Victoria BC cab boycott at pier

For anyone who is planning to take a cab from the pier in Victoria you may want to have a backup plan. I recently checked to find out if the cab boycott was still on but couldn't find any updates so thought it had ended. WRONG...it's still on with "no end in sight"! It has to do with the $200 fee they have to pay to pick up cruise passengers for the short Alaska season. :(

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/04/victoria-british-columbia-cruise-ship-port-taxi-boycott/167654/1?csp=Travel

I just talked to Blue Bird taxi in Victoria and the problem still exists but there are a couple of ways around it.

1. there is a bus right fro teh terminal to downtown

2. you can call from the terminal and if you book one they can pick you up

3. taxis are out on Dallas Road which is a very short walk fro the terminal- maybe 3-400 yds

Hope this helps

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if they added a new cost to me either but this is not much more than $1.00 per day. If they don't have a profit margin that can absorb that much extra business costs something is wrong. With gas prices going up so fast they must be losing way more than that per day in additional fuel costs.

Here is an article from yesterday's Victoria's Times Colonist. I am inclined to think that the matter will be resolved before long, the taxi industry can't afford to loose this kind of business. In the meantime CVS Cruise Victoria offers a shuttle service from the pier to downtown for $8 pp rtn or passengers can just step outside the terminal gates and take the bus downtown for $2.50 ($1.65 if you are a senior) each way...the fare must be paid in Canadian funds. Downtown Victoria is an easy 20 min level walk from the the cruise port.

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/...429/story.html

I am happy to learn that cabs can be had out on Dallas Rd. which I would have expected.

The Princess provided shuttle bus is 7.50 pp in Victora, at least according to the excursions prebooking service on the cruise personalizer. I'm not sure how that compares with catching a cab outside of the pier, but seems fairly competitive.

I kind of side with the cabbies. An extra fee to enter the port and pick up passengers directly is not a new expense I'd take on. However, with the cruise line aranging a shuttle bus to downtown that costs so little, I'm not sure that the cabbies have much leverage to get that fee to go away.

Putterdude a question.

We will be in Victoria on the Sapphire May 6th and will be going to Butchart Gardens. We have been there twice before but always on a Princess tour which we feel doesn't allow enough time. The cab was my plan B if nothing else worked. But with cabs on strike, Gray line now gone I might be forced to go with Princess.

Is there a better way to get to Butchart and return to the ship?

Gertz, I see the Sapphire in Victoria on May 13 from 8 am until midnight, I am assuming that is the cruise you are on??

If it is, then you have a couple of options, you can take the CVS Cruise Victoria from the terminal to the Empress Hotel and then transfer to their coach that goes out to the Gardens.

Or you can take transit, walk out of the terminal gates turn left and you will see a bus stop within a half block. Take either a #30 or #31 bus to the Royal Oak Exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus. Just tell the driver what you are up to and they will be very helpful.

ASorry Putterdude but there is no way you can go to the Empress and tehn get grayline to the gardens and have any time to see them. I can't even see how the Princess one does it in 4 hours.

I am not sure where the 4 hours or Greyline comes into play. On May 13th the Sapphire is in Victoria from 8am until midnight, that is about 16 hours (25 hrs if you live on the Sunshine coast;)) so a CVS transfer from their shuttle to one of their (CVS) coaches or transit would work just fine. I am very cautious about recommending anyone using anything other than a ships tour to the gardens during an evening stop in Victoria.

ASorry Putterdude but there is no way you can go to the Empress and tehn get grayline to the gardens and have any time to see them. I can't even see how the Princess one does it in 4 hours.

It's actually 5 hours; but I agree. Even with a private driver, it's a ½ to Brentwood Bay and the gardens. Hardly enough time.

Sat May 21 Victoria, BC, Canada 7:00pm Midnight

Sorry about that Putterdude. I didn't notice the date and didn't realize they stayed that long at any time.

Your recommendation is good then. There are taxis available outside the terminal on Dallas Road. I called a taxi company and they said that if someone calls and makes a reservation they can enter the terminal and don't need the sticker.

Sorry about that Putterdude. I didn't notice the date and didn't realize they stayed that long at any time.

Your recommendation is good then. There are taxis available outside the terminal on Dallas Road. I called a taxi company and they said that if someone calls and makes a reservation they can enter the terminal and don't need the sticker.

No problem....I would guess that a cab would have not have any issue dropping a pax off inside the gates at Ogden Point; do you have any insight on that?

I would think that wouldn't be a problem but who knows. It seems to be a standoff and I dont think they will move for a few weeks. I am not a fan of the harbour authority as they have a license to print money,charge what they want and spend what they want. A ohony attempt of government playing with private enterprise just like BC Ferries. Oops, getting political here. Sorry

Great information for those who are following this thread.

Hopefully the whole matter will get cleared up...from the TC article it sounds like a compromise was tendered and rejected. I hate to mention it but why not meter extra of say 50 cents or a $1 for each pick up at the pier...much like they do at airports.

Archived