Bicycle Rentals in Cruz Bay/St. John's???

WalleyeLJ

Looking to spend our day in St. Thomas on St. John's. I want to photograph as much of the island as possible. My question is if anyone knows if there are bicycles available for rent in Cruz Bay once you get off the ferry. Any info would be much appreciated - thanks!

L.J.

St John is not bicycle friendly. You might want to rent a car or take an island tour. They will stop at the wide spots/ great views for you.

Thanks - I'm looking at the car rental options now! Any suggestions?

L.J.

Cruz Bay- Capital of St. John

St. John's -Captial of Antigua

First, I would ask why you would want to go all the way to St. John when you have such a finite time there? Getting to St. John is not an easy or cheap endeouver. Trip from the dock to Red Hook where the ferry is located is about 30 minutes each way (give at least 45 minutes to an hour on the way back for traffic)

Cost $10 per person each way - $40 based on 2 people

Ferry ride across to Cruz Bay 20 minute ride, plus waiting time at dock prior (figure 30 minutes total) If you miss the Ferry on the way back you are S.O.L. and will likely miss your ship or have quite a few 1000 people PO'ed at you if they should happen to hold it for you. (unlikely)

Cost $5 per person each way - $ 20 based on 2 people

So just to get there and back you have spent minimum $60 and 2 hours.

Driving on St. John - you can rent a car, but are familar with driving on steep, narrow, winding hilly roads? Oh and we drive on the left side of the road. Taxi will cost approx another $38 total to Maho Bay and back to Cruz Bay.

So forgetting food, a day to St. John will cost approx $100 and 2 hours of your time in transportation minimum. I am not saying St. John isn't nice, but I fail to see the reason why people would want to go through this expense and feel the pressure of having to be under a strict schedule while on vacation?

There are plenty of beaches on St. Thomas, away from the crowds with nice views, great water and facilities to make a memorable day. I'll be happy to recommend a few.

Scott

Archived