Aitutaki and Rarotonga OR Raiatea and Rurutu?

jennyjayfl

I think at this point we have pretty much ruled out the 13 nights Fiji to Papeete sailing due to # of sea days, and not having the overnights in Moorea and Bora Bora and are now trying to decide between of of these two 11 night itineraries. I figured I had better start a new thread in based on this new topic.

For 2012 they offer 2 different 11 night itineraries, with all the same ports except one goes to Aitutaki and Rarotonga, and the other visits Rurutu (Astral island for whale watching) and Raiatea. Our main interests are in snorkeling and diving activities. Can any one offer their opinions on any of these ports and which itinerary would better suit us based on our interests? Is one of these islands a not to miss favorite?? Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed...

I enjoyed Raitea but loved Aitutaki - the lagoon is really beautiful. In Rarotonga we took the flight over the island to see the lagoon and it was just ok. Raro was good for shopping if you wanted to buy pearls and souvenirs.

We did the 11 night including the Cook Island this past July. You can look at my c]lengthy cruise review which I posted in July. It inlcudes a review of a 5 night pre cruise in Moorea at the Hilton with diving and snorkeling info.

The lagoon at Aitutaki is spectacular and the only challenge was whether to go on a lagoon tour with plenty of snorkeling or dive. We did the lagoon tour which I would do again, the motus are great. On Raro we did a 4x4 land tour and I would not do this again. I would look for diving options instead.

At Aitutaki the ship cannot get into the lagoon and on some cruises the water is too rough to actually get to the lagoon as the tenders can't make it. We did not have that problem but I would have been really disappointed if after a sea day getting to Aitutaki we could not get to the lagoon.

I did read your review Flight Medic and it was wonderful. I really learned a lot from all the detailed information. I like you enjoy researching a trip and that is why I rely on the knowledge and experience of fellow cruise critics for their input when planning a cruise. I too would be very upset if I selected the cook island itinerary and because of the weather conditions or seas the ship was not able to enter the lagoon. Has anyone experienced this or read on any of the threads what the ship did in place of visiting Aitutuaki or Rarotonga when this did occur?

I also discovered the 10 night itinerary as well which only has one sea day and still has the overnight in Bora Bora and Moorea, but instead calls on Rangiroa and Fakarava (Tuamotu's) which are supposed to be excellent for snorkeling and diving. Any thoughts on these islands? I welcome all replies, keep them coming!:)

On our cruise the crew told us that the prior stop in the Cooks was cancelled due to an impending cyclone but they knew that days in advance. They did not even head over to the Cooks but mades quick plans to stop at one or two islands in the FP region. On the cruise prior to that one they could not make it to shore and I don't believe they could make any other plans. Once on site in the Cooks I think it is either "good to go" or "no go", without options.

We did plan our own shore excursion on Aitutaki and the vendor did not require any payment in advance. This would be the only way I would book this as it would be a double whammy to not make it to the lagoon and also be charged for an excursion you did not go on. If you book an excursion through the PG you will get the $$ back if the excursion is cancelled.

When we went to aitutaki the tender was rolling really badly and it took a long long time to load - maybe an hour.

We left but after another tender I think they halted tendering until the seas calmed. Apparently that is not uncommon in Aitutaki or Rarotonga also some of the marquesas can be rough. We have been pretty lucky in FP and have always made our ports.

Archived