What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

Ziggy7

Here's a couple (my dh thinks I'm over the top) I bring these little packs of Charmin toliet seat covers(8 to a pack) for going into ports. I take a pop up hamper for dirty clothes. It folds into an almost flat circle. I take travel mugs & go to the Neptune and fill them with wonderful cappucino. A soft sided, small cooler for taking bottled water & frozen wash cloths offshore.

I will definetly try the shoe holder thing for over the door. What a great idea.

Linda

You may want to check out

http://www.magellans.com/store/Toiletries___Kits___ToiletriesTW443F?Args=

tw443f_dt.jpg

We've learned to take along our own toilet supplies when we're on the road. So we've packaged up convenient kits for doing battle with the poorly-equipped restrooms of the world. Each envelope contains one toilet seat cover, a dozen or more tissues, and one pre-moistened towelette. H

How's that for convenience? 5 oz. Made in USA.

LOL as for the popup hamper for dirty clothes, I brought one from Walgreens for like $2.00, and used it on my 12 dayer..two trips to the self service... and left it on board. At that price it is use and toss.

blackbird71,

Just to clarify - we are not supposed to put anything other than the ship's toilet paper in the onboard toilets, isn't that right?

Thx,

Scrumpy

We've learned to take along our own toilet supplies when we're on the road. So we've packaged up convenient kits for doing battle with the poorly-equipped restrooms of the world. Each envelope contains one toilet seat cover, a dozen or more tissues, and one pre-moistened towelette. H

How's that for convenience? 5 oz. Made in USA.QUOTE]

• 4 months later...

The main thing is earplugs. Then I also take my personal (not work-related) laptop and my mini printer. That way I can share some of the digital pix I have taken. I have started having the waiter take our formal table picture when the ships photog's do. Then I print one for each person at teh table andgive it to them

blackbird71,

Just to clarify - we are not supposed to put anything other than the ship's toilet paper in the onboard toilets, isn't that right?

Thx,

Scrumpy

How's that for convenience? 5 oz. Made in USA.QUOTE]

That was not for use on the ship, but ashore. If your in room toilet seat is so bad you need a toilet seat cover... Welll :eek: You must be on _________ Cruise Line....

I love magellan's :)

kr436_dt.jpgTravel Duct Tape

shim.gif

What's on every packing list but can't be found anywhere? (Anywhere but Magellan's, that is.) Travel size rolls of duct tape! Their 16+ feet will repair tears, tack up fallen hems and bind just about anything for several trips. Two 8-ft rolls per order. (2" wide; 2 oz) Made in USA. :p

Just two items...

First is a sterling silver ball-point pen with the name s.s. OCEANIC inscribed on the side. This is a souvenir pen from the old Home Lines OCEANIC which was sent to me by a friend in New York who was once an Asst Cruise Director on the ship. Sadly my friend passed away a couple of years ago, but I carry the pen when cruising and use it on formal nights to sign bar tabs! It is part of the 'dress' ... as important as cuff links and shirt studs.

The other item we always pack.... a couple of boxes of Twinnings Irish breakfast tea bags. Ruth wouldn't move in the morning without her tea!

Stephen

I also can't travel without my over-door shoe bag--especially in the VA Vista cabins, where the desk no longer has drawers for storage:eek: --it was an absolute lifesaver for those little items that we no longer had a place to stash!

We also take our parrot/palm tree lights and "Republic of Margaritaville" flag to decorate our cabin--the small suction cup hangers work perfectly for hanging the lights from the ceiling--they are the perfect lighting for sitting on the balcony at night and not wanting the harsh cabin lighting to mar the beautiful moonlit evening (we've always sailed on a full moon--it's been very lucky for us)..

Power strips are a must!:D

Two things -- a spray can of Lysol Disinfectant spray and 3 clip clothespins. The very first thing I do is spray the entire cabin, drawers, bathroom, a/c vent, etc., etc., etc. Since we have been doing this, we have not gotten sick. The clothespins to clip on the bottom of the shower curtain to keep it from wrapping all around you in the shower. Learned this from another CC poster - it works.

I love the idea of the pop up hamper...I plan to get one for our next cruise! Thank you for sharing!

I also carry the small bottles of hand sanitizer in my evening bag--we use them before dinner, after handling the menus.

We always bring binoculars so we can see what ships are on the horizon, viewing ports,etc.

I love magellan's :)

http://www.magellans.com/mitcus/Images/kr436_dt.jpgTravel Duct Tape

http://www.magellans.com/mitcus/Images/shim.gif

What's on every packing list but can't be found anywhere? (Anywhere but Magellan's, that is.) Travel size rolls of duct tape! Their 16+ feet will repair tears, tack up fallen hems and bind just about anything for several trips. Two 8-ft rolls per order. (2" wide; 2 oz) Made in USA. :p

You can get duct tape in a flat package much less expensive at Walmart..It's called "Flat Pack Duck Tape" Yes, it says Duck & it has a little cartoon of a duck :) on it..You will find it in the hardware dept..

It's one of the best things I learned here...Discovered a huge tear in in our luggage in our hotel before we flew home from Santiago..The duct tape repaired the tear & we were able to use the suitcase for another cruise..

Decided not to push it too much & just bought a new one for the next cruise:) ..

Hey, Stephen, from Sydney. DH and I sailed on the Home Line Oceanic NYC, Bermuda, Bahamas, NYC in the Spring of 1978. The ship was fine, but the itinerary was lacking. Two ports in 7 days just didn't do it. I guess that the idea was just being onboard - not sightseeing. DH and I from then on chose cruises based on itinerary. I even recall the name of our dining room steward - Carlo Bruno, which is Charlie Brown in English. Enjoy your pen, a joy from the past.

Kay

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I can't get along without my small flashlight. On one of our HAL cruises, I bought a "Night Wallet" that slips in my pocket and holds my key card and driver's license for ease in getting on and off the ship.

I never go anywhere without my sketch pad. I enjoyed sitting on my verandah during this cruise and sketching ideas for future paintings...especially with the beautiful caribbean sunets as inspiration.

~e

My DH insists we bring gas masks. He gets the accident reports from the NTSB and insists fire on ships is a deadly danger. We also bring flashlights. I used to think it was silly but when we were getting ours refitted they assumed he was as officer on Carnival. The company's biggest client base.

We always bring thermal travel type coffee mugs --- in the morning they're great for filling up at the Lido - then taking them to the promenade deck to relax and enjoy the morning ---- in the evening they can be handy for mixing up a quick cocktail --- since they don't spill and hold about 16oz. we've found them to be a handy addition on board.

Lots of great tips here --- Thanks everyone !

I bought two for this cruise, plus the shoe organizer (to go alone with my duct tape, my flash light, my short extension cord etc that I learned from others before my other cruises.)

I love the idea of the pop up hamper...I plan to get one for our next cruise! Thank you for sharing!

I also carry the small bottles of hand sanitizer in my evening bag--we use them before dinner, after handling the menus.

We always bring binoculars so we can see what ships are on the horizon, viewing ports,etc.

Archived