegas hotels, #13 is often avoided. Wynn has no floor 13, and also avoids #4 or 40 through 49 due to this being a bad luck number in Asia.

I work in a building that has a 13th floor

Maybe because it's technically "1413", not "13"?

I really don't get this 13 stuff. But I kinda understand why they would take out 13. It's not necessarily the company is being suspicious. It's more about the money. If people tend to shy away from 13, there will be less people booking cabins in deck 13.

I've always thought the same thing! Deck 14 is the 13th floor!

Interestingly, Carnival seems to have room numbers 13XX on Deck 1, but they avoid XX13 room numbers. That is the total opposite of what I said about land hotels, which have XX13 room numbers but not 13XX room numbers.

I work in a building that has a 13th floor

I think it's mostly hotels and hospitals that avoid the 13th floor. When I was a grad student at MIT, any building (whether academic or residential) that was sufficiently tall did have a 13th floor. I lived in a building that had a 13th floor.

By the way, I read on Wikipedia that 85% of elevators do not have a button for 13. Is that only including buildings with 13 or more floors?

I was once in a hospital which had an elevator button MR in between floors 12 and 14. The MR stood for Medical Records. Not only did they avoid having a button 13, but it seems that they also avoided having patients on that floor. I did see a staff member get off on that floor, and, interestingly, the sign on that floor said 13.

I remember some gal in a women's health forum I was on trying to reschedule an operation which she desperately need that was sent for October 31st in the evening, she felt it was the Devil's Night or some such.

I told her that if she was so religious she should have faith in her god that he will protect her even if it was the Devil's Night.

Hmm. Wonder how that would have gone over in the hospital OR I worked at serving a largely orthodox jew population. "Hey, so it's Friday night, what's the big deal?"

I've seen the same thing in hospitals with highrise towers. No 13th floor, goes from #12 to #14. To me that is even more odd than changing the numbering of decks on a cruise ship. Fussing over your deck or cabin number that you will have on vacation is one thing, but do they think patients will balk over being admitted to the hospital if they are to be in a room on the 13th floor? You'd think if you are sick enough to need hospitalization you'd be willing to overlook the floor number, but maybe not...

I work in the Emergency Department of a local hospital. We have no room 13s in the ER...it goes room 12 than room 14...weird but true

Hmm. Wonder how that would have gone over in the hospital OR I worked at serving a largely orthodox jew population. "Hey, so it's Friday night, what's the big deal?"

Well, as a MOTT (although totally secular) I am proud tht we have enough sense to know that saving a life takes priority over religious law! Still, there are a lot of people in TT that put traditional superstition over knowledge of the law.

If I was looking at a cruise and the only cabin available was 13666, I would have no problems booking it.

I've been using 666 in a lot of my passwords -- I'll updated to that the next time I'm asked to make a change!

I work in the Emergency Department of a local hospital. We have no room 13s in the ER...it goes room 12 than room 14...weird but true

Yup. The hospital I work at only goes up to 9 floors at least for patient care areas. But my Dad was in a different hospital last week, & I've noticed this one skips floor 13. In the hospital I work at, one wing does have a room 13 on the regular wards. Very spacious corner room. I don't recall many patient comments on the number.

Archived