AFter cruising Disney, will any other line compare?

karajeboo

I guess my main concern is the kids programs on other lines, and being able to allow my daughter, age 10, the freedom to move about the ship on her own. This was so wonderful on our recent Disney Magic cruise, but is there another ship that will allow me to feel safe with her coming and going from childrens programs on her own?

I didn't have too many experience in other mass market lines myself, but have been reading in various forums here at CC. IMO, the kids club in all mass market cruiselines are designed to take good care of the kids so that they will have a good time and the parents will feel safe. If you have one or two other cruiselines (or specific ships) in mind, do a search in the respective forums and see what people talk about their kids club experience to get a better idea.

At the end, only you can determine whether you feel safe or not.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the other posters. All the kids clubs are great but there are some that are better than others. I really love Celebrity- they tend to have fewer children than other lines and the counselors are wonderful. The program is addictive and your child may never want to leave.

I am hoping so. We've only cruised with DCL in the past, but have a Carnival cruise booked for this December. It's just getting too expensive to cruise with the mouse. I know it will be a different experience. I just hope it's good in it's own special way. Of course, if Disney offers kids sail free again, we'll probably be right back on with the mouse. :)

I'll be the dissenting opinion. :p

Even when my kids were on Disney, I didn't think it was "safe enough" to allow them to roam the ship alone. Cruise ships are miny floating cities. The cruise ship passengers are not background checked before they board.

And there are crimes at sea.

So, to me, it doesn't matter the cruiseline, kids are just that, KIDS. They should be accompanied. I don't allow my daughter (she's 11) to walk around our small town alone -- she can't walk alone on a cruise ship. ;)

I agree with that you should not allow your kids to just roam the ship. When they aren't in an organized activity they should be with you. I made the mistake of letting my child have sign out privileges on Royal Caribbean and found him swimming in the pool- something that he was told never to do without an adult. He was with other children and this stuff happens. So now I just check on him every so often during the day in the kids club to see if he wants to leave.

The kids clubs are very similar except there are no Disney Characters and the decor is tamed down. It's not on the Disney Steroids. :) (I say that in the kindest way possible!) I've found my DD gets more attention on the other cruise lines than on Disney.

As for letting my 10 year old run around the ship it will not happen. As previously mentioned anything can happen.

We've cruised Carnival only, so far. But, I can tell you that the camp counselors have always went above and beyond our expectations. We've cruised with kids from age 4 to 13 - we don't let them wander the ship alone though. Our oldest DD (now14) just earned the right to go through the mall with friends alone. DH or I one are in the mall at the time - but that's a freedom that she earned by proving she's mature and trustworthy enough. On our upcoming cruise she'll be allowed to go to the Circle C activities - there is no sign in or sign out. But, she'll still have to check in and live by the rules.

On Carnival - your DD will be able to sign herself in and out of camp, if you give her permission to do this. She'll have to be able to sign in/out to participate in the scavenger hunt(s) they have. You can set down the rules that you want - check in, no entering other cabins, etc. But, only you can decide what is best for your daughter.

I am hoping so. We've only cruised with DCL in the past, but have a Carnival cruise booked for this December. It's just getting too expensive to cruise with the mouse. I know it will be a different experience. I just hope it's good in it's own special way. Of course, if Disney offers kids sail free again, we'll probably be right back on with the mouse. :)

I feel your pain.....:(

Thank you to everyone. And yes, I am a very overprotective parent so when DH suggested giving her that freedom on DCL, I freaked at first. But she was always with a friend, or maybe she would race back to the cabin to get something we forgot. etc. But she met some great kids in the club (parents that we met as well though Disney message boards before we even boarded), and we set down very strict rules. If she checked out of club she had to come tell us immediately. Then she had to check in every 30 minutes, no going into ANY other cabin and nobody in our cabin, etc. She showed incredible responsibility. I guess knowing that the vast majority of passengers were there with children made me feel a bit safer. But we really always knew who she was with and where she was. I know it was just good for her to feel "free" and she felt trusted.

My son is allowed to go to the gift shop and come right back but that's it. I just can't worry about him finding me and having to be at a certain place, etc. It just didn't work for me the one time I tried it. Even when you travel with adults it is hard to keep track of each other. On one cruise I didn't see my some of my group for two days! Never ran into them because the ship was so big.

I think you are confusion safety versus amenities. I'm not sure why you think because you are on the "Mouse" ship and paying a huge premium that your child is safer wandering deserted hallways or stairwells to and from kids club or to the pool

I have sailed Carnival and Princess and feel they are just safe.

I guess my main concern is the kids programs on other lines, and being able to allow my daughter, age 10, the freedom to move about the ship on her own. This was so wonderful on our recent Disney Magic cruise, but is there another ship that will allow me to feel safe with her coming and going from childrens programs on her own?

Archived