Whale Watching in September

whale-watcher

We are considering a 7 day sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Boston on September 11, with stops at Martha's Vineyard, Portland Me, Bar Harbor Me, Saint John NB, and Halifax NS. Has anyone had experience with whale watching from any of these ports? Would we be better off taking a pre-cruise whale watch boat out of Gloucester? Budget Queen has had great things to say about a 3 day small boat whale watching trip, but we have a 6 year old, so that won't work for us. Has anyone had luck spotting whales from the cruise ship on similar routes (we have seen some beautiful breaching Humpbacks from the Coral Princess in Alaska, and even managed to spot a few en route to St Thomas in the Caribbean, and wonder what our chances would be in New England...

Thanks!

A couple of years ago we spent a week in Maine during August (not a cruise). We took a whale watching tour out of Bar Harbor. We did see whales (two), but only one was up close enough to get a good look at and just for a very short time. So, I can't really give you a good recommendation for Bar Harbor. But I imagine that results vary from day to day and luck plays a large role in how well any particular trip turns out. Even without great whale viewing, it was a pleasant boat ride.

There are no whale watching tours our of Saint John. The closest is a 45 min drive to the west in Blacks Harbour, NB

http://www.whaletaletours.com/main.htm

1 800 214-6906

I would call this company. if you were willing to drive 45 min. and you had the time. you would probably see many whales.

the Highways to Blacks Harbour are good. and you would not get lost

By far your best options for whale watching is out of Gloucester and Cape Cod. Forget going out of Boston, too much time is needed to get out of the bay. If you have a couple extra days, Cape Ann Whale watching and Yankee Fleet are my top venders I use, they do a great job with their daily tours. Bar Harbor is iffy, rarely do you get a lot of sightings here on the short trips. The above suggestion out of Saint John sounds like a good option too, if you can't invest the time for Gloucester.

Avis Rent-A-Car

4 Water Street

Saint John, NB

E2L 2A5

Tel: (506) 634-7750

Fax: (506) 634-0466

Web: www.avis.com

Budget Rent-A-Car

30 CHIPMAN HILL DRIVE, SAINT JOHN, NB E2L 2A9

Toll Free 1-800-268-8900

Fax: (506) 632-0907

Hertz Rent-A-Car

Market Square Location

1 Market Square (Uptown)

Tel: (506) 696-2210

Fax: (506) 652-5006

For worldwide reservations and Information:1-800-263-0600

On the web: www.hertz.com

These rental companies are all within walking distance of where you will be docking. Avis is the closest, then Hertz, and Budget are about a 5 min further walk. Avis is about 5 Min from the Terminal

• 1 month later...

My daughter and I took a whale watching tour out of Bar Harbor in late September a few years back. We saw a mother and baby humpback whale once we were outside of Frenchman's Bay. They got fairly close to the boat too and we were able to watch them for quite a spell. They seemed as curious about us as we were of them. The tour we went on had a refund policy if you didn't see any whales on the tour. I imagine they bring the "plastic" one out in emergencies (hahahaha!!!), but we saw the real deal close up and for a lengthy period of time. They do have rules about staying back from them I think, but if they come up to the boat themselves, you get a real treat. I got a little sea sick, but I would do it all over again.:p

We are considering a 7 day sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Boston on September 11, with stops at Martha's Vineyard, Portland Me, Bar Harbor Me, Saint John NB, and Halifax NS. Has anyone had experience with whale watching from any of these ports? Would we be better off taking a pre-cruise whale watch boat out of Gloucester? Budget Queen has had great things to say about a 3 day small boat whale watching trip, but we have a 6 year old, so that won't work for us. Has anyone had luck spotting whales from the cruise ship on similar routes (we have seen some beautiful breaching Humpbacks from the Coral Princess in Alaska, and even managed to spot a few en route to St Thomas in the Caribbean, and wonder what our chances would be in New England...

Thanks!

There are a number of one day whale watching cruises out of Gloucester , also out of Quincy - just south of Boston-- if you have a couple of days to spare, you can get a bout from Boston to Provincetown (on the tip of Cape Cod - about 3 hours across the mouth of Cape Cod Bay ) spend the night in Provincetown (it is a "gay" community, but still worth seeing in its own right) - take a whale watch boat out of Provincetown (they usually guarantee several sightings - as the waters near the tip of the Cape are filled with whales in late summer) - then return to Boston that afternoon.

Your chances of spotting whales from a cruise ship in New England waters are not that great, because the whales generally run close to the shore, while the cruise ships stand out to sea. Either way, I hope you have a great cruise.

Archived